siblings at the birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We will likely have another homebirth and would like to have our other children at the birth. When I had my previous homebirth, my twins were 21 months. They weren't in the room, but came in as soon as  the baby was born. With this baby, the twins will be six and the little one four. There's a part of me that would like for them to witness the birth, but have some conerns. I know of one person who is a doula that was present at her sister's birth. She was seven years old at the time and found the experience life-changing - in a good way :) I do have concerns such as my dd freaking out witnessing the baby being born. She can be a nervous kid. How did your children react witnessing the birth of their sibling? How old were they at the time of the birth?

#2 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I'd love to hear answers to this too.  My DD is six, and while I would be fine with her there when this baby comes in August, I also have concerns.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

This post popped up on the forums main page for me. 

When ds3 was born, ds1 (7 at the time) was there. ds2 (almost 4 at the time) was sleeping. I wish more than anything ds2 had also been there and so does he. Ds1 is a very anxious and nervous little guy but it was an amazing experience for him. My H's adult cousin (who he is close with) was at his side. I am a wild and crazy birther too. Ds1 said that if I had been in a screaming contest I definitely would have won, lol.

There is that beautiful book about a homebirth that we read over and over. They live in the country and the dad and son have to go out to get wood for the fire and then the mother births standing up and then they all sleep together on the floor by the fire when it's over. i would recommend reading that - it's beautiful and graphic and detailed and speaks from the point of view of the little boy and he talks a bit about being scared and nervous. We had read it over and over and over.

Moral of my post - have them all there, but prepare them for the screaming and nudity and stuff :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page