Waterbirth? Your tub? Rented tub? Fishy Pool? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#31 of 45 Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I *think* we drained it into the bathtub.  I really don't know though because I was in baby-mode.  I know my husband was somewhat involved in the process but it was really the midwives (or one of them) that took care of cleanup.  I didn't do any clean up at all in any regard.  In fact, my baby was born on her older sister's birthday and they had the place cleaned up so well that we invited everyone upstairs for cake and presents during the party!  

#32 of 45 Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Hi all,
Also curious about clean up. I can't imagine that draining it out the window or into the yard is sanitary (at least not for me after my last birth)! Also, if it's cold out & would freeze, yuck! Can't one drain it into a bathtub or sink?
Our dog poops in the yard so I wasn't worried about keeping the yard sanitary. We didn't have a bathroom on the floor that the pool was on and so, particles were netted out and flushed, water pumped out the window thru a hose and into the back yard it went. DH drained the pool into our garden after my daughters birth last year. To me, no big deal. But if it bothers someone, I imagine the best thing would be to strain and flush solids, then drain into tub or sink. Then throw away the pool liner, wipe down the inside per the manufacturer's instructions, dry and deflate.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#33 of 45 Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelia View Post

Our dog poops in the yard so I wasn't worried about keeping the yard sanitary. We didn't have a bathroom on the floor that the pool was on and so, particles were netted out and flushed, water pumped out the window thru a hose and into the back yard it went. DH drained the pool into our garden after my daughters birth last year. To me, no big deal. But if it bothers someone, I imagine the best thing would be to strain and flush solids, then drain into tub or sink. Then throw away the pool liner, wipe down the inside per the manufacturer's instructions, dry and deflate.

My main worry about draining is actually the dogs. It seems a little iffy pumping human blood, which they'll undoubtedly be very interested in, into an area where they have access (which, for us, is everywhere outside). Not that I'm super concerned that they'll suddenly develop a taste for human flesh because of about half a liter of blood diluted in 200 gallons of water, but it just feels wrong.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#34 of 45 Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM

Our pool was drained via pump into the back yard (from our ground floor apartment). I didn't have anything to do I with it, my sister and doula took care of it. No dogs had access to the area, but several cats, plus the neighborhood fox (!!!) never seemed interested in the area.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#35 of 45 Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I used the blow-up fishy pool with an inflatable bottom. I think it was $25. It was great! I'm not sure if I'll buy another one this time since I'm cautiously optimistic that this one will go even faster than my 2.5 hour labor, and that I will suffice with our garden tub and/or dual-head shower. It's still early though, so I may change my mind.

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#36 of 45 Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

Hi all,
Also curious about clean up. I can't imagine that draining it out the window or into the yard is sanitary (at least not for me after my last birth)! Also, if it's cold out & would freeze, yuck! Can't one drain it into a bathtub or sink?

DH drained it out the bedroom window into the back yard. You could drain it into the tub alternatively!

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#37 of 45 Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
the bathtub, $7 blow up pool from Walmart, $20 dollar blow up pool from Walmart

Bathtub-

pros... it was nice for warm water, easy clean up (just strain out stuff that shouldn't go down drain), could shower and bath baby immediately, toilet is close (although didn't use it), built in seat for support person..lol, free

cons- had to keep adding more towels to make it comfy, wasn't deep enough, had to drain water to add more, never felt clean enough (germophobe), if only bathroom you will have frequent visitors (I didn't have to deal with that)

-------------------------------------------------------------
14 inch deep $7 blow up kiddy pool from Walmart

pros- easy to pre-clean, big enough for legs to stretch out (but I am short..but I had more than enough room), small enough to fit in small house with little space, quick and easy to blow up, easy to store blown up while waiting, light weight (easy to move) when not full of water, comfortable for bottom and knees (if on carpet), relatively quick to fill (depending on method), comfortable sides, easy to get in and out of, very inexpensive and can be reused for kids once cleaned

cons- hard to keep water warm, not deep enough, annoying to drain if you can't get siphon to work and don't have pump, hard to fill if don't have faucet adaptor... which ours refused to work... but that wasn't the pools fault =S, not a lot of support in the sides to push on.... but I didn't need that while laboring that time
-------------------------------------------------------
huge 22 inch deep x 11feet $20 Walmart pool

pros- definitely more than enough room.... so I could move away to cleaner water areas (and did several times), reasonably supportive side (not to push on but relax on), comfortable (if on carpet), to some it might be deep enough, can be reused after cleaned, easy to get in and out of, relatively inexpensive

cons- took forever to fill, impossible to keep water warm, terribly hard to drain (if you don't have previously listed aides), too big for most locations, hard to store blown up waiting for the big day, if you want to push on the sides they could collapse, not quite deep enough

I am not positive which of the three I suggest... none were perfect. If I had to choose one of those, it would probably be the 7 dollar pool.

In my bc birth, I used a corner Jacuzzi. I figured I would enjoy it, but actually didn't labor in it as they didn't have it ready because he was born 5 minutes after arrival. But pushed in the corner (up on the edge of Jacuzzi and wall) I real enjoyed that... but may have been because of easy birth and not the place..lol. I did get in the tub after I birthed, but only stayed a few minutes as they filled it too full. I didn't like the floating feeling and I felt like I was going to drown me or my baby... plus I was worn out and wanted to get in bed. I am not saying I would never do a Jacuzzi. I would if I had one available... but I would dread cleaning it. I am actually looking into a portable blow up Jacuzzi for about $500....since we want a Jacuzzi anyway.

