OB in Cedar Rapids IA who would be willing to be a backup for homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

that pretty much covers it. i am having a hard time finding an OB who will be ok with doing shadow care for me. I am planning a homebirth with a midwife. the midwife is a DEM and has no backup doctor she works with. i just want someone in case i have to transfer. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

LionessMom- What about going to whomever you want and just not telling them about the planned home birth?  You are like 37 weeks aren't you?  So that is like what 3 appointments and a late U/S?  Maybe?  That is what I had when I switched care providers at 37 weeks with DD.  I intended to have her in a hospital though- but if I wanted shadow care I would just not show up for the birth and everyone would be happy :)  Does your DEM suggest anyone based on who her other moms have gone to?  Mine does and that is how I found my backup- but he is a family dr who delivers- not an OB.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

none of her clients wanted shadow care before. i specifically want to have a doctor that i would meet before hand to attend me in case of emergency transfer. i understand i will get who is on call but if i had a doc in my corner then they would have to call them and they could help make sure my needs and wants are met instead of being completely at the mercy of whoever is on call. i really dont think this is going to happen and i am just ready to give up trying to find someone. i am 35 weeks. and it doesnt seem like enough time to get to know someone anyway.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#4 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Well I think you would be fine just making an appointment without telling them about the home birth then.  Is St Luke's where you would go?  I could call my cousin and see who she went to- she did as natural as possible there...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page