BPIAB or Fishy pool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that fishy pools are MUCH cheeper than BPIAB. Can moms give me feedback on personal experiences? Why you chose what you chose, etc? Especially valuable would be feedback from moms who used both and can offer pros and cons of each.

Things that may alter your advice:

I am short (5'3" on a tall day), but plus sized (size 20-22)

This baby is the first of (hopefully) many, so a good investment would eventually pay for itself

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I used a fishy pool with baby #2, but a BPIAB with #4. The BPIAB is far superior. The bottom was more cushioned. It was deeper. I was able to kneel and still have my belly covered. It was lovely. I am also short (just under 5'2") and while getting out of the BPIAB felt like a huge hike, it wasn't actually that big of a deal. When I used the fishy pool, I was (obviously) the same height that I am now, but I was about a size 20 and.... I don't know.... it felt hard to get into a position that was comfortable and kept my belly under the water. I ended up spending most of my time on my back. With baby #4 I was more around a size 6-8, but the pool felt so roomy that I am sure I could have been the same size I was with #2 and still been able to have a variety of positions and kept my belly under the water.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

P.S. Consider the option that if you buy a good quality birth pool and use a liner each time, you could likely sell the pool to a midwife/doula/other mom when you are done with it.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM

Having used both, the BPIAB was far superior. I would repeat much of what Erika said. The deepness made a huge difference to me. I am 5"4, though I am not plus sized. The BPIAP felt really roomy to me, even with my dh in it with me. And I could stretch out in it. I couldn't stretch my legs fully when Laboring in the fishy pool, and it was Annoying.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the BPIAB. My first HB was before inflatable birth pools were readily available, so I used the fishy pool (which I think is no longer available?). The BPIAB is vastly superior and has now been used 6-7 times by friends and myself, each with a fresh liner for sanitation. I'll use it again this summer. Great investment!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page