Non-Christians: Would You Use a Very Christian Practice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd describe myself as a  fairly observant Pagan, with some Christian leanings. I definitely keep some Pagan music in my ipod shuffle, have goddess statues, tarot cards, and Pagan books lying around my house. We don't have a whole lot of legal home birth options here. The closest home birth midwifery practice is very, very Christian, with a Christian-inspired name, Biblical verses all over the website, etc... I'm worried about it being super uncomfortable. Anyone been in this situation? Did it turn out well?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I know that this not the question that you are asking but...I was the reverse. With my first I'm christian and used a pagan doula.

It turned out well. I had a natural birth and we respected each. I know that it different with a midwife...but I would do what is best and the midwife that you feel is right for you. Do you feel this the right person for you outside of the midwife being christian?

I hope that helps a little

#3 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM

I'm a Vodouisant, which means I kinda move between the Catholic and pagan communities. :)

One of my top two doula choices was an evangelical Protestant Christian. The only reason we didn't pick her was that she had just moved to my state recently, so she didn't have many local references to check. (The doula we ultimately chose was Jewish, but I don't recall us discussing religion AT ALL during the labor... and she had no problem with, frex, my hanging up saints' icons in the L&D room.)

I would ask your prospective midwife about experiences she's had caring for patients of different faith backgrounds. If she can't answer that question - if she's NEVER had a patient who wasn't a devout Christian - that might be a sign you should keep looking. But you might be pleasantly surprised!

#4 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 03:47 PM

I am a Christian midwife and I LOVE working with families from all different faith backgrounds. While it is always nice to work with Christian families, my most favorite women/births I have ever been to have been with Muslim families. Amazing women. 

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#5 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM

I am a wiccan and would never go to a christian or catholic birth center or use a very conservative christian midwife.

#6 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM

I had my first born in a Catholic hospital, my 2nd with atheists at a birth center, and my 3rd will be at home with a Mormon midwife. Really as long as they don't push religious beliefs on -me-, idc what religion they are or if they are open about it.
zapzipzee likes this.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#7 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It never dawned on me to even ask the religion of any of the midwives I hired. I wanted to know about their education/training/experience and also just see how they treated me as a person. I understand that in your case the information is right out there on the website, but why not just meet up and see how the relationship flows? I have worked with some pretty strongly Christian midwives before, but they use their faith as a way to remind them of how to treat others and they actually do no preaching to families. Of course, I know it can go the other way too!

As a midwife, I have been passed over before for not being of the same religious beliefs, so I know it happens, but always just feels a little weird to me. Especially because I am not the sort of person to try to convert anyone to anything and am pretty good at being respectful of beliefs (I am a UUer, it is what we do). 

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#8 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM

I think what matters more is whether the MW is respectful of others' beliefs. My MW is strongly Christian, and I am strongly not. She is incredibly respectful of my beliefs and language about being open to the Universe, etc.

The verbiage on the website would not appeal to me, as I think of it as "too pushy". That's just how I perceive it.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#9 of 11 Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Yes as long as they didn't try to push their views onnme. Id also stay mum about mine.
#10 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 AM

For me, it would come down to how they are as a person. Do you feel their beliefs come through int heir practice and patient care?  If you click with her, i think that could be a great relationship!

Two semi-crunchy mommas in Indy taking every day as it comes!  Baby #1 born 1/14/12 at home!

winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gif

#11 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would talk to her and see how we click.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page