Cleaning before baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do I need to do anything special to my cleaning routine before baby is born? We're planning a homebirth, and was wondering if I really need to sanitize everything and make sure there's not a crumb in site, or is a normal cleaning routine a-ok? Obviously, I hope to have clean sheets on the bed(I think I might prep my bed for birth at 37 weeks and just wash the sheets every Sat. or Sun. until the baby comes..), vacuumed carpets, and an overall clean space, but is that good enough?

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#2 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yes, normal cleaning is good enough!

You might want to do some extra stuff if you can, just because it will likely be left for a long while.  At least that's how it works for me... things like under the kitchen sink, window sills, and vacuuming out the kitchen cabinets or whatever your once-a-year jobs that need doing are :)

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 AM

I think you should also iron all towels and sheets, just to be safe :)

#4 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM

I would just clean like normal, besides doing some extra projects like a previous poster mentioned. In particular, cleaning out the freezer and stocking it full of homemade meals that you can just pop in the oven or microwave when you don't want to cook. And other chores that you (or at least I) don't do very often like washing curtains and blinds, organizing closets, and things that you won't have the time and energy to do for a while after baby is born. 

#5 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM

I like to have my tiny little bathroom really scrubbed...every little detail in sparkling, shiny condition since I labor/birth in there.  But not because I fear germs as much as I fear noticing all those thing left undone DURING labor. ;)  Plus it needs to be done, and like a PP mentioned, it's not something I'll want to do AFTER baby. Oh, and there's likely to be lots of family in/out of my bathroom during/after the labor and I'd prefer they remember it nicely. LOL

I don't believe babies were meant to be born into sterile environments.  Even so, I hardly think of a hospital as sterile...there's a LOT of junk we can all pick up in that place!  I'd much rather a baby be born in my home in it's worst state (which thankfully wouldn't be all that bad since it's a small house and easy to keep clean, and I'm a clean/organization freak anyway LOL) anytime.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page