Lots of questions, please help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"MY choices/ideas/sources/thoughts/views are VERY in line with most of the women who post on this forum..the home birth forum. YOURS are VERY out of line with most of the women who post to these forums."

And this is relevant to what, exactly?  I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to state an opinion unless I agreed with everyone else.

"Your criticisms are commonly insulting and you fear monger a lot."

Critiquing care is important and valid  -- especially in a world where the most recently reported statistics for Colorado homebirth midwives show that 1 out of every 61 babies died under their care and where 28% of licensed Oregon homebirth midwives have open complaints against them.  Midwifery care is not some sacred cow that must be unquestioned.  And acknowledging risk is not fear-mongering.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#32 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Would love to see those stats from an actual source that does not link back to 'she who must not be named'. There is absolutely *nothing* I can find anywhere online about our supposed death rate that is not connected to her and her claims. 

#33 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 04:01 AM

Because, quite simply, the stats are being hidden (despite the requirements of Colorado law).  You want to verify -- why not do an open records request? 

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#34 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Would love to see those stats from an actual source that does not link back to 'she who must not be named'. There is absolutely *nothing* I can find anywhere online about our supposed death rate that is not connected to her and her claims. 

I believe that in Missouri, North Carolina, Oregon, and California the stats have been released in their annual reports on birth and death rates. Search the state government reports for these numbers. In addition, there have been many  news articles lately on high profile home birth deaths in Idaho, North Carolina, and Oregon and I believe some of those articles mention the stats you are looking for.

#35 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbuzz View Post

Because, quite simply, the stats are being hidden (despite the requirements of Colorado law).  You want to verify -- why not do an open records request? 

Come on, Buzzbuzz.  I had your back after your first few posts in this thread.  The OP's mw would not have been okay with me.  That's a lot of opinion to me and not a care-giver that would have a plan of action or best practices.  

My mw didn't think vit k was necessary and would evaluate after birth, but you can bet that I made sure she had it if it was needed. Same with the pit.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#36 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Yeah, so you haven't actually seen them either, but you know citing statistics you can not verify given to you by an unreliable source is always a good idea. 

#37 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM

NM

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#38 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM

NM

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#39 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 AM

bwg, just my two cents:

there seems to be lots of fear mongering in the other direction on mdc, too.  women who visit mdc who choose an ob/hospital birth/need surgical birth have to contend with all sorts of ridiculous anicdata, just so you know.  most people just ignore posts that seem unhelpful.  namaste.gif

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#40 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

NM

#41 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Broody, bummed I missed out on what you had to say crap.gif

#42 of 48 Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylove View Post

Broody, bummed I missed out on what you had to say crap.gif

Me too. I'm glad you call it when you see it.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#43 of 48 Old 06-17-2012, 05:54 AM

Fruitfulmomma -- You are a Colorado resident by your sig and you are entitled to put in an open records request which was how this information was obtained.  Just because no one else is reporting it doesn't mean it isn't true. 

If you are so sure Dr. Amy is lying about the stats in question you could certainly do a fantastic expose.  I think the idea that she would risk her credibility on a point so easy to independently verify is rather silly but certainly others may have a differing opinion. 

Out of curiosity, are any Colorado midwifery groups disputing the reported numbers?

#44 of 48 Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Wouldn't know and don't care. Her 'facts' about midwifery care legality are wrong. It has been legal here since 1993, not 2006 like she claims. And you'll notice that she doesn't bother to share these documents she has with her readers, which is what I would expect from someone who was exposing the truth. (By the way, where did I accuse her of lying?)

But she isn't the subject of this thread and neither is the state of midwifery care in Colorado. I only bring it up to point out that if you are going to continue to demand that the rest of us provide you with studies/documentation/whatever that you find credible, then you can extend the same courtesies to us and not throw out 'facts' from a source that no one in the homebirth community finds reliable or takes seriously. 

#45 of 48 Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I want to post to remind folks that personal disagreements should be handled off board. If you find you are repeatedly not seeing eye to eye with another poster, I encourage you to check out our ignore/block option.

When you are responding to things, you need to keep the focus on the post, and the information in the post - not on the poster, nor on speculation about the poster's motives.

If you see posts that are outside the UA, please report them.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#46 of 48 Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM

IV antibiotics for GBS aren't even proven to be effective at preventing sepsis in newborns.  Only when the mother had a bladder infection did IV anti's work at preventing newborns from becoming sick.   It is, however, proven to cause resistant bacteria (if your kids becomes sick later in life, antibiotics just might NOT do the trick in making them better)  in children exposed to these antibiotics during labor.  If a woman is positive for GBS, untreated, her child only has a 2% chance of becoming infected (2 in 1,000)  Yes, it is very serious. But the truth is, if it's going to happen, it's going to  happen. So why worry about it, and then pump yourself and your baby full of harmful antibiotics that have serious risks.  It's better prevention to have as little vaginal exams and interventions as possible, especially after membranes are ruptured.

BroodyWoodsgal likes this.
#47 of 48 Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Implementation of antibiotic treatment since the 90s has reduced neonatal sepsis due to GBS by 80%:

http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Citation/2011/04000/Committee_Opinion_No__485__Prevention_of.41.aspx

Per the CDC: "Other strategies to reduce maternal colonization and vertical transmission have been studied, including intramuscular  
intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis (67), antenatal (oral or intramuscular) antibiotics (69–71), and chlorhexidine vaginal wipes or douches (72–76);

however, none has proven to be effective at preventing early-onset disease. Although some nonrandomized studies on chlorhexidine have

yielded promising results (72,75), randomized clinical trials have found no protection against early-onset GBS disease or neonatal sepsis  
(76,77)."  

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/rr/rr5910.pdf  

It is possible to have an allergic reaction to Hibiclens.  Hibiclens is not intended for use internally and douching with Hibiclens is an "off label" use.

#48 of 48 Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 PM

I agree with BuzzBuzz, I did some of the original work with Heather Jeffreys at KGV in Sydney and the perinatal death rate from sepsis dropped dramatically after the initiation of GBS screening and treatment.So yes it is proven.

No valid research has been done to clarify the weight of other factors such as number of VE's or length of ROM. Would anyone be prepared to take the chance if the risks were explained to them . Really, it's guessing at best .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page