Negative Group Strep B after a positive- What worked for me. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass on the regimen that allowed for a negative Strep B test after I originally tested positive 2 weeks ago.  The following is what I took/ ate each day for 10+ days.

1) Odorless garlic - 2 capsules/ 3 x per day

2) Oral probiotics- 1 capsule/ 3 x a day

3) Vaginal probiotic supplement- 1 capsule each night for 10 days

4) Nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract- 4 drops per 8oz bottle of water- used as a perineum cleanser at least 3 times per day

5) Drank a probiotic smoothie drink every morning

6) Chlorhexidene- 1 oz to 5 oz warm water- used to clean perineum and anus 3 times per day- particularly after a bowel movement.

I know it may seem like a lot or overkill but I was willing to try anything to ensure our homebirth did not also include a round of antibiotics!  After finding out yesterday that the test came back negative we all heaved a huge sigh of relief- me, my DH and our MW!

I am going to keep doing everything listed above minus the vaginal probiotic until the big birth day!

Hope this helps y'all!

lady.gifMarried to fuzmalesling.gif with E (3/13)dust.gifat homebirth.jpg and stork-suprise.gif on the way (1/15).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for posting!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 AM

I read somewhere that drinking kefir can prevent and get rid of group B strep. I'll find out in September! I hope it does work as I don't want antibiotics at birth either.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 AM

The treatment of GBS in labor is a constant conversation I have with my fellow midwives.  My question to you is how often were you told to continue this treatment to prevent the GBS from regrowing?  How many weeks along are you and will you be retested again prior to labor?  What is confusing in the research is just this fact...how long until it regrows again?  That's why we don't test you, here in the United States, on your first prenatal visit.  It would make sense to test you then, treat then, and no more worries.  But, that's not the case. 

Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oops! I guess I should have mentioned how far along I am! Sorry!

My first GBS test was at 36 weeks.  Once it came back positive we discussed with our midwives the chance that it would not go away permanently and even a negative second test doesn't mean you are 100% out of the woods.  We decided to start the regimen at week 37 as it lasts 10 days and we wanted the negative result as close to the due date as possible.  I am now 39 weeks and just took the second test. Like I mentioned, I am still taking the majority of the supplements/ cleansers that I was prescribed in order to stay negative.

My midwife feels good going without the antibiotics with close temp monitoring of our Twinkle Sparkle once he or she arrives.

I hope that answers your question about the timing of the tests and when to start trying for a negative result. I have heard the same thing you have about regrowth which is why my MW's did the test in the last few weeks.

Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you! Thanks!!

lady.gifMarried to fuzmalesling.gif with E (3/13)dust.gifat homebirth.jpg and stork-suprise.gif on the way (1/15).
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM

I was positive for it and found out at the hospital while in labor. I just declined the antibiotics for me and for baby. They had us stay an extra night for observation. I was fine with that. Everything went well.

User Tag List