So how do I use a bath tub instead of a birth pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm thinking that the drain may get clogged if theres birth goo in there...so do I need to use a plastic liner? Or just have hubby use the fish net to get any "solids" out before draining? Should I clean the tub with anything special before or after? 

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If it's a regular bathtub, I'd just use a strainer for the bathtub drain, the kind that's meant to keep hair and lint out of the drain.  These are cheap and shouldn't be hard to find.

For past homebirths, we've just given the tub an extra-thorough scrubbing with our usual orange-based cleaner. 

#3 of 4 Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some people have recommended one of those fish tank net scoops. I didn't have one, and things were fine. My wonderful MW just kind of scooped the clots and stuff up with her (gloved) hands.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#4 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We didn't use anything.  I found that most stuff washed down the drain with the shower running (we even have one of those little ones with holes in it...whatever that's called, but basically you can't open it more or anything), and anything big- which there wasn't much of at all- we just scooped up and put it in a sack and tossed it.  But this was all when I birthed the placenta so I was just squatting in the shower...there was literally nothing but clear fluid at the birth.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page