Using a HSA for homebirth supplies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love my HSA and an wondering if I can use it to pay for my home birth supplies, specifically the birth kit and tub rental (from my midwife). I can not find anything recent on this.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#2 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM

I believe that you cannot purchase any medical supplies without a prescription if you want to use your HSA. You used to be able to buy things like OTC meds, bandages, etc. and that changed, I think, at the beginning of this year.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally just looked it up

You can not get OTC drugs with out a perscription and use a HSA (starting Jan 1 '11)

Publication 502 says (updated Dec 10, '12)

"Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes."

"You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical supplies such as bandages."

"You can include in medical expenses the cost of breast pumps and supplies that assist lactation."

"You can include in medical expenses the amount you pay to purchase a pregnancy test kit to determine if you are pregnant."

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Ooo, thanks for posting that.  I hadn't even considered that yet, we're fairly new to the HSA thing.  Shoot, I could have used it for the pregnancy test, who would have thought...

That's awesome that you can use it for breast pumps and such.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM

You can use a health flex-spending account to pay for home birth supplies as long as your health care provider writes a prescription for whatever you need. Worked fine for us. thumb.gif

Jen

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page