Natural treatments for GBS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering, if you have had any luck treating GBS with a natural regimen. 

I know there are options out there, but I want to know what works. 

Thank you for the input. 

#2 of 14 Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 AM

i am subscribing as i just got my positive test back. i see my midwife later today. i have no idea what she will say. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#3 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM

I did the garlic regimen and it worked.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#4 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 PM

my midwife told me to do garlic suppositories every other night. to do avc rinses every 4 days. to do shots of calcium betonite clay twice a day every other day and to do probiotics by mouth the other days. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#5 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

lioness mom, hope that clears things up for you. havent heard of the clay.

definitely upping the intake of probiotics, live cultures, fermented foods around here. 

probiotics 3-4 times a day

vit c 3-4 times a day

if that doesn't work then I will begin an olive leaf extract. 

#6 of 14 Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Keep trying mama, I hope it all works for you.

#7 of 14 Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppylove View Post

lioness mom, hope that clears things up for you. havent heard of the clay.

definitely upping the intake of probiotics, live cultures, fermented foods around here. 

probiotics 3-4 times a day

vit c 3-4 times a day

if that doesn't work then I will begin an olive leaf extract. 

my backup ob told me that she likes the hibiclense but had no problem with what the midwife wanted to do. i also read that a waterbirth reduces risk of transmission. i found one article that had some numbers on it saying that out of 4,962 water births in their clinic, only one baby got sick. so i am doing that too. i have rinsed with hibiclense twice already. that is supposed to get rid of it or bring down the load. i plan to use a probiotic suppository tonight to replace the bacteria with good stuff. the clay was supposed to rebalance the gut. i already drink loads of vit c. 

i have heard of olive leaf extract as well.

i am thinking the idea is to do what you can to reduce the gbs in the vagina and replace it with good stuff. supporting the immune system help to do it faster. everything i read says that abx during labor does reduce transmission but does not reduce the rate of illness and in fact causes the illness that happens to be resistant to abx bc of the exposure before. 

#8 of 14 Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

since I was GBS positive 2 times previously - my midwife had me take probiotics daily starting at 20 weeks and double dose after 28 weeks - I still ended up GBS positive :(    She was surprised it didn't work and said she's had about a 90% success rate.  One key factor though is that my dh didn't follow the regime of probiotics as she recommended and we did BD throughout the pregnancy.

She had me take a course of antibiotics, which I have finished and my due date is Saturday - if I'm still pregnant (and I expect I will be) then I start another course on Sunday.  

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#9 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

that's super cool about the waterbirth reducing transmission. I have read opposing opinions on this. (Mostly from other average folks, not midwives)

I am getting increasingly concerned about testing positive. I guess I just have too much time on my hands to think about the things that could go wrong.

I have started taking more probiotics (acidophilous) and drinking two packs of emergency a day. supposedly getting 2000 mg of Vit C.

#10 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 One key factor though is that my dh didn't follow the regime of probiotics as she recommended and we did BD throughout the pregnancy.

What regimen did she ask of dh?? And what is BD? Sorry, a little slow on the terminology around here. 

#11 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

sorry - I haven't been online since having my baby girl on 7/2!

BD - have sex.  My midwife says husbands/partners need to be treated for GBS too if you continue to have sex because they are carrying it as well.

Laura ~ Mama to three wild and wonderful boys , our rainbow baby girl on 7/2/12 and expecting #5 on 12/24/14

#12 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! Congrats! I hope you both are happy and healthy!

#13 of 14 Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM

DH and I bd up tp the day before i went into labor. i did a hibiclense rinse in the shower after every time. i also did a couple of avc rinses here and there. i did not do a hibiclense rinse while in labor but nothing had been put in there since i did the last rinse. 

i did do the probiotics. i took pills, ate yogurt and drank kombucha. i took the clay. i did not get a waterbirth as he came too fast but his water didnt break until right before he crowned so it cleaned itself for me. :) he was perfect and had no problems. he is now 4 days old and no sign of any problems. 

#14 of 14 Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

wonderful Lioness! Huge congrats! Glad you both are healthy! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page