Anyone using the fishy pool? (and other birth pool related questions) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Is this it?  

http://inhishands.com/Water-Birth-Pool-60-X-22-Deep.283

It doesn't look as clear as others I've seen but I wasn't sure if there's actually a difference or if it even matters.  Has anyone seen a better price?  

When did you/will you buy your pool?  I am due in May so I have plenty of time, but I have this fear that I'm not going to be able to find this pool if I wait and then I'm going to panic and not know what to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks like the one we used, though ours had a white top (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/60-x-22-Aquarium-Pool/dp/B000O1F20I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328504077&sr=8-1).

That's a good deal!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM

we used it and they stock it year round here: http://www.preciousarrows.com/category_s/34.htm

I am in canada and just had my baby 3 weeks ago..in canada in dec, no there isn't a better price. With shipping (to canada) it was around 60$ but that beats out several hundred for "real" birth pools. also here in canada I scoured every store and online place for another pool that was deep enough and not too huge with sides that wouldn't collapse and there was *nothing* I can assure you.

I used the pool through almost 30 hours of labour. It held up well and I'm so glad I had it. It did geta  bit squishy near the end though, just to warn you..not sure if it was all the temp change from constant water refilling or what...after about 24 hours of on again off again use and many partial refills with hot water I couldn't lean on the sides without suishing them.  But for the proce I was very happy for it. :) My toddler even went for a "swim" with me while I laboured! If I ahd the money I would have liked a slightly deeper one though.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#4 of 7 Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 PM

That is the pool that my midwife recommends. We haven't used it yet, but it's what I think I am going to buy.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#5 of 7 Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am a little worried about he depth.  I wish I could just know how deep I'm going to want it.  The hexagon shaped one is deeper but since it's bigger I've read it takes longer to fill and doesn't hold in heat as well.  Given that my last birth was only 3 1/2 hours (although my first was 28 hours so who knows with this one!), I want one that fills quickly and stays warm.  I get cold easily and then my muscle tense and then I'm in pain.  So staying warm is the key.  

How do you figure out how much hot water your hot water heater can provide?  And is there a way to know how long it will take to fill?  I don't want to do a trial run because I feel it's sort of wasteful but I also would like to have some idea how long it takes.

I have read too people mention a thing you attach to the faucet and that can be used to either put water in or take it out. It sounds perfect, but I'm not sure what to ask for if I head into a pet store or hardware store.  Anyone have a link to what people are talking about?

#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

My hexagon pool was full enough to birth in in about 30 minutes.  That thing was awesome!  My mother in law was the one who figured out what I needed for the faucet but if you go to the hardware store and tell them you want to connect a hose to your faucet, they should know just what to give you.

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#7 of 7 Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

We had to hook our hose directly up to the hot water spigot going to the washing machine because my midwife's faucet adapter broke.  I had a very quick labor that time, and our 40 gallon hot water heater didn't get it as full as the midwives were accustomed to, so they kept pots of water boiling on the stove trying to keep the temperature up (if you can borrow electric kettles from friends, they works far, far faster than stovetop).  It also helps to have an extra shower curtain or tarp to cover it while you're not using it to keep the heat in. 

Hot water tanks are rated by the gallon- 40 gallons is the most common I've encountered.  We had it turned all the way up a couple of weeks before birth (it was at 42 weeks, so we had far more time to plan that I cared for).  Once the super hot water was out, we kept filling until it was comfortable (still very warm), and by then it was half full.

This was my pool:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q0QTRW/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

If you have the space to store it, I recommend airing it up weeks ahead of time, because it takes a lot of time.  I also think you can get it more full when it has been inflated to 95% for a few weeks.

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page