How to afford a home birth? (Money raising ideas?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to figure out how to afford a second home birth. The only CNM I could find who's willing to do HBAC and able to come to my area (Owings Mills, MD) for the birth (prenatals in her office in WV, quite a drive greensad.gif) costs $4K global fee (plus other extra fees for tub, supplies, etc.) and doesn't take insurance but will submit for reimbursement. I really want to avoid a hospital VBAC if I can but I am hesitant about the distance to her office. My last HBAC was under $3K but there's no one else I can find in Maryland who's licensed to do HB and willing to do HBAC. So the big question, if I don't want to drain my savings of the remainder of my tax refunds to pay for this, how do I pay for this? How can I afford a home birth? Any money-raising ideas? Thanks.

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTani View PostSo the big question, if I don't want to drain my savings of the remainder of my tax refunds to pay for this, how do I pay for this? 

Savings? A part time job? Second job? 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM

be thankful you have tax savings that would cover it :)  Mine is about $4000 but that includes mileage- we just put aside all bits of cash and at the end it works out :)  I mean it is over a span of 9 months- so it isn't like trying to fine $4K in a week...  You could babysit, sell some extra stuff, maybe there is some wiggle room in your budget, DH could deliver pizzas or mow lawns....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM

sift through everything in your house and find items that you don't need/want and sell on ebay or tag sale.  you might have some things that are worth some good money, but are important to you.  however, the homebirth may be even more important and you might be willing to part with it.  every time my hubby and i need some extra $$ to put towards something, he becomes the ebay king!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page