Waterbirth? Your tub? Rented tub? Fishy Pool? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 45 Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are planning/had a waterbirth, what kind of tub did you use? Did you investigate other options?
#2 of 45 Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My midwife owns three of those black Rubbermaid livestock watering troughs. She loans them out, I love them because the sides are rigid and they are deep.

wendy- blessed mama of 8 (baby girl: Zia  4/7/2013

#3 of 45 Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM

I had my second in an amazing built in birth tub and am planning on a home waterbirth for this third one.

I am looking at the LaBassine and the Mini Pool in the Box.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 45 Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM

We rented an AquaDoula from our asst. midwife. But, I never made it downstairs and had a waterbirth in our bathtub. Things went too fast. I'll rent it again this time and hope I get to use it a little bit!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 45 Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I used a Birth Pool in a Box and it was awesome. Large, comfortable, and the bottom was really well cushioned for my knees. In previous labors I had used a regular bathtub (way too small), a fishy pool (ok, but more shallow than BPIAB), and a hospital tub (still not quite big enough, I was stuck on my back only). I love, love, love BPIAB or pools of similar size :)

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#6 of 45 Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I birthed in a whirlpool tub with dc#2 and the fishy pool with dc#3.  They were both fine.  The thing I liked about the tub was the jets.  Something about the humming noise of that was soothing to me.  With the fishy pool, the soft, cushioned bottom was heavenly. I felt like I was floating on a cloud.  It looked small when I got it and I thought it would be too small but it was just right. And I'm actually glad it was small because I tend to push on my hands and knees involuntarily and with my dc#3, I pushed in 14 seconds so it was super fast and I couldn't process things fast enough to reach down to catch her. So thankfully, the tub was small enough that my midwife could reach the baby from the other side of the tub. Otherwise, she would have had to hop in!  

#7 of 45 Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM

My 3rd child was born in a BPIAB that I borrowed from my MW.  I liked it but it was BIG and although I'm tall, I had a hard time getting in and out of it and I didn't know that the height could be adjusted until afterward :-/.  My daughter was born in an inflatable birth pool too...the La Bassine maybe??  It was purple, that's all I remember.

#8 of 45 Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM

I didn't really investigate, but just thought "FREE!" because we could not afford a birth pool and the necessary supplies. We made a final decision for me to labor in our apartment bath tub. :)

Here's a post I wrote about justifying our reason to forgo a birth pool: Why I'm Planning a Home Birth Without a Birth Pool

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find whatever feels right for you and your birthing needs.

Laotian girl, who went from heavy partying to peaceful parenting, to 'Humnoy' (3/13/2011) and 'Lanoi' (2/05/2013)

Mama behind the Breastfeeding Toddler Positions meme and blogging about non-mainstream ideas of parenting at TheLaotianCommotion.com

#9 of 45 Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM

I've waterbirthed three times, always in our bathtub.  We've been in three different houses, and some of them definitely are more comfy than others, but they've all worked.

#10 of 45 Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM

My first I used an aqua doula, it was ok. My second I used a big black Rubbermaid horse trough and loved it. I preferred the oval shape to the round shape of the aqua doula, I could grasp both sides. I also preferred the rigidity of the sides, you can't really hold on to the sides of the aqua doula to haul yourself in and out. I put towels down under the liner, so it was plenty comfy.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#11 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 AM

I've labored in the fishy pool and birthed twice in the BPIAB. I *love* the BPIAB and am hoping mine holds up for one more birth this summer! (I've loaned it to friends and it's now had 7 babies born in it!) It's got enough room to move and enough depth to be comfy, plus the built-in seat is great for putting my hands on on all-fours, and handles are good to have available. New ones have cupholders!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#12 of 45 Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM

I just bought this, too, for my next birth.  Obviously I don't know yet how much we'll like it, but I thought I'd put it out here for anyone else who might be interested. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Bath-Deep-Water/dp/B0001YJIGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363199964&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+water+bath

#13 of 45 Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM

I labored in a regular, hard jacuzzi tub, hated it, too hard and difficult to get comfortable. Next time I rented an AquaDoula. Also hated it, too big, too deep for me, I hated the rigid sides, and struggled to get comfortable. Next two babies were born in a fishy pool. Loved it! Soft, cushy bottom, supportive sides.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 45 Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM

My MW has a birth pool that we rented.  I have no idea what it is, but it was very comfy and I loved it.  I am planning to use it again for this birth.

#15 of 45 Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaotianMama View Post

I didn't really investigate, but just thought "FREE!" because we could not afford a birth pool and the necessary supplies. We made a final decision for me to labor in our apartment bath tub. smile.gif

Here's a post I wrote about justifying our reason to forgo a birth pool: Why I'm Planning a Home Birth Without a Birth Pool

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find whatever feels right for you and your birthing needs.

