Midwife wants to use castor oil and herbs...I don't want to - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am due July 2nd, my MW will be out of town like the 10th for a week or something like that. I went two weeks over with my son (2nd pregnancy) and had my daughter (3rd pregnancy) on her due date. I do NOT go early. My due date is the soonest I have ever had a baby. My MW wants to use castor oil if I haven't started labor by a few days after my due date! I don't like that idea. I have no issue trying castor oil a week or so past. But not directly after my due date. And I think it should be MY decision and idea.....not my MW. I don't want the cramps and running to the bathroom. I induced myself with my son, because it was either that or go to the hospital for pitocin. I made the choice for myself with my MW's support (different MW back then). 

In every other way I like her and trust her. But I don't want to go thru my pregnancy with this lingering issue that may arise.... what would you do? Another concern is I am not comfortable with her being out of town so soon after I have my daughter. What if I need to go to the hospital for something (breast infection, something wrong with the baby, etc etc)....she won't be there to support me (being an advocate for me with the hospital staff). What if I have nursing issues and need help? 

It hasn't been the easiest task to find a midwife I trust and like as much as her...ughirked.gif

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

You cannot control if your midwife is going out of town or not. Where these plans already set when you hired her?

I think it's ridiculous that she wants you to try to induce labor because of her plans though. It's important that you talk to her and tell her that you do not want to do that, end of story. Does she have a backup? I'd meet with the midwife that backs yours when she's not able to attend a birth.

Just like anyone else that works, people take vacation. Being a midwife is a very demanding profession, but they still do have lives outside of there work. It's very important that you talk with her and work out other arrangements now so that you have a backup plan just in case you need it.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM

If she had these plans when you hired her they should have been discussed then.  If she didn't, then she had no business (IMO) scheduling a vacation at that point knowing she had a client who was due right then.  Classes, conferences and the sort cannot be controlled, and they are necessary for continuing education, so if that is the case, then I'd cut her a bit of slack (although I'd still be peeved that she didn't discuss it with me first). 

Ask her who her backup midwife is and ask to meet that person ASAP.  If you don't click with the backup, do you have another option available?  I know around here there are lots of MWs, and if I don't click with a backup, there are other backups available.  But I know that's not the case everywhere. 

I would let her know straight out that you're not comfortable inducing just because of her scheduling issues, so she needs to have another option available to you.  If she has a problem with that, then she needs to refund your money and you need to find another MW. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM

I agree 100% with Cristeen.

and is this ain't working for you, find a new midwife.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

I can't imagine how this is ethical.  I tried castor oil and the cohoshes and they didn't work for me.  What if you do them and they don't "work"?  My baby wasn't ready to come at that point. 

This is a bit disturbing.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Most women want a midwife instead of an OB to avoid this kind of crap. 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify some things. Dh and I thought originally we would only be staying in this state (CO) and moving back east (OH) in April. MW and I worked out a fee that would cover prenatal care until that time and I would be moving back and getting care from the MW who assisted with my last two babies (in OH). So I came to her and told her last week "we aren't moving...how does July look for you?". She was genuinely happy that she could continue my care and would be assisting us. We got to talking and she filled us in on her schedule for July. I am under the impression (I don't really remember details) that her and her husband are working at camp for teenagers or something. 

..........I am just not excited about potentially needing to find another midwife. guilty.gif

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJones1204 View Post

..........I am just not excited about potentially needing to find another midwife. guilty.gif

There's no reason you should have to.  Talk to her about her backup. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I thought only evilt OBs induced for their convinces. You know, MW being in touch with Mother Nature and Godess would do not such thing.

Find a new healthcare provider.  The herbs are just same as medications, they may have dangerous side effects and the dosage is never really clear.  Studies have not showed castor oil to be actually effective.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

I thought only evilt OBs induced for their convinces. You know, MW being in touch with Mother Nature and Godess would do not such thing.

...yeah, clearly OP´s only option now is UC... eyesroll.gif

OP - I think you need to discuss this more with your MW. You seem to like and trust her, so might as well try to see if this can work. Was she fully serious about inducing you, or did she make an offhand remark, oh well, we can always try castor oil...? Did you tell her your objections then? What did she say?

What´s the deal with her backup? You need to meet the backup. If you like this MW, maybe she could be helpful in suggesting another MW she knows for you. No one lied about their plans, the circumstances just changed.

Where is the MW going and is she going to be fully out of touch? Would she be available by phone if you need advice? Or will she be close enough that she could come see you for a few hours if you had nursing or postpartum issues?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM

I agree with finding out who her back-up is. You can also hire a post-partum doula.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Your midwife also may make an assessment closer to your due date - to see if she still feels your due date is accurate or if it's off by a week or two, one way or the other.

Bottom line - you know you can say no to any induction methods if you aren't comfortable.  You know your midwife won't push you past your ability to say no.  Just suggesting the idea is not a bad thing, and I'll bet she will keep her midwife professional head on straight and keep your best interests in mind, especially as you talk over your preferences with her.

Birth is SO unpredictable anyway.

You're going to have a great birth.

Tags
Homebirth
User Tag List