I am looking at all of my options this time. Previously I was too cheap to get anything substantial.... but in retrospect I should have since I have had 3 homebirths and planning my 4th. I have always planned for each kid to be my last..lol.

As for draining the pools, they bucketed and tried to siphon as much out as they could (both out side and down drain.... but it was taking too long, so once it was light enough they carried it outside and dumped it. Nothing like a pool full of bloody water being carried outside into our busy subdivision...I am sure the neighbors were wondering what was up!
#38 of 45 Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post
Hi all,<br>
Also curious about clean up. I can't imagine that draining it out the window or into the yard is sanitary (at least not for me after my last birth)! Also, if it's cold out &amp; would freeze, yuck! Can't one drain it into a bathtub or sink?
You can drain it right into the toilet, the toilet will auto-flush as the water level gets higher, so it will just keep going down.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#39 of 45 Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM

I think I have finally decided to just spend the extra cash and buy a portable spa.....it is about 400 dollars.....but I really like the idea of continuous heat and the jets.....as well as being able to use it after wards. I measured and it will JUST fit in my living room. I just have to find out cord info and drain info.....and I also wonder if the ick would cause issues. Anyone have a clue? I know Jacuzzis are often used for birth....but don't really know if it truly affects them.
#40 of 45 Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
I think I have finally decided to just spend the extra cash and buy a portable spa.....it is about 400 dollars.....but I really like the idea of continuous heat and the jets.....as well as being able to use it after wards. I measured and it will JUST fit in my living room. I just have to find out cord info and drain info.....and I also wonder if the ick would cause issues. Anyone have a clue? I know Jacuzzis are often used for birth....but don't really know if it truly affects them.
I labored in a hot tub this time around. Didn't do the actual birth there for various reasons, and would prefer something else if I were to have another birth. But part of that is because our hot tub is unusually shallow, I think. I googled portable spas, and they look better suited.

My plan was to just turn the pump off when gunk started to be an issue.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#41 of 45 Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the tip...that sounds like a GREAT idea! I could have someone shut the pump off and skim/strain the tub and restart it if needed. Although I don't really want to have to think about all of that while birthing...but I just don't want to put out the money for a spa that I would plan to use afterwards....just to have it messed up after the first use! .

Although in reality, I don't know how I will like birthing in it. My second was supposed to be a hot tub birth at a birthing center, but even though they knew I was coming, they forgot to fill the tub. They actually starting taking me to the bed, and I was like, "No, I told you guys, I want a hot tub birth." They of course said that they didn't have it filled. They helped me into the tub and started filling it. By that point my body was pushing the baby out by itself...they kept telling me to stop pushing, but I just ignored them because my body was in control and it felt better than before! So they insisted that I get up on the edge of the tub to keep from baby being born half in the water and half out. Once they had the tub full, they kept telling me I could get in the tub now, but dude, I was too focused on getting that kid out to care if I was in the water or not! So he was born on the edge in the corner of a triangle hot tub. After he was born they somewhat insisted that I get down into the water and hold the baby...but by that point I was exhausted and because the water was so high, I felt like I couldn't hold my baby without drowning him...so I kept handing him back. They of course were huge on bonding and insisted that I hold him to bond. So once they realized my concern, they helped me out of the tub and did the after birth. So I technically neither labored in or birth in the hot tub =S
But I do know with my homebirths, I hated the water being cold, so I figured this would be a good aide...plus it can be reused later.
Thanks again for your input!
#42 of 45 Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My midwife had a pump and they drained the it into our sink, but the tub was in our kitchen due to a tiny apartment so it was easiest to drain it in there. DD was born in march, so it was still rather cold outside which means it prob would have froze if drained outside... The water wasn't icky at all though. I think most births are sort of "clean"... I honestly dont think there was any issues with just putting it all down the drain.

Also, for reference, we rented the BPIAB from our midwife, she charged $100 and it was totally worth it! I wasn't in it very long (about 8 minutes from the time I got in to DD being born), but the midwives cleaned it up, packed it up and took it with them. That alone was nice, then DH didn't have to worry about the mess.

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ Lucianna Quinn born at home in the water ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

Mom to 3 Boys; Nick (22), Gavin (14), and Peyton (10) And the little girl who's a crazy Toddler! Madly in LOVE with my soul mate Jason 

Last edited by babytoes; 06-28-2014 at 06:03 AM.
#43 of 45 Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM

It is nice that you had a clean birth. I wonder if the water was clean because of only being in it for a short time? I may be wrong, but I would say it is pretty common to have a messy birth. I know my 5 births were all pretty messy. There were pieces of sac, tons of blood and even some poo specs (probably some pee as well..lol)....I guess it just depends on if someone feels comfortable putting that down the kitchen sink or not. I guess as long as they have a garbage disposal, it wouldn't be much of a deal.....just clean the sink afterwards. =S
#44 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We usually use a pump and drain it down the toilet or out into the yard.
applejuice likes this.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#45 of 45 Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

My midwife had a stock tank, which was really deep and had rigid sides. It worked GREAT! We filled and emptied it with a bucket at the kitchen sink. Birthed in kitchen, since our whole apartmenthas carpet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page