Thoughts on "planned home births are associated with double to triple the risk of infant death than are planned hospital births." - Page 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#391 of 394 Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New study is out.

Authors find that homebirth and freestanding birth center babies are significantly more likely than babies born in the hospital to have an APGAR of 0 at 5 minutes, serious neurologic dysfunction and neonatal seizures:

"When it comes to home birth versus hospital birth, setting is strongly associated with worse outcomes. The increased rate of adverse outcomes of home births exists despite the reported lower risk profile of home birth. The pattern for free-standing birth centers is also identifiable: this setting is associated with increased risk compared to hospital delivery, though not as high risk as home birth. When it comes to freestanding birth center versus hospital, setting is strongly associated with worse outcomes."

Further the study states:  "The increased risk of 5-minute Apgar score of zero and seizures or serious neurologic dysfunction of out-of-hospital births should be disclosed by obstetric practitioners to women who express an interest in out-of-hospital birth."

Study can be found here:  http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(13)00641-8/abstract

mothercat and Queen of Thorns like this.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

#392 of 394 Old 07-05-2013, 05:35 AM

The use of midwives or medical personnel makes it safer in the event your baby needs some help at delivery. Having an experienced person there will also make it run a bit smoother because they know what is needed and how to help comfort you during contractions and throughout the process. This being said, one of the cons of home births would be if there were problems that were unforeseen. A newborn that is in distress needs immediate attention, and a wait for the emergency medical service could make a big difference in the outcome of your baby and his or her health. Just a thought.

#393 of 394 Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM

I am having a hard time with this one, as the info is pretty hard to comb through, can you be a dear and point to the link about birthplaces? I found the code, but not where it stated the infant mortality. Thanks in advance! 

#394 of 394 Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidhair View Post

I am having a hard time with this one, as the info is pretty hard to comb through, can you be a dear and point to the link about birthplaces? I found the code, but not where it stated the infant mortality. Thanks in advance! 

I'm afraid you will need to be a bit more specific. There are a number of studies that have been discussed in detail on this thread.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete

Tags
Popular On Mothering In 2013 , Homebirth , Homebirth Safety , Natural Birth And Homebirth , The Essential Homebirth Guide For Families Planning Or Considering Birthing At Home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page