Homebirth Mamas - how long was your placenta in your freezer? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How long was your placenta in your freeze?
Aw, crap! Thanks for reminding me. 12 100.00%
Mine's still there but I've got big plans for it. 8 100.00%
I've got more than one because I'm a placenta hoarder - don't judge. 9 100.00%
Ours never even made it - we used it right up. 5 62.50%
Ew. 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I cleaned out my freezer recently and found my 18 month old's placenta. yummy.gif  I guess I'll plant a tree with it on her 2nd birthday. How long was yours in there? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 in mine hahaha! DS1 is 2.5 years and DS2 is almost 11 months. With DS1 I sort of forgot it, then we were talking about moving so I didn't want to plant it in the "old" yard. We did end up buying a different house and moved the placenta with us. DS2 was a december baby and it got stuck in the freezer and now we're talking about completely overhauling our landscaping so I'm waiting to plant them.

That said, I'm not really a sentimental person and I wouldn't necessarily mind getting rid of them so I should probably do that. I've *thought* about doing placenta prints but never actually do it. The worst part is they are in the meat drawer (in ziplocks of course) and we randomly pull them out thinking they're steak.

Seriously... I need to do something haha.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbrownthinks View Post

I have 2 in mine hahaha! 

ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM

DS is 3 now and I still have his.  I meant to plant it with a tree but haven't found the right spot or tree yet.  I encapsulated DS2's and its all gone now.

And I wish I was a placenta hoarder. lol.gif

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM

Mine never made it to the freezer. Had some (in smoothies) in the days after the birth, due to blood loss and then had the rest dried/encapsulated and they were gone within a year.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Mine was there a year, then buried. I never did get around the planting something over it, figured it needed time to break down so the huge amount of nutrients didn't harm a plant, and I was going to wait to find the right flowering bush that liked part shade. We moved away from there though.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 AM

I have 3 in my freezer and a fourth one any day! lol.gif We had been looking for a house to buy for years, and finally bought one last November. Our fruit trees arrive in January and we will be planting each childs' placenta under a fruit tree. The cool thing is, our older two kids, who will be 7 and 5 when we plant the trees, will get to plant their own placenta under their favorite kind of fruit tree! treehugger.gif DC1 has chosen cherry, DC2 has chosen plum, I'll help DC3 pick a tree, and DC4's placenta will go under one of the apricot trees, my favorite stone fruit.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I LOVE that the largest number of votes for for placenta hoarders! Maybe they should start a show. ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My last two were encapsulated, my 2008 and 2010 babies.  But the one before that?  Yeah, getting it out of there is on my to-do list.  bag.gif

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 11-18-2012, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My youngest baby's (1 today!) is still in my freezer, lol! Last summer I buried my girls' placentas (now almost four and 2.5).

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM

Well am I ever relieved to see I'm not the only one holding on to a placenta!!!  DD is 3!  We had plans for it, but it didn't work out (long family drama over family land that is being sold...our plan was to plant the placenta and a tree on that land but with the drama, it just didn't feel right, and we can't think of another suitable and meaningful spot)

We had a little issue this summer when our freezer broke down, just a my MIL and DP's uncle were over for dinner.   MIL being how she is, jumped right in to help take the things from our freezer to the chest freezer downstairs.   One of the containers she is holding is covered with a dark gooey substance.  DP and I realised at the same time that the gooey substance was blood! My blood!  The placenta was simply in a plastic bag and had started to thaw a bit.   DP was a quick thinker, poured a glass of wine for MIL, shoved her to the living room and said thanks mom,  we got this!  He then proceeded to place the placenta in a real container and whisked it downstairs before anyone else (ie the 75 year old uncle)  realised what was going on. 

Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Oh..and by the way, I didn't homebirth.  I actually brought the placenta home from the hospital!!!   I can't remember how, I guess the midwife just put it in a plastic bag for us and we packed it in our overnight bag???!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I cleaned out my freezer recently and found my 18 month old's placenta. yummy.gif   I guess I'll plant a tree with it on her 2nd birthday. How long was yours in there? 

