Supplies that get used - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking at my midwifes supply list and I am wondering which supplies got used at your homebirth?

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#2 of 24 Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Do you have a copy of the list? 

From what I can remember it was Big towels (not really facecloths), absorbant pads and recieving blankets were the most used. 

We had a water birth so while the bed was prepped we didn't use it... But we could have done with way more towels. I had all the towels she asked for. Everything else was stuff that she brought. 

Now I could be wrong, as I wasn't really paying too much attention ;)

Oh and I didn't buy a fish net for the pool and really really needed that. And a peri bottle would have been nice but didn't have that and my mom couldn't figure out what I was asking for...

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

http://gentlebirthcare.com/Supply_List.html

#4 of 24 Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Are you planning on a water birth or a dry birth... Water birth will eliminate a lot of stuff...

But looking at your list and thinking of what we used (water birth) most of that list is pretty much used or needed in case of used. One thing we didn't have and I didn't use was any of the herbs or homeopathic stuffs...

You don't need depends if you have lots of thick and BIG pads and underwear you don't mind ruining... but truthfully I would totally get the Depends if/when we do it again!

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#5 of 24 Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Water birth is the plan again (I had a hospital birth center water birth with E and would have chosen that tub over my husband in a heartbeat)

I have a bunch of the big pads left over, but with my first two really did not bleed all that much.

#6 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM

I never use all the pads either, but i still loved the depends for the first day or two ..  i also love the mesh underwear though so i may be strange ;)

your list is shorter than mine and it sounds like all very reasonable stuff to have on hand..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#7 of 24 Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I loved the mesh underwear too, which surprised me.

I think it is a useful list (though I am not much for the homeopathic) but just curious.

#8 of 24 Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 AM

I used Depends w/ my homebirth & had a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a single ply diaper down there which I did NOT like. It made me feel undignified but they surely did help. I did save my mesh panties after my last baby, as I use cloth for my menstrual cycle & nothing keeps them in place like mesh panties. For this baby I'll likely go back to the Depends. We've been w/out a washing machine for over a year & laundry is done in the sink so any work I can save I will.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#9 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM

I am surprised they ask you to pack a bag for the hospital?

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#10 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I've heard of freezing pads soaked in witch hazel for cold packs after, might work a little nicer than peas.

I used maybe half the underpads, mw used only a few of the gloves, used some olive oil, cord clamp, hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, arnica oil infusion (brought down swelling in 2nd stage), povidone (sp?) antibacterial wash, I used a few towels, and snacks and juice.

#11 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

I am surprised they ask you to pack a bag for the hospital?

It's better than having to grab stuff for mom/baby in the event of transport.

nearlyelated likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 24 Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM

All I really used was the disposable Chux and Afterease. The rest of it is still in a box in my room.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 24 Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM

I have always really appreciated the Chux for under me and babe the first few days.  I'm also a fan of the mesh underwear and the peri-bottle.  I like the high-quality bulb syringe - not for right after birth but in the months that follow.  The ones that come in the birth kit work... the ones from the drug stores don't. 

Also, bendy straws are wonderful :)

I used mamacloth after my last baby and won't go back to OB pads.  Really I don't use much else, though my midwife has other things (alcohol pads, gauze, etc.) in the birth kit and maybe they get used and I don't realize it :p

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#14 of 24 Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Yes, definitely the chux are great. And the depends, and the peri bottles. I like to have several of those. I wonder whether I will pack a hospital bag. I don't know. I did have a transfer for a cesarean for my most recent birth, so I might have a few items set aside. I had two home births before that.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#15 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 AM

Hi there :)

We definitely used:

Chux pads

Mama pads

Hydrogen peroxide (for getting rid of stains)

straws (for ease of drinking liquids)

bowl (for placental catching)

peri bottles

herbs

emergen-c or recharge. Some kind of vitamin drink. :)

towels and receiving blankets (more if planning a water birth).

Best of luck and many blessings on your birth!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#16 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM

My midwife suggested freezing a few pads in a large bowl so it would be a conducive shape. 

Live in Vancouver, Canada.  Pregnant with first baby.  Work in democratic/free schooling.  Partnered. stillheart.gif

#17 of 24 Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM

Here's the list of the 'delux' kit at my midwifery centre - for what it's worth.  I'm interested in everyone's responses as I'm just setting up.  

