Water birth with a bad hot water heater... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For baby #3, I really want to do a homebirth, specifically a water birth at home. However, our hot water heater is cranked ALL the way up, and we still can only get 5-10 minutes of hot water every 2-3 hours... obviously not ideal for filling up a large birthing tub :P. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Could I boil water and put it in the birth tub? Also, we're looking to rent an Aqua Doula if that makes any difference!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM

If your labour is long I see no problem with heating via stovetop. Am I making things up or does the AD have a heater, some way to maintain temperature? 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I've had long labors with both kiddos, so I do expect another long labor with #3(I know all births are different, but odds are against an easy peasy quick labor lol!). I wasn't sure if boiling water would ruin the birth tub or not(I plan to rent it, so probably need to return it in good condition)

I looked on the AquaDoula site, and can't really find anything if it comes with a heater :(

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#4 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM

A trial run would give you a good idea as to how long it would take. A digital thermometer may keep you on track. Not sure how practical that is with the AD, I've only used inflatables. With all pools I believe you put cold water in first and, of course, never pour boiling water onto the sides of the pool. Even filling from a hot water heater you'd do cold water, hot water, finish with cold water. 

I looked and the AquaDoula does come with a heating system. I think that's more for maintaing temp rather than heating up cold water. At least once you got your temperature right it looks like you wouldn't have to worry about keeping water boiling. I'm not sure how far in advance it all works but seems like a great option for you!   

#5 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Our water heater in the apt building is not the greatest. I only spent a little time in the tub (transfer to hospital was needed). But we did fill it once.

Before the birth, we went to our local charity shop, bought a bunch of big old soup pots, and did the stove top thing. My midwives would pour boiling water into a pticher or other container with water right from the cold tap to create warm water then pour into the tub. We also had the neighbors standing by to help with heating water if we needed it. I think if we hadn't done that maybe an extra hotplate would've come in handy.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#6 of 8 Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM

OK- perhaps it is time to get a new hot water heater?  If you rent- it should be fine to tell them it is NOT working properly.  If you don't rent and are electric you can get them from your utility for like $100 usually.  If you are propane or gas you might need a service call- because you should have plenty of hot water to do this.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#7 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Does anyone near you rent the Spa in a Box? It sounds perfect for your situation.

#8 of 8 Old 06-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Aqua Doula is large, the heating elements only maintain lukewarm water, does not heat cold water. Buying a $35. "kiddie pool" from Your Waterbirth or In His Hands, is a little smaller, not to mention much cheaper! It serves well as a birth tub. I like the inflatable tubs better in general than the hard sided ones, much more comfortable to lean on! And they have softer (inflatable) bottoms, which the AD doesn't. I think B-p-i-a-b is way too large for comfort & most water heaters. Heating water on the stove in large canning pots works well.

Small world dept.: I went up to Anchorage for a birth once! ;)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page