I'm trying to figure out options for our next pregnancy. I have a daughter who I was 90% effaced with at 30 weeks, was placed on bedrest, and had her at 37. I also had hyperemesis with her.
This year I was pregnant with twins, and ended up losing them due to pPROM at 20 weeks. Except for hyperemesis, there were no other complications and the tests showed both boys were fine - no reason for losing them, just something that happened. At the time of my water breaking I was not dilated or effaced and wasn't for another week.
This time around I'd really like to avoid a hospital birth as both times before were very traumatic, but especially when I lost the twins. I had a very public week in the hospital and was treated horribly, and would like to avoid having that kind of birth again at any time, if possible.
My question is - will any midwife see me at this point? Is my only option based on my history to see a doctor or use a hospital because of how high risk I was in both pregnancies?
Thanks so much for any feedback or help on this.
I'm just a HB mama so I certainly don't know. I know there is a fairly standard length of pregnancy that a client must get to in order to be considered for HB - it may be around 36/37 weeks. I also wonder what kind of treatment you got for hypermesis and wonder whether a MW will be able to give you all the care you need for that.
The best thing to do is to as a couple of MWs. If you're not pregnant but would like to develop a relationship with a HB MW now, you could consider setting up a well-woman visit.
Sorry for the loss of your twins and I wish you well for your next birth.
i had a hospital birth with a 35 weeker who ended up needing a few days in the NICU. i had been planning a home birth with my midwife team, and because they had a good transfer policy and a relationship with a hospital, i was able to have some continuation of care and a relatively stress-free experience.
this time, i was able to get in with the midwife practice again and there was no mention of my being high risk simply because of a preterm birth. basically, i would look for a midwife with a fairly strict transfer of care policy in place. if your pregnancy continues normally with no signs of preterm labor, then there's no reason the midwife can't deliver you at home after you reach term. but since you have a history of preterm labor, you really really want there to be a procedure in place before you get to the point where you're having pPROM or going on bedrest. if you can't find a midwife who has an established relationship with an OB or hospital, i'd be hesitant about using them.
anyway, with me, we talked a lot about what would happen if i went into labour before 36 weeks again, she put me on modified bed rest at 34 weeks, just as a precaution, and here i am at 38 weeks and change, cleared for a homebirth and now just waiting for labor to start!
here's hoping you can find someone who is able to take you on and with whom you feel comfortable, and that you get to have a healing and peaceful pregnancy and delivery.