Mothering Forum banner

Waterbirth or Doula?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  phathui5 
#1 ·
I'm having my first baby this November and want to do a home birth. However, I'm still debating whether or not to do a waterbirth or not. Do you find that's its much easier to birth in a birthing tub? Because of our financial situation, we really only have the option for one of the two things: paying for a birthing tub or paying for a doula. I don't think we'd be able to do both.. which would be more important to do in your opinion?

#2 ·
If you're having a homebirth, there are lots of options for waterbirth tubs that are inexpensive. Check out the little fishy pools, I think they are called. Also, if money is an issue, try to use a student doula, or a student midwife to provide your support. Talk with your midwife; I bet she knows someone who is needing birth observes! Good luck!

#3 ·
Waterbirths can be done a variety of different ways. You don't need a massive birth tub. Is your bathtub big enough? If not, I second the above suggestion of a kids' blow up pool. They're pretty cheap and work just fine- and you can use it again in the future. Also, your midwife/doula might have one- I had a waterbirth and used the midwife's tub.

If push came to shove, I would prefer the waterbirth over the doula, but then again I've never had much of a desire for a doula to begin with.

#4 ·
I don't understand why you can only have one or the other? Like I said in my other post, as a midwife, I give all the comfort & emotional support a doula does, at no extra charge. I also loan out my birth tub, to my clients, at no extra charge. Anyway, if you had to choose, a doula costs way more than a tub. The kiddie pool sold at yourwaterbirth.com is only $35. which works just fine. & a drinking water safe hose to fill it costs around $10, at any Walmart, Lowes, etc. You don't need an air pump if you have an air compressor, if not, you can buy that for $25. & it comes in handy for lots of other things.If you can'r afford that, a hand/foot bicycle works to.. your husband will feel like he's the one in labor by the time he has it blown up, not ideal, but possible. Find it with camping supplies. A sump pump for draining it makes it go faster, but just siphoning it works as well, so no need to buy that.

Waterbirths are often called "aquadoulas" or aquadurals" they do decrease the intensity of the ctx so well, but of course a tub can not massage you or tell you how great you're doing, or give you reminders help you cope. They both serve different but overlapping purposes. Have you asked your midwife about thses things? perhaps you are worried needlessly, she may already provide these services. If not, maybe you should switch HCP to one who does.

#5 ·
Thank for all for the suggestions! I was considering having the kiddie pool but my mdiwife said a lot of people find that it's not deep enough during the labor. What do you guys think? Have you ever had that issue? If not, I will definitely try to look into the kiddie pool since it would save us a lot of bucks! Unfortunately my bathroom tub isn't quite big enough :( My midwife does provide a water tub but at an additional cost for rental so that's where the issue came in with money. We could either rent the tub from her or have a doula in the birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post

If you're having a homebirth, there are lots of options for waterbirth tubs that are inexpensive. Check out the little fishy pools, I think they are called. Also, if money is an issue, try to use a student doula, or a student midwife to provide your support. Talk with your midwife; I bet she knows someone who is needing birth observes! Good luck!
Also, using a student doula was the other option for me since having a regular doula would be too expensive. We were thinking to hire a student doula who is currently not experienced but would have a handful of births by the time I delivered. So that being said, would you guys stick with hiring the student doula if you were in my shoes? Would you consider it more of a luxury to have a doula or very useful especially for a first baby?

#6 ·
Quote:
Also, using a student doula was the other option for me since having a regular doula would be too expensive. We were thinking to hire a student doula who is currently not experienced but would have a handful of births by the time I delivered. So that being said, would you guys stick with hiring the student doula if you were in my shoes? Would you consider it more of a luxury to have a doula or very useful especially for a first baby?
I bet your midwife like others have said have a person in training on their wing. I was pretty set on not having anyone but myself, husband, midwife at our birth. My midwife/ND had a intern that was also a midwife/ND in training and it was the best having her support. I had no idea where I wanted to birth in our home. We decided to have every option available to me while birthing. I got in and out of the tub (aquadoula) a few times, loved the birthing ball (exercise ball) but ultimately gave birth in the tub. I went for the aquadoula because I am quite tall and the fishy pool wasn't a go for me. I wonder if you wanted to rent a tub if your midwife would work out a payment plan, etc. Worth a shot!

#7 ·
I am a birth and postpartum doula in Indiana. Check with your midwife, local LLL group, or anything related and see if someone knows a doula who is wiling to work for a discount or maybe one who is working on certification and is working for free or discounted. Check out the DONA website and contact a doula in your area, even if they aren't working for a discount they may know someone who is. I don't know any doulas who would turn someone away just because they can't afford to pay. Even if they can't do it themselves they can help point you in the correct direction. I so wish I would have known this when I had DS. I wanted a doula but didn't know many would work for discount or free. I think a doula could have made my birth so much better.

Also like someone else said your midwife may provide labor support durring your birth. You should talk to your midwife and see when and how long she's at your birth. She might also have an assistant she brings with her who can also help with support.

Good luck!!

#8 ·
I think the doula is definitely more important than the water - especially if this is your first birth. You need to have an honest discussion with your MW - i think it really depends on the area you live in - but many MW are busier than OB's and they do not 'labor sit' - they show up at the end, catch the baby, and get going....

My first HB my M W showed up very early in labor - walked around with me , did the laundry with me....lol - and eventually rubbed my back as my contrx got stronger . i thought i wouldnt neeed a doula for my third birth (my 2nd HB) and i was dead wrong. The water did not help as much as i thought it would and i needed some direction! Im sure you can find a student doula you like who will work cheaply ...and when you have a great birth - you will not care WHAT you had to pay for it!

Another idea - off the beaten path perhaps - but if you have any sort of services to trade - for example my sister once worked for a family as a labor and pp doula and the husband in that family was a licensed carpenter and built her a new set of stairs for the front of her house... doesnt work for everyone but worth a mention!

#9 ·
Don't write off negotiating with a more experienced doula either. When I was working as a doula, I was happy to give discounts to homebirth families because it was so much less stresstul than doula-ing a hospital birth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.