Want a homebirth in Grand Rapids, but don’t have a home…or an apartment…lol - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're in Grand Rapids, MI and here’s our story:

We are missionaries who have been in Ukraine for almost 2 years now.  My wife is pregnant with our 2nd child and is due around April 15th.  We had been planning this whole time to have our 2nd baby here in Ukraine and were content to do so.  However, due to unforeseen events here with new visa laws, we have been forced to plan a last minute trip back to the states.  So now we are in a tight spot, being just over 2 months from my wife's due date, and are trying to get all new plans put together.  If it would work out, we would love to have this baby done at home with a midwife.  But therein lies the problem: we don’t own a house in the states or an apartment or any living arrangements; most of our belongings are overseas not in America.  We have family and friends in the Grand Rapids, MI area, but we are either too uncomfortable with some of them to give birth there, or some we have asked to use their house for this great event and have been turned down.  Sigh. 

So, we’ve considered a birthing center, but the one birthcenter within drive is in Okemos is already well booked.  I’ve considered renting a cabin at a campground for a month, lol, but they don’t work out very well.  I’ve had the crazy thought of finding a couple nice hotels and when the time comes rush to one, rent a room, and get settled in, lol.  Now I’m looking at renting apartments for a month, with no lease agreement and wondering if any short-term apartments would even allow a homebirth in one.  So, does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?  Does anybody have any ideas that I’m not thinking of of where to have this baby?  As time draws closer, it looks more and more that a hospital delivery is truly our only realistic option, and it's sad to have to accept that.  Thanks!

#2 of 17 Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Well, as to "not allowing" a  home birth...who has to know? if you could rent a detached house, really, your landlord would never find out.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#3 of 17 Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Do you have a church family that could help you find a place?

#4 of 17 Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM

well, if you're considering a homebirth, I'm guessing you'd be hiring a midwife right? why don't you ask your potential midwife (during interviews) this question...maybe she'll have some ideas..........

broc1.gif
#5 of 17 Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM

I know a midwife who has a detached room in her house that clients can give birth in if they need a place. Like the other poster said, you never know until you explain your situation. Good luck!

#6 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

So far I've contacted the five different midwife's in our area and three of them have said they'd be fine with delivering in a hotel, lol.  What I love about midwifes is that they love their work so much that they are willing to work with you so much. 

One of them has desired to start a birthing center here but it's not close to being finished yet.  A detached room sounds like a lot like a birthing center and I'm fairly certain if they were to do that in MI it would have to be registered as such, although I'm not certain about that.  I'm waiting to hear back from two of them and I'll have to wait what they tell me.

Nazsmum, unfortunately our church family isn't near where we're staying for this quick return trip.

#7 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Message Deleted
#8 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks rnra, that's a good resource.  I'm looking into it.  At the moment I'm not to keen on renting a weekly rental as the cost could get really expensive.  It seems that we would have to rent it starting two weeks before our due date and then just hope that my wife delivers early.  She actually did deliver 8 days early with our first baby, so there's hope.  Renting a cabin two weeks early quickly totals up to $1000 extra for the cabin if we deliver 2 weeks early, $2000 total if 1 week early or on the due date, $3000-$4000 total if 1-2 weeks.  That gets a little too rich for our blood a little too fast.

#9 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What about motels that rent by the week? I have known of B&Bs that quietly welcome births there as well, a MW in your area would have info if there are any around you. There are families that just run down to a local motel and rent a room. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 PM

You've mentioned that the midwives you've spoken with are okay with a "hotel" birth but you don't actually say if you've asked about birthing in their homes.  Have you specifically asked about birthing in their home?  They may have a former client who would be willing to open their homes as well.  If you're interested, I am friends with 2 midwives who are closer to Traverse City.  If you'd like to PM me your name, phone number, and an email addy, I could see about forwarding your info on.  Perhaps even a doula who could open his/her home. 

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thandiwe, actually no, we've never asked specifically to have the birth at one of the midwife's houses.  I wasn't sure if that was appropriate or not, and was uncomfortable doing it.  Actually, I was hoping one would volunteer that, lol,  I've done all but asked that, I was hoping one of them would have caught on

#12 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM

I am south of GR. My midwife is in Battle Creek, and she has added a room to her office where she has hosted a few mothers who needed a place to birth. I don't have many connections with the Grand Rapids midwives, though. If you would like my midwife's info, please PM and I will share that with you. I will be praying for you and your family.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#13 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM

OP, I never received any contact info from you, like an email address.  I am friends with some midwives and doulas who live in the GR/TC area, so I could easily forward your info on.  Otherwise, if you just decide to do a hospital birth, there are several doulas - plenty of whom I know - who would be able to assist with a hospital birth.  Good luck whatever you choose.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!

There is a small Amish owned birth center in southern Michigan.  If your interested you can PM me.

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...
#15 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and the replies!  Since several have recommended it already, I will try contacting the couple midwifes I've already contacted and try asking them they have a home open to birth in.  Thandiwe - Traverse City is just too far away, but if you know somebody in GR I might be interested in that.  Mom2SammyJoe - Battle Creek wouldn't be bad, but we'll try to get something in GR area first before going elsewhere.  If need be, I'll contact you later to get the info.  birthgreeter - Amish in southern MI sounds too far away as well.  It takes about 2 hours to get down to the border for me.  Where at specifically?

Thanks all for the help!

#16 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckline View Post

Thanks for the help and the replies!  Since several have recommended it already, I will try contacting the couple midwifes I've already contacted and try asking them they have a home open to birth in.  Thandiwe - Traverse City is just too far away, but if you know somebody in GR I might be interested in that.  Mom2SammyJoe - Battle Creek wouldn't be bad, but we'll try to get something in GR area first before going elsewhere.  If need be, I'll contact you later to get the info.  birthgreeter - Amish in southern MI sounds too far away as well.  It takes about 2 hours to get down to the border for me.  Where at specifically?

Thanks all for the help!

Midwives are strong team of cooperation.  They are in TC, but they will also know the birth market in GR.  I'm sending your email onto several doulas/midwives in the NW region and hopefully you'll hear back soon!

#17 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 04:40 AM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckline View Post

.  birthgreeter - Amish in southern MI sounds too far away as well.  It takes about 2 hours to get down to the border for me.  Where at specifically?

Colon Michigan

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page