Can you lean on the sides of a fishy pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am now trying to decide between the fishy pool and the official birth tub kit that I can rent from my MW.  Can you lean on the sides of the fishy pools? Will the sides support you in that way?  Also, can they handle the hot water without melting?

Thanks!

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 9 Old 04-27-2012, 05:08 PM

yep i leaned on the sides of the pool and they were supportive enough for me. also it was fine with the hot water, but we were just careful not to pour it on the walls obviously :)

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They are quite firm and you can can lean on the them. I always have. We just just a little water in the bottom of the pool before turning on the hot, hot water and it is fine. Our tank is small for it takes several times to fill the pool, we end up doing pots of water on the stove and that is fine as well. Just don't pour directly on the sides and you are good. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Yes and yes, but it's much more flimsy than a pool made for birth. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 PM

Yup, I had no problems with my fishy pool for either of my births. We poured boiling water right in it and I spent most of labor and all of pushing leaning on the side.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Whitney, I read to fill it up 1/4 with cold water...then the rest with hot water.

Also remember to turn your hot water heater up all the way a week or two before your due date so that you don't run out of hot water.

I'm planning on using the fishy pool when I go into labor.  We already have it blown up, but I'm curious if I have blown it up enough.  The directions say to fill with air 80%.  How do I know when it has reached 80%?  I don't want the walls to be too flimsy!   I'm sure the pressure of the water will help "fill the walls out" but I'm getting a little nervous about it...

#7 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Yep, I leaned on mine!  But be sure to use a liner like a shower curtain or specific liner!!  We didn't and my poor husband was fishing debris out and scrubbing it down for the hour and a half after I got out. greensad.gif  It was awful and he missed a bunch of time. He actually begged me not to use the pool with subsequent births because it was so much extra work on him.  So now we just use our bathtub. 

So be sure to use a liner!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#8 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 AM

Do a test run with the pool this way you know how long it takes to fill, you can tweak anything that needs it, spot potential problems, and decide where you best like the water to end. I think it should be very firm before filled but even so if I kneeled on mine I could feel our hardwood floor. I had to inflate a few times because it leaked so much and repair a hole before birth. No such issue with La Bassine. 

I've never used a liner. We threw the fishy pool away rather than clean it because we lived in an apartment and had no storage/further use for it. I cleaned the La Bassine about a week PP with little effort and diluted Dr. B and it was perfect. I think liners are gross and crinkly. If my SO complained about emptying the pool after I carried, labored and birthed our child I'd be pretty disappointed. Poor honey! You had to empty a pool. Next time I'll consider your comfort while in labor rolleyes.gif There's no reason to empty moments after birth. Later in the day is fine.   

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa kamuri View Post

Do a test run with the pool this way you know how long it takes to fill, you can tweak anything that needs it, spot potential problems, and decide where you best like the water to end. I think it should be very firm before filled but even so if I kneeled on mine I could feel our hardwood floor. I had to inflate a few times because it leaked so much and repair a hole before birth. No such issue with La Bassine.

I've never used a liner. We threw the fishy pool away rather than clean it because we lived in an apartment and had no storage/further use for it. I cleaned the La Bassine about a week PP with little effort and diluted Dr. B and it was perfect. I think liners are gross and crinkly. If my SO complained about emptying the pool after I carried, labored and birthed our child I'd be pretty disappointed. Poor honey! You had to empty a pool. Next time I'll consider your comfort while in labor rolleyes.gif There's no reason to empty moments after birth. Later in the day is fine.   

First, I agree that a test run is a good idea.  Second, liners are completely normal in pools you borrow from a midwife, rent, etc, so I suppose it's a personal comfort level.  There are some nice thick inner shower liners that are so smooth and non-crinkly, you don't even notice them on the bed of the pool.  And third, I suppose everyone has to act in their own relationships, but I sure hope everyone else considers their spouse/SO's feelings!  I couldn't imagine being crass and just saying, "Forget your feelings!"  Perhaps I delivered the baby, but his feelings matter and he sure picked up the slack for the next week while I recovered!  I'm glad he expressed his feelings instead of lying to me.  But I suppose we're all different?  shrug.gif  A liner can solve a simple problem and I wish someone had mentioned it to me.  It is a drowning risk for small, small children when left up.  We co-sleep and were in a small space. The idea that our small 2 year old could drown in a deep basin of water while we slept after the 12:30am departure of our midwives (not to mention it was very, very bloodied from significant tearing) was motivation enough to not "just leave it up" for hours.  But, like I said, we each work in our own comfort level.  winky.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Homebirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page