Positive home birth story! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there smile.gif just wanted to share my really positive birthing experience and reassure some first time mums who are considering a home birth!
My pregnancy was textbook, I was low risk and I live about 30 mins drive from the nearest hospital. I live with my mum, boyfriend, my sister and my brother. What makes my story different is that my mum is a qualified community midwife, so gave me advice throughout the pregnancy and agreed to be there during the birth and one of the midwives required.
It was a planned home birth from the start.
My waters went at 40+3 at 11pm on the Wednesday night. I'd had no signs or symptoms of labour up until then. Contractions started straight away, although I didn't realise what they were at first. Woke my mum, who understandably said to go back to bed because first labours usually take quite a long time and I would need my sleep. Went back to bed but couldn't sleep. Identified the pains as contractions but they weren't really pains, just lots of pressure in my bum and coccyx. By 12pm I was restless and they were 3 mins apart ish so I tried to have a bath. This was horrific! Lay down and got caught on a contraction and couldn't move, horrible. Gave up on the bath and went and bounced on my ball downstairs with a bottle of lucozade. By this time it was 1pm, and I was starting to get upset thinking that I couldn't cope with this if I was only 1cm dilated or something.
My mum came down and found me like this and wisely asked if I wanted to be checked. I said yes, and she confirmed I was 4cm dilated and moving on really fast. Second midwife was called, who arrived at 3ish am with the gas and air. From this point it's quite foggy because the gas takes you out of it- amazing stuff! Got the urge to push around 3-4am and after about an hour of active pushing Evelyn was born at 4.45am, caught by my mum! My boyfriend happily cut the cord. Had 1 tear and 1 graze but didn't need stitches. 3 weeks on they were healed. Had a natural 3rd(?) stage and pushed the placenta out about 30 mins after birth. Was back in bed with baby after a bath tea and toast at 7.30am smile.gif brother woke up at 7 to meet the new addition.
In my opinion it was the perfect birth and I had my mum and the other brilliant midwife to thank for that. I did drink raspberry leaf tea from week 32 of pregnancy and I reckon that helped with the strength of contractions/speedy labour! X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your little one!!  Sounds like you had a wonderful birth experience!

Just me and DS.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Congrats! Your story sounds peaceful and perfect! 

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM

That's awesome! Congrats to you and your new baby. 

User Tag List