Did you turn up your hot water heater before your waterbirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will be having our third baby sometime in the next few weeks at home. Did you crank up your hot water heater before the birth to help in filling the birth pool? How long before the birth did you do it? And do you think it helped?

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

My husband had grand intentions of doing this so that the tub idea would work out perfectly, but it turns out that I used all the hot water in the shower during labor and we didn't have any left to fill the tub. Luckily, it was a short labor so I was focused enough to not really care in the moment. I'm not even sure if we would've had time to fill the tub. Those things take forever!

Mama, birth worker, and dreamer extraordinaire. slingboy.gif

Please read the NEW User Agreement.

#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM

We didn't.  We just moved and the house has a brand new hot water heater and it's awesome.  We filled the tub up and I complained it was too hot, which is so not me.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 6 Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM

We did, but we had to. It was a really old cabin in the mountains, in the middle of winter, with a small hot water heater. We had to fill the tub with hot (no cold), then wait 2 hours, then fill it up more with hot, then wait 2 hours, ... until it was full. I don't think the tub would have been as hot without turning up the water heater. Thankfully we got it filled before I started pushing. Just remember to turn it back down after the birth.

#5 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

We did -- figured it was an easy enough precaution. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM

we did. just a couple hours before. it heats fast. don't forget to turn it down well before doing any laundry/dishwashing. Aparrently you can ruin your appliances :) I put a sign on them to remind our midwives :)

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page