Homebirthin' Mama's Thread...April 22,2004!!! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why call the ambulance if the midwives don't get there in time? I know you, you'll call them as soon as you feel the first twinge and even if it happens in an hour...You can handle it...and they would sure to be there shortly thereafter...I certainly trust in YOURS and your Hubby's ability to catch the baby should you have to do such a thing Those ambulance folks MIGHT slow it down though
#92 of 108 Old 05-11-2004, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oh, Kevin & I have decided that we'd 'forget' to call them if he were home... but what if he's at work? It would take hime even longer to get here than the midwives! I don't know how my mom would feel about not calling, and just waiting for the midwives to get here...

Ugh... I hope Kevins' plan works out & this *is* a Fathers Day baby! Then we'll be together for sure!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#93 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 03:28 PM

to all of you getting close to meeting your babies!
Tanja
#94 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 05:07 PM

Oh Tanjerine, how sweet! That was sweet of you to post those pix.

Today is my "official" due date, and we have a midwife appointment later. I've been feeling so junky (overall malaise) and last night I threw up my dinner (AGAIN) which makes me sad, and yet there are no regular b/h contractions or anything.

I said from the beginning that I thought I was going to go late, and I think I am. I was so naive back then, didn't realize how big and uncomfortable and etc I could get. Crazy me....

Come out little bay-bee, come join the world!!!!!!
#95 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 05:52 PM

Tanja, Maiya is so adorable! Thanks for sharing such sweet pics!

Molly, sending you great labor vibes!

Harriet, what do you think ambulence people can do for you if no one else can arrive in time? My inital impression is that they would cause you stress when you least need it, I am sure they would try to transport, I guess unless the baby is on its way out, in which case, do you really think you'd need them at that point? Hopefully baby cames when your dh is home and you don't even have to think about it!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#96 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 PM

Harriet I would never call the ambulance i would way rather take my chances unassisted.. I would think they would be right in there yanking and clamping and cutting the cord and carting you off to hospital regardless of how good things are going. Start researching about being prepared for unassisted so that you feel comfortable and confident in your own abilites. Try and find someone close by who can be there fast that you trust. Thats strange that the midwives are assuming your baby will come that fast, thats hard to guess that. Even my birth with maiya was considerably faster than my other births i knew something was up hours before she was born, and even when she was born as long as we all remained calm nothing got out of hand.. i think we were home and set up in about 15 minutes after getting home from the midwife then she was born shortly after with no chaos at all!
Tanja
#97 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 06:08 PM

Request for those who have had babies...

Besides water breaking, increasingly consistent contractions, the baby coming out, and so on, what are the LESS obvious signs that labor is approaching?

For instance, the last two days I've had a sort of general malaise, my uterus is contracting and getting "in the way" of movement more (but no obvious stop/start that I can time), and last night I tossed my cookies after waking from a sound sleep.

I can't help but wonder if those symptoms mean something. LOL at self, I know.

Is there anyone out there who can fuel my fire about this, by giving me all sorts of symptoms you had right before or as labor started "for real"?

#98 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 06:26 PM

I vote for not calling the ambulance too (unless there are complications and you need help or a quick transport, of course.) EMTs are given a ridiculously small amount of training about birth, so they'd be likely to do more harm than good, unless, like I say, the point is just to get you to the hospital fast. I would never ever ever call an EMT to a homebirth unless it was a dire emergency! I second Tanja's suggestion to find out what to do in case you are alone (which could happen even if you are planning on calling an ambulance.)

Sorry, Molly, no help here, I had *no* idea that labor was about to start until it actually did. Your symptoms sound promising though.
#99 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought I'd better check in here...I'm 37.5 weeks!

With #1, I didn't really have too many of those labor signs you hear about. No braxton hicks, no diarrhea, no vomiting, no nesting urge. The only thing I noticed was that starting at 35 weeks, I was passing large amounts of mucus. The baby dropped at 38 weeks, and I went into unmistakable labor the next day.

So far this time, there has been no mucus and the head is still floating. No signs at all, except this time I have the nesting urge. Or is it an "I don't want to give birth in a filthy house" urge?

I wonder if I will go to full term this time?
#100 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 06:51 PM

I guess my big fear is that *if* I don't call (I'd call when I start to *really* want to push) is that I might pass out after the baby is born. Not that anything would go majorly wrong. I know I could handle it up to actually giving birth if I had to. I hadn't considered that the paramedics might arrive before the baby is actually out. We've read up a bit on emergency childbirth. If I passed out though, that would be *so* scary for DS... what would he do until the midwives *did* get there?

I planted the garden today, in the backyard (where I *want* to labour, at a comfortable pace, with the midwives my DH, DS, mom & sisters) so according to Murphys Law (have I mentioned DH wants to call this baby Murphy? ... it seems that particular law comes up quite often with this one...) the baby will be born in the dead of night, when I won't be able to see the flowers.