I hear ya. 19 months and hiding in the bottom of the freezer lol

Mummy to DD-8yrs (Jan-04), DS-5yrs (Dec-06) and DS2-19mths (Apr-11). pos.gif #4 EDD July 26 2013

nocirc.giflactivist.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifbfolderchild.gif

Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM

My 2.5 year old's is still in the freezer lol. We didn't own the house we were in when we did our birth with him, so we kept it. We've bought one since then, but didn't think about it until recently when we became pregnant with baby #3 and realized we'll have 2! 

I was just telling my hubby a few months ago that I want to redo our front landscaping/garden beds.... I guess we can fertilize with placenta! wink1.gif   

WAHM with my WAHDH loving (almost) every second of it! 

Jason ~ 7-24-06  Joshua ~ 6-23-10

Little Bean's EDD ~ 6-29-13

Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Placenta hoarder here!  Looking to add #3 to the deep freeze pretty quickredface.gif

Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, don't judge, bag.gif  I'm a placenta hoarder  hide.gif  I currently have 4 placentas in my chest freezer, the oldest being 7yrs old and will be adding #5 the end of January.

BUT, I have *BIG* plans for them.  This year, fingersx.gif we should be adding fruit trees to our little suburban homestead and I'm planning on using the placentas then.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ha, ha, ha!! We have a winner!  placenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gif

Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM

It was in my freezer for about a year (after #4) before I threw it away.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Ha, ha, ha!! We have a winner!  placenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gifplacenta.gif

Do I get a prize?!?! loveeyes.gif

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM

Hubs encapsulated for me, and I used almost all of it. Gave some pills to some friends with post partum depression. But his umbilical cord is still in the freezer... Should probably plant that!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

My DS placenta is still in the freezer, almost 3 years later *blush* I HAD plans to plant it, but haven't...

I'm going to encapsulate this newest babies:)

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM

I have 2.  I think they are actually in the freezer door so I don't forget about them...  Which would have worked too but I forgot what they were.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 AM

Two of mine moved from NC to Maine with me, packed in ice. I kept them 2 more years until I added a third and had them all encapsulated. The longest-kept one was 6 years old.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM

The placenta from my last & 4th child (she is now 20 yrs. & 3 months of age) was in the freezer for almost 6  years. I am a homebirthing Certified Nurse-midwife who is also a long time ago homebirthing Mama of 4 children. So,the children grew up knowing all about birthin' babies, etc.  For the last one, she began asking lots of questions about it when she was almost 6 yrs. old, so I showed her in the freezer the doulbe bag that contained her placenta and asked if she was ready to bury it, yet. She answered, yes, so we took it out, defrosted it & I explained all the parts & functioning to her & we buried it together out on the northeaast side of the house under a grouping of pine trees.

Karen & Desiree in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was looking for walnuts at the very bottom of my freezer and found mine just yesterday. I had completely forgotten.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My 6yo's is in there. #1 we ditched because we were in a rental with roommates and #5 went with my midwife for teaching purposes because it had a knot, and the other 3 were hospital births.

I have no idea what I am going to do with hers so it just stays there. 

Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM

I had two placentas move with us in ice chests in 06. My 2yo and 1yo watched us plant trees over them... put um' in the ground frozen and the trees handled it just fine. Wound up planting one more in that yard (pretty fresh... guess I was on top of my game that year) days after my 3rd was born. But I still have #4's in the freezer and she is 4 mos. Wish I would have been more informed about incapsulating. Loved everyone's stories :-)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM

He turned 7 in October.  ;)  

Heather
Wife + Homeschooling Mama to 4 + Midwife

Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM

So, I was the second commenter on this thread and at the time had 2. Well, they're both still there and I'm due with baby #3 in July so at this rate it's looking like it'll be 3 haha

Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Time limit for converting to pills?

When they have been frozen for 8, 6, and 4 years, are they still good for Encapsulation? I understood that the nutrients in frozen placentas are gone after 1 year. Please respond.

User Tag List