WA People, tell me about DSHS! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like another home birth. Our previous 2 were CNM's and our insurance (Tricare standard) paid for most of it. There are no CNM's in my area (Olympic Peninsula). A friend told me that DSHS would cover a homebirth midwife. Have you used it? (Even better, are you military, homebirthed and used DSHS?) We qualify financially.. which is sad that as a military family we would qualify just based on income.... 

anyway!

Gimme whatcha got! How does it work? Would you use it again if needed? 

Also, What can you tell me about midwife Carol Gautschi or Karla Morgan around the port angeles/port townsend area?

#2 of 4 Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Hi! 

I'm in S. Kitsap Co.  I can't comment toward Carol or Karla as MW.  I've heard good things about Louisa.

I'm not military, i have friends that are, but I don't think they used DSHS.

I used DSHS.  I had a homebirth.  I've actually had 2 HB with MW on DSHS.  Very easy.

I did the application online, I got my paperwork in the mail, cards included, I called and made appointments with my choice of provider.

With my most recent pregnancy I started seeing my provider before I recieved my cards and whatnot.  She was fine with that and knew how to take care of it via dshs.  They also cover you up to 6 weeks after the birth and the baby for a year after.

Your maternity care is NOT just for the midwife or ob.  You can do your eye exams etc... as well with the coverage.  Don't let anyone tell you that hb mw care is not covered, it is.  I'd call the MW you are interested in, see if they have openings and then let them know that you are most likely going to be covered by the state and if that is going to be a problem.

#3 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Hello!  I'm a little late to the thread.  Caral does take dshs I am 23 weeks pregnant just moved to seqim/PA and will have my first appointment with caral on Friday.  Did you find a midwife to work with yet?

#4 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm planning a home birth but I am not military! I've been on WA pregnancy medical since I found out I was pregnant. It was simple to set up, received my card in a timely manner (I didn't even need it to set up my first prenatal though), and am now 38 weeks with Seattle Home Maternity and everything has been great because everything is covered.

Laotian girl, who went from heavy partying to peaceful parenting, to 'Humnoy' (3/13/2011) and 'Lanoi' (2/05/2013)

Mama behind the Breastfeeding Toddler Positions meme and blogging about non-mainstream ideas of parenting at TheLaotianCommotion.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page