Expecting #3 after a precipitous birth w/ #2. Should I expect another fast one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my first baby (hospital birth) came in 16 hours from first contractions to in my arms. When my water broke I dilated from 5-10 and had a baby in my arms 3 hours later. (40w3d)

Second baby (38w0d, out of hospital)- Water broke first. Contractions started an hour later. I barely felt them. My actual labor, from first contraction to baby in arms was a little over 2 hours. ;-) Accidental unassisted because labor went SO fast and I just wasn't in pain.

Now I'm expecting #3. Due in 3 months. MW says the third baby is the wild card and we just don't know what we are gonna get but we will plan on it being fast.
My doula from last time thinks if my water stays intact this time it won't be as fast.

Me on the other hand. I'm a little anxious. I guess because several people tell me I for SURE will have another fast one and then others act like I shouldn't worry. I'm not really stressing over it but I wondered what other's experiences were. Maybe that will give me an idea.

Has anyone had a precipitous birth and then had a long birth after?

Or is it once a fast one always a fast one?

Thanks ladies!

#2 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping. Thanks for any replies!
#3 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My first was 2 hours from AROM to fully dilated but not considered precipitous since I also had 2 hours of pushing.

My second was 4 hours of labor, 1 push.

My third was 6 hours of labor, 1 push.

But my third was by far my easiest. I didn't have to vocalize at all, even in transition I just did deep breathing. My mw said I was her first mom she had laughing and talking in transition. So that's just to say if it's longer it's likely to be easier too, ime.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM

I wonder about this a lot. I didn't have a precipitous labor but it was short (4hrs). By the time my husband made it home from work to get me to the hospital I was in transition. I had a baby an hour after we arrived at the hospital. We are strongly considering a home birth for the next one so I don't have to go anywhere in case it is faster next time. Good luck!
#5 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM

My first was 16 hours (38 weeks), my second was 45 minutes (42 weeks). I'm now pregnant with my third, same thing as OP, due in three and a half months and wondering what to expect. We are definitely prepared for a short one and possibly another unassisted by accident not design.

I can't even imagine how stressful it would be if I intended to birth somewhere else. As soon as I was "sure" I was in labor it would be madness to get out of the house and down the road. With my second I was 'almost' sure I was in labor for two weeks straight.

I'd love to hear more stories of third babies after precipitous labors.

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.
#6 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 AM

My first at 39 weeks was 21 hours from first real contraction to birth. 

Second at 39 weeks was 30 minutes AROM to birth. (not contracting before AROM, but I was 4cm dilated for a few weeks before being induced)

When I got to the third, I thought for sure it would be quick. At 39 weeks (again!), went into labor at 6pm and delivered at 12:07am.   

ETA: my first two were born in two pushes, whereas my third took 20 minutes of pushing. And they were all around the same size about 6.5 lbs give or take a few oz. 

#7 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 PM

My first was long, second was superfast like yours, third was long.  I did a non-scientific poll of a group of friends - it was about half and half in terms of third birth being same/shorter vs longer than second.

I agree with wildcard.

Carrie, wife to J, sahm to E, N, and A, followed by a bunch of crunchy labels and acronyms

#8 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM

First: 3 hrs 45 min - Second: 4.5 hours - Third: 1 hour 45 hours

My 3rd was my shortest of all as I've now had 2 more.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#9 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 PM

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago on a different board and you got more responses :). I'm curious about this too - my first was 17 hrs ending in c/s, my VBAC was 2 hours. I'm wondering what this one will be like! I wouldn't mind slightly longer, it was a little too fast.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM

I would say wildcard, but it would probably be best to plan for a fast one.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#11 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First 12 hrs, second 1 hr, 3 rd and 4 th much longer..
So this baby could be what ever short or long prepare for both.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page