Homebirth at 35.5 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Would you do it? My mw said she would attend after 36 weeks but I mean...close enough? I don't think I'm actually in labor, I just feel myself getting ready for it. Tons of BH with pressure, vaginal and cervical pain, feel like crap in general, etc. Could be a couple weeks, but I do not want to go to the hospital for a difference of 3 days. :( 

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I personally would not do a homebirth at that time. 36, which is the same as my midwife's policy, is the earliest I'd feel comfortable.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM

I would not, and staying home at 36 weeks requires a good convo about risks and benefits. Less than that and (for me) the risks outweigh the benefits.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Not trying to argue with anyone, I just don't know what happens in the 3 days between 35w4d and 36w or how there can be such a huge difference between 36 and 37 weeks..is it lung maturity?

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM

It's lung maturity, ability to regulate body temp and blood glucose, ability to nurse efficiently, and higher risk of RDS. If you google "late preterm risks" you can find lots of information on the things that are statistically more common from 34-37 weeks. Now, any particular baby might be completely fine and have no adverse effects. However, it's not something you know until birth. The main issue (for me) is potentially a higher level of respiratory support can be needed than can be provided at home (like intubation).

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM

If I went into labor at 35.5, I would probably stay home.

Fwiw, being freaked out about going into labor is not going to help things get moving for you, so you probably will make it another couple of days.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

No I would not, for the reasons stated above, and given my history (long cycles, "late" babies with no signs of postdates), I probably wouldn't before 40 weeks. 

I think state law here is 37 weeks.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'd try to slow things down/stop them with relaxation and focus, a bath, maybe alcohol though I don't drink so only as little as I thought might work. If I thought my dates could be off in a favorable direction I think I would still stay home.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't. 36.5ish weeks is probably the earliest I'd stay home. I make tiny babies and have had a 38-weeker; he was just fine but did have some trouble getting going breathing-wise. I imagine things wouldn't have looked good for him if he came 2.5 weeks earlier.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM

It's state law here that a midwife can't attend a birth before 37 weeks, I'd have an unassisted birth anytime in the 36th week, but not before that.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well symptoms of prelabor have stopped so I may be worrying about nothing. :) Kinda think prodromal labor. I make big babies (10 lb 7 oz and 9 lb 13 oz) that come in my 40th week so that's part of why I'm not too worried.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

I'd try to slow things down/stop them with relaxation and focus, a bath, maybe alcohol...

This is good advice smile.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Micha_Mae in my state the standard of care in no HB before 37 weeks. My midwives are being flexible and using my LMP as I know that with 100% certainty. My DD was born at 36 weeks and I don't know that I would have gone much earlier if we had her at home (she was a planned hospital birth). However my family has a history of small early side babies... but my midwives were clear they would not support a homebirth if it was before 37weeks (they said they would consider fudging 36.5w IF everything else looked great, since DD was 36 weeks and her lungs were fine!)

Really I think your midwives may have an opinion on that.What were your other babies gestasional ages at birth?

I see things have slowed down a bit for you so hopefully it isn't and issue for you. Happy birthing.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

Micha_Mae in my state the standard of care in no HB before 37 weeks. My midwives are being flexible and using my LMP as I know that with 100% certainty. My DD was born at 36 weeks and I don't know that I would have gone much earlier if we had her at home (she was a planned hospital birth). However my family has a history of small early side babies... but my midwives were clear they would not support a homebirth if it was before 37weeks (they said they would consider fudging 36.5w IF everything else looked great, since DD was 36 weeks and her lungs were fine!)

Really I think your midwives may have an opinion on that.What were your other babies gestasional ages at birth?

I see things have slowed down a bit for you so hopefully it isn't and issue for you. Happy birthing.

Things have definitely slowed down, thank you. :) I had an appt today and I'm measuring 40 weeks so probably another nice sized baby. Hoping for another week or two at least.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM

how sure are you of dating? Woozers! Size isn't always a good indicator, my MW saw me the day before I went into labor and estimated baby to be like 5 or 6 lbs and said I would have a large baby of 8 or 9 lbs.... she was 4lbs 9oz.... but had better lung development than most babies her gestational age.

Anyhow- I'll keep intention with you that this baby cooks for a little longer thumb.gif

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlikam View Post

how sure are you of dating? Woozers! Size isn't always a good indicator, my MW saw me the day before I went into labor and estimated baby to be like 5 or 6 lbs and said I would have a large baby of 8 or 9 lbs.... she was 4lbs 9oz.... but had better lung development than most babies her gestational age.

Anyhow- I'll keep intention with you that this baby cooks for a little longer thumb.gif

I'm sure of dates, lol. My first was 10 lb 7 oz and my second was 9 lb 13 oz (with a 2 vessel cord, too). No GD, no sugar issues, no IV...just big babies. I think I'm having prodromal labor..starts and stops, mostly at night.. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Well symptoms of prelabor have stopped so I may be worrying about nothing. :) Kinda think prodromal labor. I make big babies (10 lb 7 oz and 9 lb 13 oz) that come in my 40th week so that's part of why I'm not too worried.

great! I'm glad you can rest easy now.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

User Tag List