Thinking about a midwife assisted homebirth this time... (TX) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I was wondering if the midwife will file the paperwork for getting the birth certificate and if they would possibly do postnatal care and newborn check? It would be nice if they do it all, so I can avoid going to any doctors or to a registrar after the birth. I have never had a homebirth midwife, so I'm not really sure how that works.  Do some go to your house for prenatals or do you have to go somewhere else for them? Or it just depends? Thanks!

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I'm in OR, so this may br different where you are, here's what my midwives did:

*prenatal appts in their office 

*36 week appt is a home visit

*after baby is born the do home visits at 1 day, 3 days and 7 days.

*they did birth cert filing, ssn filing, heel prick tests, baby blood typing, my rhogam shot....

*2 week and 6 week postpartum visits at their office.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My home birth midwife did all of the previous posters, but she came to me for every appointment (which was awesome). We did take the baby to our family doctor at 10 days and then we needed to do a hearing test at the county (which we never actually did) otherwise we just stayed home and adjusted to life with baby number 2. I'm in CO, btw, not sure about TX.
#4 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is an association of Texas midwives you could probably look on their web site to find a midwife. There may also be a state health department listing of all LMs. As others have said midwives normally do regular appointments, but usually they spend more time talking with you. Some have you come to an office and some do all home visits. Midwives are legal providers in Texas and can file a birth certificate if they attend the birth. Insurance may or May NOT pay for their services depends... Find and interview local midwives.
#5 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I'm really sure I want a midwife this time, but it'll take some convincing for hubby because of the cost. I hope he gets on board because I am really not wanting to UC, but I will absolutely avoid a hospital birth unless there are any complications discovered. I want more prenatal care this time too and would MUCH rather do that with a home birth midwife.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#6 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

As to cost, not all midwives charge the same, and not all bill insurance the same.  And if you can get an FSA card from work, that would space the payments out over a year, deducted from the paycheck, pretax, so you save between 15-35% depending on your tax bracket.  Our insurance covers about 30% of the cost, so we're paying around 50% of the bill once you calculate all the tax savings, paying early, etc.  Assuming insurance actually pays, which is never guaranteed.  Its still significant, but not as bad if you can work the system in some way.  If you can't do any of that, most midwives also have flexible payment plans and will work with you on cost.   

#7 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

What is an FSA card? I've never really heard of it, but you're the second one to mention it to me.

My insurance is going to be through the state and although I think midwives are supposedly able to take it, they don't because the state doesn't pay well.

One place offers both homebirths and birth center births and gives about 1000 break for those on medicaid, but since they are attached to a birth center, I think it'd be easier to risk out with that type of homebirth midwife. So, I'm thinking to go with someone who doesn't have that kind of attachment even though she costs $300 more. She was also recommended as "hands off" if I wanted her to be.

#8 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM

My MW did the birth certificate stuff, the newborn exam, and came to me a few days after the birth. 

#9 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your answers. I have decided to definitely go with a midwife next time and hubby is on board. Sadly, next time will have to wait since I had an early miscarriage. Was my first ever. Anyway, Lord willing, I look forward to having another one in the future and we're saving up for a midwife now. If I don't end up needing the money any time soon, it never hurts to have a savings.

We actually met with the midwife I was thinking of going with because I didn't start to officially miscarry until that morning and we already had that appointment set. I did the first consult/interview and things went great. I hope I will get to use her in the not so distant future.

#10 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

grouphug.gif

Sorry for your loss, mama. I had an loss with my MW too - and needed Rogahm from her before having ever met her as a pregnant woman. It was odd. But I ended up having a birth with her the following year and it was nice to kind of have a second "birth" with her help. 

I hope you're getting all the support you need and are resting. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page