How was your newborn's hearing screen done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In my hosptial births, an audiologist conducts a newborn hearing screen. I am a little baffled about how to accomplish this with a homebirth.

Our ped does a simple screen ever few years for the older kids and we got a poor reading with a follow up at the associated audiology practice. The audiologist that I spoke to (associated with a major teaching hospital) didn't know anyone in her field that did them outside of the hosptial staff. I am guessing that I can eventually find a referral to the hospital staff but that seems like a hassle.

How/who/when was your newborn screened for hearing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My MW/ND gave us the referral and it was performed in an audiology practice thankfully by a kind woman that understood little ones.  My son was 3 weeks old (if I remember right).  I nursed him the whole time.  He was not into it at all until I nursed him. 

'09   
#3 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With DS it wasn't.  When we asked our Ped about it, he said he could write a referral for us to get it done at his associated hospital, but it was just something we didn't get around to...

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#4 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post

With DS it wasn't.  When we asked our Ped about it, he said he could write a referral for us to get it done at his associated hospital, but it was just something we didn't get around to...

same thing here. I even called around several different places and no one got back to me at all. He's 4 now and hears just fine. :D

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 AM

i had my pedi write up a request, and i called in to the local hospital, and had it done when baby was a couple weeks old.  i didn't do it at all w/ my first homebirth, but that was because the hospital gave me a LOT of flack.  pedi didn't think it was that important.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#6 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I didn't with 2 of my home births, with one I got a referral to an audiology center. They had never done one before like this but the hospital did not do them on "outside" newborns.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I didnt with DD. i kept getting letters from the state saying it needed to be done.  i called them and asked them what consequence there would be if i didnt get it done and they said there wouldnt be.  they told me i could take the baby to the university free of charge if i wanted to. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 13 Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM

I'm in Canada, so it seems as though it is different up here, but after my homebirth I had my dd2's hearing screened at my midwives office when she was I think 2 weeks old, at one of our regular visits. My midwife had a small handheld machine that had a small earpiece attached. She just had me hold my baby still and placed the earpiece in the left ear and tested, then the same for the right. I imagine most midwives in Ontario do it this way as they are regulated and paid for by the province.

#9 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is interesting, since the hearing test is the one thing I really do want for this baby.  I bet my ped will write an order for it if I ask, we plan to do both kids' appointments with the baby one to save time (the irony is that this time, I'll actually be following the OB's advice to stay home and relax AMAP, but it will be possible only because I'm doing HB!).  I don't see how they could give me flak for it, considering we almost went home without the test for our first one and she was a CS (they were busy and had to squeeze her in).  

#10 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

We just went to an audiologist with a referral from DC's pediatrician. It was pretty silly, IMO but cheap, covered by insurance, and harmless for DC so we just did it. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#11 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM

We got a referral at DS's 2 week checkup at out family practitioners.  It took less than a minute at the audiologist's office.

obstruct livery vehicles

#12 of 13 Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For whatever reason it is completed by the health department in the county we live in if it is not completed at the hospital. Our midwife gave us the info to make an appointment and on she filed the birth record we got a couple reminder calls. However we got busy and never took him. Oops! He is always looking around following our voices, so I'm hoping it's fine. redface.gif
#13 of 13 Old 09-17-2012, 07:12 PM

We had it done at our midwife's office. I wasn't even aware that it was something that could be done out of hospital.

Proud Mama to Ceili Fey energy.gif(3/6/03),  Elias angel.gif (vbac.gif  4/9/08-3/4/12), Noah blowkiss.gif (vbac.gif  4/21/09 ), Henry diaper.gif (h20homebirth.gif  1/30/12 ), and babyboy.gif Calvin  (hbac.gif 3/7/12).
  novaxnocirc.gif  winner.jpg  cd.gif 

candleflicker2.gifhttp://visitourcrazyhouse.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page