Need a MW in Maryland - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies.  I just found that I am pregnant with my 4th.  My most recent pregnancy was a HBA2C in Illinois.  Is there anyone out there that can help me with a provider that would assist a woman with this type of history?  I am not opposed to a CPM. 

Thank you so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM

PM me and I will give you a few ideas.

CPM's tend not to want to be listed on message boards - especially in MD.

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40biggrinbounce.gif***45

Home Birth LDS Homeschooling Mama to geek.gif DS1 - 7 yo,  demon.gif DD1- 3 yo, and preggo with our 3rd. nocirc.gif  aabfwoman.gif

Old 05-21-2012, 12:47 PM

A lot of women in MD are in the same boat - it's really hard to find MWs who will do HBACs in MD. I'm researching for myself and found only one who will come to Baltimore area (http://riversidemidwifery.com/), but there are practices for southern MD. If you can tell me what area you need, I should be able to send you a list of CNM practices. I'm also considering hospitals if I can't swing the $$$ for home birth but I would rather HBAC if I can.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Depending upon where you are, MAMAS might be an option. There is also a practice out of Elkton (near DE) the name of which escapes me, but they do attend homebirth as well.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Try ICAN of Baltimore for sure if you haven't already! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Oh, and the only way I could afford hospital birth would be with MCHP. Had that with DD1, needed it because my regular insurance wouldn't cover the whole birth center and then I needed the c/s. :(

Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM

I e-mailed the home birth midwife I am considering (will be meeting with her later this month) about the climate for HB in MD and she suggested to ease possible transfer that I could establish parallel care with a hospital MW or OB. Can anyone tell me if they've done this, with whom (and at what hospital?), if they told the hospital person that they were seeing them for transfer reasons (and if so, how the hospital person took that) and how it worked out? Thanks.

Really wish I could move to a better state. TX or OK look good to me (I want to homeschool too, eventually), but $$/jobs/family/apartment lease are all ties keeping me here in the Not-So-Free State.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM

MrsTani, I'm located close to you and I've emailed EVERY midwife I can find online and none will come to me...can you let me know who you've found that is willing to come to our area?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Not all MWs in the area will have email, GG, nor will that be the best way to contact them at this time. I think many would be a bit weary about answering questions electronically. Why don't you try calling them. 

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Not all MWs in the area will have email, GG, nor will that be the best way to contact them at this time. I think many would be a bit weary about answering questions electronically. Why don't you try calling them. 

Interesting that you say this, I have gotten "accidental" e-mails from a CPM practicing in MD a couple times now. She and her office staff are intending to message patients and get me instead. I wish they would pick up the phone and call because I don't think e-mail is working for them!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Everyone I've emailed has answered and some have given me suggestions for other midwives who are closer to my area- I haven't come accross anyone without an email or else I would call them.  But I've contacted everyone I can find info for and I feel there are more midwives out there for me to contact, it's just that I don't know how to find them. 

Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Where are you located? Did you try ICAN of Baltimore? Have you tried neighboring states? 

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciesgrl View Post

Everyone I've emailed has answered and some have given me suggestions for other midwives who are closer to my area- I haven't come accross anyone without an email or else I would call them.  But I've contacted everyone I can find info for and I feel there are more midwives out there for me to contact, it's just that I don't know how to find them. 

The reason I suggest calling over email is I have a feeling folks are reluctant to respond via email. First of all, there would be a trail but also it's easier to get a feel for potential clients over the phone. I understand the desire to contact as many care providers as possible but I think in MD at this point one is lucky to find ANYONE willing to attend a HB. Of course, if you haven't found a HB MW that you like, I'd be moving on...having planned two HBs I would not have one with a care provider I wasn't comfortable with. 

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM

My 2nd was born in MD. We could not find a homebirth midwife and ended up going to Special Beginnings Birth Center. It was not ideal for me. I do not like being in the car in labour. They also have four midwives and two were there at my birth (which is fine) and two nurses I had never met. The nurses kept trying to talk to me and touch me and wouldn't leave me alone. I prefer being left alone but the nurses didn't get that. When I walked in no one believed I was in labour but I was only there about 5 hours before my son was born. He was breathing too fast and they kept a tube with oxygen near his face, he only breathed normal when nursing. After a few hours of this they suggested we go to the hospital to make sure there wasn't an issue (the water had also broken the night before). Before we got to the hospital he was fine. But the stupid hospital wanted us to stay two days and the nicu nurse was mean. My main CNM though managed to get me a room though. After all that I figured out that he had a postieir tongue tie and a lip tie. Tongue ties are associated with odd breathing in newborns. The ties was confirmed by the LC who does free help at Special Beginnings. I find it odd though that the midwives, all the nicu nurses, and the two "lactation" people at the hospital didn't figure it out sooner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTani View Post

I e-mailed the home birth midwife I am considering (will be meeting with her later this month) about the climate for HB in MD and she suggested to ease possible transfer that I could establish parallel care with a hospital MW or OB. Can anyone tell me if they've done this, with whom (and at what hospital?), if they told the hospital person that they were seeing them for transfer reasons (and if so, how the hospital person took that) and how it worked out? Thanks....

My first was a HB in Ohio and couldn't find an OB to take me at all (even before discussing HB), mostly because I refused an US. Now I am pregnant with my 3rd and I asked for a referral from my dr, I told him the midwives I wanted, but he gave me a referral for an OB. She only works at the 3rd closest hospital by distance (4th by time) to me and she didn't seem comfortable with a HB. Her secretaries were also terribly confused by me, for example I filled out their paperwork oddly, like refusing tests I don't need (and then they lied that the HIV one was required by law) and omitting the ultrasound one. Anyway, I don't have a 'backup' even though my midwives would prefer that I did.

User Tag List