Homebirth mamas - does anyone watch a series called "Call the Midwife" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By krst234
  • 1 Post By velveeta
  • 1 Post By blendedclan

#1 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

I'm watching this English series called "Call the Midwife" and am really enjoying it. It's not a HB show because it doesn't really deal with the choice to give birth at home specifically but takes place during a time (1950's) and a place (impoverished part of the UK) where homebirth with a midwife was the norm. There's also a lot of interaction with the doctor and the relationship between the current midwifery care and the medical advancements of the time. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've seen it...

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've seen the series twice and I love it! As a midwife, I wish I could experience what those midwives experienced, riding my bike around town to appointments and births, living together, having the community of midwives there (we do have a midwife community here in Oregon, but we don't all live in a convent).

I also really loved the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Midwife-Memoir-Birth-Times/dp/0143123254/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363036312&sr=1-1&keywords=call+the+midwife

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM

I absolutely love it! They show the good, the bad, and the ugly, and it is all so beautiful.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#4 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM

I've watched the first few episodes, and I am enjoying it. So's my partner.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM

I've been wanting to see this series! But we don't have television, and last I looked I couldn't view the episodes online. :/

Loving wife and mother to three little chickadees and one sweet surprise on the way! chicken3.gif

#6 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM

My mom gave me the series (not sure how many episodes, actually) on DVD for Christmas. I actually kind of forgot about it till seeing this post! I'm glad to see so many of you like it. 

#7 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

I've been wanting to see this series! But we don't have television, and last I looked I couldn't view the episodes online. :/

We don't have television programing either (not that we don't still manage to watch too much tv eyesroll.gif but you can find them on Netflicks and it looks like you can watch some on PBS online: http://video.pbs.org/program/call-midwife/

#8 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM

I love this show!  I can't wait for the new season to begin at the end of the month.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#9 of 28 Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

We don't have television programing either (not that we don't still manage to watch too much tv eyesroll.gif
 but you can find them on Netflicks and it looks like you can watch some on PBS online: http://video.pbs.org/program/call-midwife/
Thank you!!

Loving wife and mother to three little chickadees and one sweet surprise on the way! chicken3.gif

#10 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 06:58 AM

I loved the book and am loving the show. PBS puts them on their site for a few weeks after broadcast.

My dad was born in a village, rather than London, but this was very much his birth in the 50s.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#11 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 AM

I enjoy the show...kinda. I love all the beautiful babies and the moms are lovely and amazing. The births all looks real and powerful. The characters are fun to follow, too. But, in all honesty, I would never want these midwifes at my birth. They are very clinical/medical, by-the-book, and lack a holistic touch I believe is needed in a home setting. I understand that has everything to do with the culture they were serving and the training the midwives received (all medical). Although I do see a real care and devotion the midwifes have for their profession, and I applaud that, but the lack of real holistic midwife care not shown at the births, upsets me. Case in point: Season 2, episode 1. When two midwives showed up at a birth and the mom was very distressed (screaming and carrying on), the midwives acted put-off and by and large did nothing to help her manage the pain, other than offering her a shot. Finally, they called the on-call Dr and he showed up with the laughing gas. The mom was in a barely conscious state, oblivious to everything while tenderly clinging to her gas mask. The midwives told her that they will take over and coached the mom to push. For a second there I thought mom had fallen asleep, but she groggily pushed and baby was born healthy. Mom swore she would tell everyone how wonderful the gas was. Word spread and the Dr. was running from birth to birth with the gas to end the pain and suffering for as many moms he could help. The moms' receiving the gas all looked pleased and relaxed; as did the midwives attending the birth. Eventually, this became too much for the good Doc and the gas was pulled. The midwifes were outraged. "It's the 50's and women deserve the latest pain relief offered!" was the midwife outcry. The only midwife (the head nun/midwife) opposed to the gas was really just opposed to pain relief (probably her religious belief that women must suffer in childbirth). What are your thoughts?

#12 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's important to remember that the push to "medicalize" birth did not entirely come from medical professionals. Women themselves advocated for more options during their pregnancies and births - and this included pain relief.

From _Lying In: A History of Childbirth in America_

http://books.google.com/books?id=98L6upQfgPEC&q=feminist#v=snippet&q=feminist&f=false

There are descriptions of wealthy woman traveling to Europe to give birth using "Twilight Sleep" and women's suffragists were demanding pharmacologic pain relief options for labor.

I don't see how this would be different in the 50s. And to deny poor women this form of pain relief that would have been readily available to more wealthy, upper class women seems a form of discrimination, doesn't it?

I am an advocate of natural birth - but I am also an advocate of women having choices in birth - and if that choice includes pharmacologic pain relief methods, she should have the right to it.

Call the Midwife is a fascinating series - unsure about the accuracy of it (were midwives wearing gloves to deliveries in the 50s? How do they keep their uniforms so pristinely WHITE?) - but I don't think OOH midwifery as we know it today (personalized, high-touch) existed in the 50s. Many of us in the US only know American-style modern OOH midwifery. Because midwives were few and far between in the US mid-century, we are not accustomed to the realities of midwifery at that time. What most people recognize as OOH 'midwifery' and the 'midwifery model of care' are recent constructs springing from the women's movement of the 60-70s.

