Homebirth with no ultrasounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi friends! I'm new here, and this seems to be the only site that might have people with experience (ie - heads on straight! LOL) 

And...I come with the age-old, embarrassing question that everybody has and only those obsessed actually ask, LOL.

I am 23 weeks with DC3, and assuming things go as planned, we don't want to have any ultrasounds at all. Our DD was born at home (just last may!) and our new baby will be due this coming may. 

However...my mom is a twin. And I think that fact combined with me getting pregnant while EBF makes me crazy to know for sure if there's one or two. 

At 23 weeks, I'm measuring 27. I averaged +3 weeks with DD, so +4 doesnt seem far off...But it IS ahead. 

I guess my main question is this - 

Could you ever palpate your twins? When I feel around on my belly, I can definitely feel baby...but I feel baby EVERYWHERE, and can't get a good visual of where things are. 

Do I really think there's two? No.. BUT, it would be God's way of making a big joke I think for me to have a 2 yr old, a 12 month old, and TWO NEWBORNS, ya know? lol

#2 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I haven't had twins but I could tell baby's butt, head, and feet pretty well by about 28 weeks, but not before then. Head and bottom are pretty hard to tell apart at first but larger round lumps are clearly one or the other, so more than 2 of them and you'd suspect twins. A midwife might find 2 heartbeats, especially with a fetascope to better pinpoint where you're picking up sounds from.

#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM

It was pretty common to confirm twins (though they did miss some) pre ultrasounds.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighPF View Post

It was pretty common to confirm twins (though they did miss some) pre ultrasounds.

No, I think it would be unlikely that you would catch twins before the twenty week ultrasound. Up to 20 weeks, uterine size is pretty much the same with one or two babies in there.

I've heard from other midwives that twins (without ultrasound) get found in the last couple of months. I worked with someone who is a twin herself and her mom found out at 37 weeks.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM

Sorry, to clarify before there where ultrasounds, it was common to diagnose twins before birth.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page