Shadow care suggestions for Baltimore, MD area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to meet later this month with home birth midwife (CNM) Nanette Jenkins (Riverside Midwifery) for a free consultation to see if she is the one. I had a successful VBAC in 2010 at home, but with the climate for HB so hostile in MD I haven't been able to find anyone closer who's licensed in Maryland who is willing to travel to my area (NW Balto. Co.) and work with me (I am not interested in seeing anyone who's not licensed to practice in MD, it makes it too complicated and puts her at risk). I e-mailed her about the HB-hostile climate and she suggested to ease possible transfer that I could establish parallel care with a hospital MW or OB.

So I need advice on how to go about doing this, and if it's even worth it. Can anyone tell me if they've done this, with whom (and at what hospital?), if they told the hospital person that they were seeing them for transfer reasons (and if so, how the hospital person took that) and how it worked out? Thanks.

I really wish I could move to a better state. TX or OK look good to me (I want to homeschool too, eventually), but $$/jobs/family/apartment lease are all ties keeping me here in the Not-So-Free State.

#2 of 5 Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM

I dont have any advice :(  I vbac'd at home in 2010 as well.  I dont know what we would do if we were pregnant.  I didn't know nanette was still practicing.  thats wonderful!  

i have heard of going to see an OB/MW group and just pretending that you are planning to deliver with them usually at the hospital closest to your home where you would transfer in case of emergency.

might be a good idea if you have an risk factors that would put you in a high risk category.  like being a vbac maybe?  although i dont consider that high risk personally.  i consider risk rate unknown due to no studies being done on NORMAL birth. my guess is that its very very low.  but still.

we are in perry hall, but use to live over in OM too.  Im looking at Idaho personally for homebirth homeschool friendly :)  one day we will escape!!!  one day :)

goodluck!!!!

DD 5 1/2 years DS 23 months And a  pos.gif joy.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM

I'm in Carrol County and in the same boat, kinda. I started this pregnancy with a midwife, but she will no longer see me because of everything that's going on.  Since then I've interviewed SO many obs/midwives at local hospitals and was so disappointed with their "methods and mindsets".  I told them all I wanted a HB but couldn't any longer and instead I wanted a very natural hands off birth at their hospital. Absolutely none of them were supportive or understanding in anyway.

I finally did find a nice hospital midwife in Hanover, PA but she is the only midwife out of 6 obs and I actually haven't even had her for an appointment yet.  I did not tell anyone there that I was previously planning a HB, but did make it very clear that I wanted a natural birth. They seem fine with that, and not pushy.  

In the mix of preparing for a home birth, then being thrown back into a hospital, I did a lot of soul searching, reading, and research.  I've basically come to the conclusion that I'll birth at home anyway.  It will be without a midwife, but I have several educated & supportive women who will be there along with my husband.  If somethings happens between now and then, or even during labor, I will go to the hospital. Since I'm already in their system, I think it will be a lot smoother if I have to go in. When I birth at home, I'll just tell them it was an accident and things went to fast. Also making it smoother if I need to go in for stitches etc.  However appointments are a pain in the ass, and there is a lot of paper work and hospital BS.  I'm undecided if it's even worth it, I guess time will tell.

If you feel it's necessary, I'd just find a decent hospital and go for an appointment or two just to get acquainted.  They will want to know what other care you are receiving and what tests you had done/will need to do and blah blah.  You can tell them you are also seeing a midwife for a HB and are only there to get in their system in case something goes wrong. You do not need to tell them the name of your midwife.  You'll either get a  bunch of back lash, or appreciation for being "responsible".  It really just depends on the hospital.  Set up a consultation and if they give you grief say "thanks, but no thanks."  Some hospitals might not even want to see you if they know you aren't going to give birth with them ($$$) All you can really do is call around and see. 

Or not

If I had an actually HB midwife, I wouldn't even worry with a hospital unless an emergency arises.

#4 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Hey,

Just chiming in.  Not that I can be of help, but I am now using Riverside Midwifery for my care.  I love them!  I hope you love them too.

I'm sorry but I don't think I know of any hospital or doctor who would be willing to take you if you admitted to wanting a homebirth.  When I was thinking about using a CPM in Maryland, I was going to see a doctor and just not tell them.  Then just stop going after my 36 or 38 week appointment and request my records.  I came to the decision that was too much work, and when I saw an ob the first time - he was talking about advance maternal age and pushing me to get all kinds of unnecessary and stressful testing.  I was like, this is not going to work and I never went back.  Plus, I felt it too much work to decline everything and have to fight about it. 

When I asked about more naturally minded doctors, I couldn't find anyone.  I asked midwives, boards, etc.

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40biggrinbounce.gif***45

Home Birth LDS Homeschooling Mama to geek.gif DS1 - 7 yo,  demon.gif DD1- 3 yo, and preggo with our 3rd. nocirc.gif  aabfwoman.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Also, I wanted to say that I apologize for your situation.  I can totally relate.  I live in Northern Montgomery County and nobody would come to me.  I used Evelyn the last two homebirths and she was wonderful and is really missed.  UGH.  What is wrong with the state of Maryland? 

I had a choice between 2 CPM's (my insurance wouldn't accept period).  One I loved as she was my doula for the last birth - and the other was a total B on the phone.  I still can't believe it - and Riverside Midwifery.  Even though I know we made the right choice, i still dream of what my life would be like if i went with the other CPM.  She is so earthy - you know.

Anyway, Perry Hall is quite a bit away from W. Virginia (I drive about 50 minutes from where I live() but please don't let that deter you.  The trip is very much worth it.  The midwives and assistant is absolutely wonderful.

MyKidKissTrees likes this.

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40biggrinbounce.gif***45

Home Birth LDS Homeschooling Mama to geek.gif DS1 - 7 yo,  demon.gif DD1- 3 yo, and preggo with our 3rd. nocirc.gif  aabfwoman.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page