Homebirths near Baltimore, Maryland - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just recently found out I am 7 weeks pregnant and I am interested in going the homebirthing route.  I am having a hard time finding a comprehensive resource of CNM's who are licensed in Maryland.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  The only woman I know of, Evelyn, had her license suspended and when she attended my friends birth she got a call for another birth and left her there with her assistant and was not present when my friend delivered.  This scares me so I am looking for others who may have less mom's on their rosters.  Any input would be much appreciated.

#2 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

There must be some homebirth assistance near Baltimore,Maryland? right?

anyone have any info for this mama???

#3 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Let me check for you.  I'm in the northern Shenandoah Valley, so I'm close enough that my midwife might know who's in your area.

#4 of 10 Old 03-08-2013, 02:25 PM

My MW says Karen Webster is north of Baltimore.  Says she's very experienced and that's who she (my MW) did her skills test with.

http://womanwise.info/contact/

The info on her site suggests she's in VA, not MD, but she helps in midwifery training in this general area, so even if that's the case, she can probably point you to someone.

#5 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I'm in the Baltimore Area, mama. We have a group of dedicated HB supporters working to improve access to homebirth midwifery care here in MD. 

Here is a link to that political action group: http://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 10 Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM

brightlove- As far as I know there are no practicing homebirth CNMs in MD.  I do believe there are some CPMs who practice in the DC area and also some who practice in WV or PA and travel into parts of MD.  Unfortunately the homebirth climate in MD is a hostile one towards midwives so information is often hard to come by.  I live outside of Baltimore and didn't feel comfortable with traveling long distances to see a CPM and have decided to have a hospital birth with a CNM.  Not my first choice but the one I felt most comfortable with at this time with all the limited options here. 

#7 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegrunr View Post

brightlove- As far as I know there are no practicing homebirth CNMs in MD.  I do believe there are some CPMs who practice in the DC area and also some who practice in WV or PA and travel into parts of MD.  Unfortunately the homebirth climate in MD is a hostile one towards midwives so information is often hard to come by.  I live outside of Baltimore and didn't feel comfortable with traveling long distances to see a CPM and have decided to have a hospital birth with a CNM.  Not my first choice but the one I felt most comfortable with at this time with all the limited options here. 

I'm in DC, and don't follow the Maryland politics on the issue much, but I do know there are at least a couple of CNMs in MD: the OP should look up MAMAS Midwives in Takoma Park/Silver Spring (Erin Fulham and Mairi Breen Rothman - they have a website) or Susan Dodge, who is a solo practitioner.  Susan lives in the Annapolis area, and was a backup for the MAMAs midwives but attended my homebirth 18 months ago...

#8 of 10 Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM

You might want to consider going to Special Beginnings if you aren't able to connect with a homebirth midwife. I had my third baby there when we lived in Maryland.

http://www.specialbeginnings.com/

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 10 Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 PM

I live in Baltimore now, but I was in Virginia for 5 years where I gave birth to my daughter with a home birth CNM. I am currently researching midwifery school and to my disappointment I read that it is illegal for CNMs to attend home births in the state of Maryland. If I am wrong please correct me, but I did a lot of research. I am also a doula and if you are looking for any support please PM me smile.gif
#10 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

EBM, MD has not recognized the CPM for some time (the may never have?) but there were CPMs working here and with CNMs HB was accessible up until about 2 years ago when two prominent midwives stopped practicing. At this point, it is very hard to find a MW in MD. See my link above for information about one way to get involved. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page