#101 of 108 Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 PM

If you call an ambulance (DH is a paramedic and I was an EMT) they won't do anything but a) pray you don't have the baby b) catch the baby c) make sure you have an IV e) make sure the baby is breathing/clear the mucous and d) drive you to the hospital where they will check out the baby and you and send you home. A little out of order but not much different than what you would do. May cause stranger anxiety tension because they won't approve which could hold back your pushing or cause you to tense and therefor maybe tear (more).
Just my thoughts
#102 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 09:33 AM

Tanj- Maiya is beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#103 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 01:08 PM

nak
thanks everyone! maiya is soooo sweet.. she even sleeps in till 9:30 every morning! shes such a super baby!
Dh is going for his vasectomy tomorrow ..haha chances of getting pregnant before then are slim
thinking of all of you who are close and awaiting your birth stores!
Tanja
#104 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 02:26 PM

Well, I'm someone who would call the ambulance if m/w couldn't get here in time. I would refuse the IV, refuse to be transported (unless in an emergency), but would want to have them here in case the baby needed resuscitating or I hemmorhaged. I might even make them wait in the driveway if I were already pushing. I may very well be able to resuscitate the baby myself, but in the moment, I might panic and would want some back-up, esp back-up with oxygen, if necessary. I know a friend of a friend who was a novice m/w when she homebirthed her second baby and she said that during the pushing stage, she realized that she had no idea what she would do if there was a problem. She was alert enough to know that her mind was blank, but it was indeed blank. Turned out all was fine, but I guess this is one reason why I would not be comfortable with a UC. I'm not trying to convince you either way, Harriet, but wanted to offer the other perspective and support you if you decide that you'd like back-up.

In terms of pre-labor symptoms, I didn't really have the textbook ones either, but I remember clearly that the night before I went into labor, I was desperate to hear some live music. Somewhere in the back of my head was a story of a mom who had gone to a concert to urge her baby out, and I just had this feeling that we needed to be at a concert that night. So we found one, and as we walked from the car to the concert hall, I remember thinking that it was the first time I was truly uncomfortable and ready for my pregnancy to be over. Less than 12 hrs later, my water broke. Hard to say which came first . . . loud music or the beginnings of labor, but I'll be doing that again if we get antsy!
#105 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all your replies re:calling an ambulance... and thanks, Breathe, for bringing up the possibility of the baby needing resusitation (that seals it for me... I'd call an ambulance) When I was pregnant with Roland, I was really worried that the midwife might have to work to get him breathing (because it would be scary!!) As it turned out, Roland slid out *really* fast (after 45 minutes of pushing) and he didn't stop at his shoulders... DH says he thought: "Oh wow! An ear! HOLY CRAP!! A baby!!!" I remember hearing crying as I felt his body leave mine.

Pre-labour symptoms: I started losing my plug at bedtime one night. I knew that could happen weeks before the baby comes, and I was only 38 weeks along, so I just went to bed. I got up in the morning with DH ('Today' by Smashing Pumpkins was the song playing on his clock radio & I said "Wouldn't it be cool if that was the first song we heard in the morning on our babies birthday?!" DH looked at me like I was a flake) We had breakfast together, and he went to work. Then I went into a cleaning frenzy for 3 hours. It dawned on me that that wasn't normal behaviour for me (I'd usually go back to bed after DH left at 6am) I didn't think I was in labour or anything, I just thought 'why am I cleaning? I should be in bed!' I woke up at noon when my water broke. Roland was born 9 hours later.

****Note for first-timers: if your water starts to break, it's better just to stay put, rather than make a trail to the bathroom to blot up!****

#106 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 03:49 PM

I also missed all the traditional signs of pre-labour. Even though I was a week late I was shocked when I finally realized I was in labour. I waited to call the midwife, thus she didn't arrive until I was already pushing. My water didn't break until 20 minutes before my little man entered the world. For us there was very little that was traditional or followed the rules we had read about labour.
#107 of 108 Old 05-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Hee, hee . . . Hariett, that's a great tip about not tracking water all over the house! I'm not a first timer, but I bet I would try to make a run for it! (With my first, my water broke after I had stepped out of the shower. I was combing out my hair and was holding the towel between my legs. Talk about a good catch!)

And FWIW, our Bradley teacher was on the way to the birth ctr for her 2nd birth when she realized they would not make it. So she went back to her bed, had her dh call the m/w AND the ambulance and began pushing. Ambulance got there first, but dh had them wait in the hall outside the bedroom. They were apparently quite happy to do so! Then when the baby was born, they wanted to cut the cord and transport, but my friend told them, "My midwife is on the way and she said to not move until she gets here." They left her alone and sure enough, the m/w arrived within minutes, and took over. If I had to call 911, I'd hope for a crew as cooperative as those guys were!
#108 of 108 Old 05-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Just FYI - I was discussing this last bit with Dh (paramedic) and although he is pro natural birth homebirth etc (would be hard pressed not to around here) he said that if someone called for an ambulance he wouldn't take a refusal without a Dr or MW ok and preferably with a signature mainly to cover his butt. Protocols usually state that moms need IVs and O2 and O2 for babies and then rapid transport to hospital. If you are not pushing they will try and move you before you do. Again - this is not something EMS looks forward too - most would prefer not to deliver babies - a long standing joke is "call Dominoes for delivery." It's like anything - you are stuck with the luck of the draw! Good luck. Just wanted to get DHs opinion about this - you do have the right to refuse of course and you have to sign your life away - don't expect them to be super nice about it though - hopefully they are more professional than that though. Plus, I don't know how EMS works in BC just here in VA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page