Lol that's my thoughts too. I haven't given birth yet and am still trying to find a Midwife with a sliding scale. If I can find one I am def. doing a homebirth in my bathtub
#16 of 45 Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM

How do you fill/Drain these tubs? Do you need to buy special attachments for your sink to fill it and a pump and hose to drain it?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#17 of 45 Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

How do you fill/Drain these tubs? Do you need to buy special attachments for your sink to fill it and a pump and hose to drain it?

I had read that you can put the hose in the tub and throw the other end out the window and it sort of syphons it out.  I planned to do that with my last homebirth, but couldn't figure out how to get the screen off of the window, lol!  So I called a local friend/doula and borrowed her pump. It worked great!  

#18 of 45 Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Hmm.... I think our downstairs neighbors might protest that tactic! I'm glad it worked for you smile.gif

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#19 of 45 Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM

With my first two they where c-sections. My third was a fishy pool and my 4th will be a Oasis Birth Pool. I dont have the money for those expensive ones plus the oasis is round, soft and cushy, free of any chemicals and only $65.00

#20 of 45 Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM

My MW has a pump that drains the water.  With my last birth, we just put the end of the hose out the door (we had a balcony adjacent to the bedroom, and a door to the balcony).  This time, I am not sure where we will drain it.  

#21 of 45 Old 04-05-2013, 04:08 AM

I have been thinking about what tub to use too.  I know my midwife has a few that she rents out, but I don't know what brand and won't until I see her late May.  I also don't know how much she charges to rent them.  The only thing I definitely know is I want a tub of some sort!

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#22 of 45 Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM

I am looking to buy a used inflatable birth tub but haven't been able to find one on craigslist. I am due May 27th with our first baby and would love to have this as an option but just didn't want to pay full price for one. If you know of someone who'd like to sell theirs, I'm located in Austin, TX and you can reach me at clifton.martina@gmail.com. Thanks!

#23 of 45 Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM

I bought a used one from a woman who birthed two babies in it. We were lucky enough to find it on Craigslist!
#24 of 45 Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 PM

My first was born in the hospital and they didn't have tubs, just showers. This one is a planned homebirth and we rented an Aquaborn from a local doula. We did a test fill the other day and I spent half the day in it just relaxing. It was awesome. I cursed gravity after I got out. lol

reading.gif <--Me, IronMammaries  mischievous.gif <--Med-student DPenergy.gif<--DD (12/08) &  baby.gif <--DS 4/13

1**pos.gif5***heartbeat.gif10****15**B*20***25***30***35**** stork-boy.gif

.....BFP.........HB Heard.........BOY!......................................... 

#25 of 45 Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 PM

In my practice, families have utilized a variety of tubs and pools.  I offer LaBassine and the Aquarium" pool.  The "aquarium" pool was the first and it remains the only inflatable I have offered due to over 20 years of waterbirths it's served absolutely great.   To this day, despite all the birth pools and tubs to select from, I still like it as well (most importantly-mothers do also) as anything and a sight better than some choices of bathtubs, Aquadoula, giant jetted tubs, etc. that I have experience with.  - haven

Sandra Hess

Heartland Midwifery

Fresno, Ohio

#26 of 45 Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM

I used a LaBassine provided by my midwives.  It was big, cushy and I liked it (used it only for pushing in as I had such a fast labor). My only thought was that it was maybe a bit too large, as I felt a little too floaty in it at times.  

ETA: DH drained it through a window into our backyard.  He used some sort of pump attached to a cordless drill? IDK for sure, I was pretty distracted by my amazing new son. ;)

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#27 of 45 Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Aradia88, What did you like better - the fishy pool or the oasis?  I bought the fishy pool as a backup, but am wondering if I should get a traditional birthing tub.  Thanks :)

#28 of 45 Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM

My first was born in a BPIAB. I loved it. Labored in it for hours.

Would have used it the second time, but she was in a hurry. I spent some of what felt to me like early labor in our regular bathtub and ended up really injuring my sacrum and coccyx, because baby's head was much lower than I realized it was and the squeeze between her head and the hard bathtub left me with pretty bad bruising.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#29 of 45 Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM

Sorry if this is off topic, but what is clean up like with different tubs? I've been considering using a pool, but the idea of skimming it and pumping out all the birth-y water afterwards is really unappealing. DH is super squeamish when it comes to blood, so I wouldn't want him to be in charge, and I don't want my midwife to have to deal with it either. Or is clean up easier than I imagine?

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#30 of 45 Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi all,
Also curious about clean up. I can't imagine that draining it out the window or into the yard is sanitary (at least not for me after my last birth)! Also, if it's cold out & would freeze, yuck! Can't one drain it into a bathtub or sink?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page