Maybe in a few years, PBS will run a series on the early homebirth movement in the US set in the 1970s. Wouldn't that be a fun show?

sillysapling and mamaspike like this.
#13 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Well, as for accuracy, it is based on Jenny's memoirs, so...

I love it. I would totally love a no nonsense HB with Sr. Evangeline and Chummy. Sr. Evangeline would be all, "stop complaining! Lets do this!" LOL.

The gas was a little gross to me, but I definitely understand them wanting some relief, especially when their trusted attendants stood by its safety.
phathui5 likes this.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#14 of 28 Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

csbwhite, I do not consider "Call the Midwife" a homebirth series, for many of the reasons you bring up. That said, I find the quality of care from the MWs to be rather more sweet than your perspective. I suppose a lot of this gets more into what we want or expect out of midwifery care but in most episodes they give the kind of care that I more or less expect at a homebirth (if updated for current practice).  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krst234 View Post

Maybe in a few years, PBS will run a series on the early homebirth movement in the US set in the 1970s. Wouldn't that be a fun show?

Yes, it sure would! Though, I'm not sure I could handle the dialog - I could barely get through my own birth story written by my mom...it was all a little too much "groovy rush, and wave that..."  2whistle.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post

I love it. I would totally love a no nonsense HB with Sr. Evangeline and Chummy. Sr. Evangeline would be all, "stop complaining! Lets do this!" LOL.

Me too! 

#15 of 28 Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM

That episode was depicting an unfair quality of pain-relief options for the socio-economic culture of that time. Ironically, I think most women today do not have the right support, knowledge, and belief in the birth process to also adequately access the best pain-relief options, as well. I digress...

I really do enjoy the show. And I most definitely LOVE the midwives and most certainly find them to be warm, loving, and very sweet. I noticed from that episode there was mainly an omission of pain relief strategies that I offer as a Doula and what I would expect a midwife to offer her client, as well. Back rubs, words of affirmation, movement, breathing, no appoying look of shock of a mom's screaming, etc. This is just TV, so I am very forgiving! I would still much rather watch this show over Baby Story any day! 

#16 of 28 Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Guess what? They're filming a third season.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#17 of 28 Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM

YAY! Our library system doesn't have the book so I was wondering how long it would go on for as I've not read it.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#18 of 28 Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM

I haven't watched it yet but have heard from friends that is a good show. I need to try and watch it <3

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#19 of 28 Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 PM

I've enjoyed it too, and have also liked how they have a good relationship with a doctor and don't hesitate to call him when needed. I like how they address complicated issues. The babies seem so real, but my DH thinks they're prosthetics, which he's probably right.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#20 of 28 Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM

Wow, I just read the first book in two days and loved it!  I think it really depicts midwifery as a vocation, as many of us experience it.  It resembles "Spiritual Midwifery" in this aspect, yet uses a completely different language to convey the meaning.  I can't wait to read the next book, but there are 8 in the request line ahead of me at the library.  I might just have to order this one from amazon as well whistling.gif

#21 of 28 Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM

I have watched both seasons to date! Love the show!!  

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#22 of 28 Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive&pimiento View Post

Wow, I just read the first book in two days and loved it!  I think it really depicts midwifery as a vocation, as many of us experience it.  It resembles "Spiritual Midwifery" in this aspect, yet uses a completely different language to convey the meaning.  I can't wait to read the next book, but there are 8 in the request line ahead of me at the library.  I might just have to order this one from amazon as well whistling.gif

Does the show contain the same stories as the book, so if you have seen all the episodes, will the book feel like a repeat?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#23 of 28 Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 PM

It has more stories than the ones depicted on the show, and even the same stories go much more into depth.  I have to say that the stories about the workhouses and prostitution went far more into detail and were depressing.  Overall, it gave a much fuller picture of the experience of being a midwife in that place and time. 

#24 of 28 Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have really loved the show, though it is certainly not all uplifting and not a reflection of homebirth at its best. Still, one of the first episodes I saw was of a new MW singly attending a breech birth, with the doc being called in but trusting her to handle it. Seeing that sort of trust and empowerment for both mom/birth and midwife is rare on tv and welcome.

My MW has read the original memoirs and I expect I'd love it, too. Though I can certainly imagine the depressing parts being even more depressing.

I watched the season finale the other day and was terribly afraid the series was over. I'm so thrilled to have found that they are working on season 3. It's a great cast, wonderful relationships, poignant snapshots of life, and a refreshing take on birth as normal.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#25 of 28 Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 AM

I love the show. I know they have more "dramatic births". More frequently than they really occur but I love how the midwives handle them and it is no real big thing to have those things happen at home. Like shoulder dystocia, breech or even cord prolapse. One of the HB midwives I interviewed watches the show every week when it is in season. Her iPhone case says "Keep Calm and Call the Midwife."

I love how the Dr Turner trusts the midwives. I love how giving birth at home is the norm. Wish it were still considered normal these days.
JenVose likes this.
#26 of 28 Old 05-25-2014, 06:00 AM

I don't know if anyone else was watching this, but if you were, season 3 is up on pbs.com!

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#27 of 28 Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Didn't see the surprise ending of season three coming at all!

Season four and the Christmas special are in the works.

Bring back the old MDC
#28 of 28 Old 05-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I think its excellent.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page