In the Deluxe Kit you will find:
15- Blue under pads
2- Plastic backed sheets
12- Maternity maxi Pads or Upgrade to Naturacare organic Maxi’s
1- Peri Bottle
2- Straws:
1- Newborn baby hat
2- Garbage Bags
1- Zip Loc Placenta Bag
1- Digital Thermometer
1-Pair of mesh panties

Plus:
1-Package Perineal Wash herbs with instructions
1-Package of Growing Belly tea
1-Bag Epsom Salts
1-Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
1-Bottle Lavender essential oil
1-Vial Arnica
1-Bag of Calming Mama tea

A few ideas that have come my way for at home water births:  One of those emergency shiny blankets: to lie over the water to keep the water warm in the tub until you are ready to use it.  Placing yoga mats (or something like it) under the tub for a little more padding. 

Live in Vancouver, Canada.  Pregnant with first baby.  Work in democratic/free schooling.  Partnered. stillheart.gif

#18 of 24 Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSarah View Post

My midwife suggested freezing a few pads in a large bowl so it would be a conducive shape. 

When I was pregnant with DS, this was suggested but also to freeze the pads with a mixture of water and Calendula oil, to help with healing.

I was fortunate and didn't find I really needed anything frozen, but if you did I imagine the Calendula would be soothing.

I love the idea of Depends!  Smart! 

What are Chux?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#19 of 24 Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM

I used hardly anything in my kit! Ended up being a waste of money. I assembled my own the next time, and it got more and more simple with each birth...

For my last I had:

various simple foods I like to keep my energy up

drinking water at hand

lots and lots of recently laundered towels and blankets and cloths and diapers sitting nearby, more than you think you'll need

a waterproof pad (mine is about 3'x3' and has a soft cotton side, got it at a medical supply store)

cushion for kneeling on

warm robe

a candle (night-light would have worked too) and lighter

camera ready to go

bowl for placenta, sterile scissors and tie

favorite food for afterwards

heating pad for afterpains (only an issue after the first)

Rather than use chux or depends I preferred just using towels. After the birth I sat on towels and used folded up cloths to catch flow. I just felt more comfortable without having confining clothing on me. I despise those mesh panties! They feel clinical and don't fit right or feel good.

I didn't dress the baby. Just skin to skin, covered with a blanket, and if the baby leaves my body the blanket goes with baby. It is hard to dress a newborn!

#20 of 24 Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 AM

I'm a midwife and following this discussion about birth kits.

I do home birth as well as birth center and don't have my families buy birth kits for just the reasons stated, a waste of money. I order supplies in bulk and take what I need to the birth. I also supply the family with a big box of washable linens and as we clean up after the birth I take all the dirty stuff back to the birth center with me for laundering. The family is left with a few damp towels, at most.

A question about foods after birth. Anyone using chocolate milk immediately after the birth?

Linda,

Midwife

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#21 of 24 Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercat View Post

A question about foods after birth. Anyone using chocolate milk immediately after the birth?

Linda,

Midwife

I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds like an awesome idea!  I know that chocolate milk is one of the best things to have for post-workout recovery and I've never had a harder workout than giving birth!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#22 of 24 Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 PM

Actually post delivery with DD the midwife asked if I liked chocolate milk and if I'd like some. This was in a hospital and I thought it was a rather odd question, even though I drank it like crazy during pregnancy. During my current pregnancy chocolate milk is often my cure for morning sickness: the chocolate picks up my dropping sugar levels and the protein shot combination often helps to reset me (usually helping me to eat more food).
Thanks for mentioning it and helping me to figure out such an "odd" part of my previous birth!

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#23 of 24 Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Which is precisely why I keep it stocked at the birth center and tell moms to get at least one small container for their homebirth. The carbs help to bring up the blood sugar in the short term and the protein helps to keep the blood sugar stable until mom can get other food. I have been doing this for at least 2 years and out of about 100 births only 2 women have gotten the post-birth shakes and a dose or two of Rescue Remedy took care of that. The women just feel so much better.

In other cultures they have traditional immediate post birth food that has a similar protein and carb ratio. I have had women from Mexico use hot chocolate with a sprinkle of cayenne. And a woman from India who used sticky rice balls, mixed with honey, chopped nuts and dried fruit. So, it isn't so much the chocolate milk as it is simple carbs and protein.

Amlikam, I am glad to hear that your midwife is on top of things.

Linda Midwife

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#24 of 24 Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM

Great idea, I'll add this to my arsenal. (chocolate milk)

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page