Birth choices in MA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with my second child, and after a very traumatic hospital experience (although medically uncomplicated) with my daughter, I swore I'd only have a home birth. Then years passed, and the memory of how terrible that experience was sort of glossed over in my mind and with this pregnancy I started seeing a CNM at a practice in Wellesely. After the morning sickness passed this time around, I had more time to really think about it and I really want a home birth. However, I realize that having a solid back up plan in MA seems like the impossible dream. Of the two CPMs I met with, both recommended I actually see a hospital based CNM in addition to them just in case I need to transfer. It frustrates me that I would have to go to such lengths to have a back up plan, but I do have one more CPM to meet soon, so maybe she has a different take on it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has been transferred to a hospital in MA during a homebirth and what your experience was like?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM

I haven't transferred during either of my homebirths, but I have had two babies at home in MA (after one traumatic hospital c-section). I used a different midwife for each birth, but with both of them i had "back-up care" with a hospital based practice. CPM's in MA can't order lab work. We saw our back-up 3 times the entire pregnancy, basically whenever I needed a lab slip for bloodwork. It also "establishes care" in the event that you need to transferred. The back up may offer or suggest that you come in for all of the normal prenatal visits, but all of the CPM's I kno only have you go a couple of times, and our back up has always been fine with that.

#3 of 3 Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Mt Auburn midwives are really good about providing "unofficial" backup care, and they've been extremely supportive of my planned homebirth.   Many of them have given birth at home!  They just ask that you see them for 6 appointments during your pregnancy to establish you as a patient in the case you might need to transfer.  Then if you transfer for a non-emergent reason (like you need an epidural because of a very long labor) you'll be seen by the midwife on call like any other midwifery patient.  If you transfer for an emergency, you'll be seen by an OB (which is who you need in an emergency anyhow).  The backup care is actually quite convenient, because I just have all my lab work done through them and insurance covers it (whereas it wouldn't be covered if my CPM ordered it).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page