Fort Meade Homebirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-18-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone!  I am new here, but I am moving to Fort Meade around October of this year and I will be about 5 1/2 months pregnant.  I had my first son in a hospital about two years ago and I really don't want to go that route again.  I am just having a hard time finding a midwife that is affordable to my budget, which is only around $2,000.  I was thinking about doing an unassisted birth, but my husband told me it's technically illegal on a military base for something along the lines of denying me medical care.  Which I think is outrageous.  But I am just starting to lose confidence in me having the dream birth I want so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you all!

#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

You might try posting in our Tribal Areas forum for your area to see if anyone has suggestions for Fort Meade area.

#3 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, you are out of range for MAMAs but you could try calling Susan Dodge. She is in Odenton/Crofton and prefers to stay in the area. Joey and Evelyn were in the area, but both of them now have suspended practices because their licenses were pulled. We're stationed at Meade but live in Crofton and, after my homebirth midwife dropped me, I ended up using Bay Area and birthing at AAMC. I had to birth in hospital because it was my 2nd VBAC.

I would suggest you not ask around to "make sure" that UC is forbidden. Technically, you are not bound by military law but, if something happened, your husband could get into trouble... I suppose. Of course that situation could be avoided if you lived off post. I doubt anyone on post would even find out that you UC'd, you  could easily lie to neighbors if you wanted to, but unfortunately your business is the military's business sometimes and it could be an issue for your husband if someone wants it that way. Why not get on Standard and shop around at the birthing centers? For the love of all that is good, stay away from Bethesda. I had one telephone call with a nurse there and I switched to Standard the next day. Utter morons.

#4 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM

I actually know a lady who had a planned UC while living on Ft. Meade. smile.gif At the time I was shocked because I wasn't yet open to the idea. That was about 12 years ago.

But I can't see how it would *ever* be illegal to UC. If you're worried you could just say it was precipitous. I mean, what's anyone going to say to that? You should have held it in longer? lol.gif
#5 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artekah View Post

I actually know a lady who had a planned UC while living on Ft. Meade. smile.gif At the time I was shocked because I wasn't yet open to the idea. That was about 12 years ago.
But I can't see how it would *ever* be illegal to UC. If you're worried you could just say it was precipitous. I mean, what's anyone going to say to that? You should have held it in longer? lol.gif

I would definitely tell them that. Like I said, no one is going to know what you don't tell them. Whoops, we didn't make it.

Make it a DADT situation, if that is what you want to do. If you've already gotten prenatal care, you will probably want concurrent care and "accidentally have the baby at home."

#6 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM

I don't know if you're still planning a UC, but I'm on Ft. Meade and I had our 2nd UBAC here on post no problem, no questions asked etc. It's not illegal at all! :)

#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM

It's not illegal to give birth in your home on a military base. We've had this conversation on here many times before on this board before the changes. You can tell them that you didn't realize that the baby was coming as fast as it did. Or that you were trying to labor at home in comfort as long as possible before going to the hospital.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You don't even have to tell them that, they don't care. We had our 2nd on Ft Meade. I asked where the hot water heater was because I planned on having a home water birth that fall, no one questioned it. My midwife had 0 problems getting on post.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page