Homebirth Midwife recommendation in Kentucky? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm *almost* ready to just give up and try and birth at The Farm, but I also don't want to drive four hours there to have a baby and drive four hours back, even with staying in their cabins for a week or two. The idea of homebirth for me is to reduce stress, embrace a familiar environment, and have a lack of unnecessary intervention. I have called all over the Lexington area and nobody can tell me anything about homebirths or whether it's even legal in the state. Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Last edited by rnra; 09-17-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I've homebirthed in Louisville. The midwives have to practice illegally but the state doesn't hunt them down like in some states, and of course the parents aren't breaking any by laws hiring them. Candace Robinson is a midwife out there in Lexington, I have her contact info in a folder someplace as she sometimes backed up my midwife, but we did just move, let me know if you need me to find it for you.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM

Definitely contact Candace. She was my midwife last time around and was fantastic. She has lots of great knowledge and experience and is very supportive!

Old 08-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Talking Legal Ketucky Home Birth

The belief that home birth is illegal in Kentucky is a common misconception. Happily, for Certified Nurse-Midwives licensed as advanced practice registered nurses with prescriptive privileges, home birth is a completely legal option. There is at least one certified nurse-midwife in Kentucky offering the standard of care in the home, such as: the ability to intubate the baby within 90 seconds of birth in an emergency, offering IV fluids to prevent maternal exhaustion or treat maternal hemorrhage or possible infection, the ability to administer medications as needed, and assistance from two other neonatal resuscitation providers, just to name a few essential services. This is care equal to that found at an accredited birth center - basically her home birth practice is a mobile birth center. To find her practice, Copper Creek Midwifery & Family Practice, LLC, check out http://ourmomentoftruth.midwife.org/OMOT-FIND-A-MIDWIFE. You can enter your location and check "home" for the type of birth site. Happy midwife searching!

User Tag List