Would you have a homebirth at 36 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

I am 35 weeks and on a moderate bedrest. I keep worrying that our little peanut is going to be born too early. Our midwife only does homebirth after 37 weeks, but how early would you comfortably give birth at home? If you were 36 weeks pregnant and your midwife couldn't do it, would you feel comfortable doing an unassisted birth at 36 weeks? I am trying to have options before this time comes just in case. I really would rather avoid the hospital. 

Thoughts?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I wouldn't do a homebirth before 37 weeks, personally.  Babies younger then that are more likely to have breathing difficulties, and to need observation and possibly some breathing assistance.

#3 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM

I would *maybe* do a homebirth at 36 and a few days, but I would definitely not do an unassisted birth at that point. Your chances of the baby needing additional help are significantly higher and not to have a trained professional there with the necessary equipment seems like too big of a risk to me.
mommyshanti likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Before 37 weeks your best bet is hospital. Even if there are successful preemie births on the internet at home, unassisted, babies born that early need may need special attention. Stay well hydrated, eat well and relax- keep that baby in and that is the best way to avoid the hospital. Please be safe for you and your baby. The hospital is a great place if you need it. I hope you get your homebirth, good luck!
#5 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 AM

if you call your midwife in labour and refuse to go to hospital then she has to attend to you. there is virtually no diff between 36 1/2 and 37 weeks, i personally would feel fine with a midwife by 36 and 3 days

#6 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Depending on the baby's development, correct vs incorrect dating, those few days can make a huge difference. I personally would not feel okay putting my midwife in that situation.
#7 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
if you call your midwife in labour and refuse to go to hospital then she has to attend to you. there is virtually no diff between 36 1/2 and 37 weeks, i personally would feel fine with a midwife by 36 and 3 days

What are you talking about? It would be illegal for a midwife to attend a birth that early in our state.

#8 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Vermontgirl, no I would not and especially not ua. I've never had a baby before 40+5 so I would not even feel comfortable at 37 weeks.

A friend of mine is being induced next week by her ob at exactly 39 weeks. She asked them to do it just 3 days earlier and they told her no way.

#9 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversparrow View Post

if you call your midwife in labour and refuse to go to hospital then she has to attend to you.

This is absolutely not true.  There is nothing you can do to force a homebirth midwife to attend you at *any* point, you certainly cannot successfully demand that she come to your house when she has already told you that the situation is outside her scope of practice, or exceeds her expertise to handle safely in your home.

fruitfulmomma likes this.
#10 of 30 Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM

DD was 35/36 weeks and while she didn't need the help breathing I am feeling better knowing we had a hospital for the other issues that arose. If closer to 37 weeks I would consider a homebirth depending how I felt. My midwives said if I was 36 w and 6d they would consider attending (since dd had no major issues) but legally could not attend before the 37th week.
It is unfair to ask a homebirth midwife to practice outside of her scope intentionally. Most are not covered by deep malpractice insurances like OB/hospitals and will suffer a deeper hit if anything goes awry and they were attending.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#11 of 30 Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM

My first came at 35w2d. While we desperately wanted a home birth, I would not feel comfortable with a home birth before 37 weeks. Maybe 36w6d if this second baby decides to be difficult wink1.gif.

We still had a wonderful, natural birth with our midwives at the hospital.

#1 Baby Boy born Jan 1 2009 at 35 weeks 2 days PPROM

#2 Baby Boy born April 22 2013 at 34 weeks 6 days PPROM

#12 of 30 Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM

My first came at 35w2d. While we desperately wanted a home birth, I would not feel comfortable with a home birth before 37 weeks. Maybe 36w6d if this second baby decides to be difficult wink1.gif.

We still had a wonderful, natural birth with our midwives at the hospital.

#1 Baby Boy born Jan 1 2009 at 35 weeks 2 days PPROM

#2 Baby Boy born April 22 2013 at 34 weeks 6 days PPROM

#13 of 30 Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM

The rules vary state by state. Here in Oregon, midwives can attend a homebirth after 36 weeks and I would be (mostly) comfortable doing so. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 30 Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 PM

I'm taking a child development class at university right now, and have been astonished to see what a difference just a few days makes in pregnancy. The brain scans and other stats of preemies just days apart are notable even to lay people. Their brains are literally growing exponentially. I'd never risk having a preemie at home because they are just often enough not healthy babies.

We may get nervous about hospitals pathologizing healthy birth and healthy babies--- but when things go wrong, they're the ones with the interventions that can save lives-- not you.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#15 of 30 Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 AM

It all depends on how far you are from a hospital and how your local hospital handles premature babies. If you live close enough to transport in a timely manner if baby is born and needs extra help, that gives you some leeway as far as where you're giving birth.

Also, some hospitals are great with doing the best thing for preemies and some are awful. If you're there birthing a preemie, is the hospital going to delay cord clamping, or are they going to clamp it and whisk baby away to be "evaluated?" While hospital procedure is to take baby to the warmer to be seen by a nurse or pediatrician, evaluations can be done just as well with the baby in mom's arms. I had a doula client who had a 36 weeker and the NICU doc would not allow her to even attempt to breastfeed for the first week because he thought that the baby wasn't old enough to "waste the energy." That baby would have been better off at home, breastfeeding. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#16 of 30 Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your responses. Upon deeper thought I have decided that if it is before 37 weeks, we will be in the hospital because I don't want to put any risks on his health. So far he is staying in there though! 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#17 of 30 Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

It all depends on how far you are from a hospital and how your local hospital handles premature babies. If you live close enough to transport in a timely manner if baby is born and needs extra help, that gives you some leeway as far as where you're giving birth.

Anyone who has worked with, taken care of, or lost premature infants will tell you that, depending on how premature the infant in question is, this is potentially some pretty terrible advice.  The variance in the lung maturity of premature infants can vary widely even assuming no error in calculating gestational age - you can have identical twin preemies born and one of them will have a fine pair of lungs and one will not.  In such cases, requiring additional minutes to get the infant help in breathing can make the difference between life and death.

Part of being supportive of home birth is making sure that you don't recommend it in a knee-jerk fashion when it's not appropriate.  This seems like one of those times when advice that is clearly well-intentioned is also clearly misguided.

SmtmsAlwys likes this.
#18 of 30 Old 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SympatheticDad View Post

Part of being supportive of home birth is making sure that you don't recommend it in a knee-jerk fashion when it's not appropriate.  This seems like one of those times when advice that is clearly well-intentioned is also clearly misguided.

Please be cautious in our wording. I love how you acknowledged that Phathiu5's advice was clearly well-intentioned but I don't think it was knee-jerk. Lets assume the best. It's fine to disagree but we want to be sure to frame it in a way that feels respectful of our members. 

Vermontgirl, following along, I see that you have decided to birth in the hospital if your baby comes soon. That would be my choice as well. At some point in my journey as a HB mama I decided that I was not comfortable birthing at home with any but the most minor risk factors.  I hope your baby holds in there so you can have her/him at home if that's what you have chosen for a full term pregnancy.  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#19 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

How funny. Here I am at 36 weeks at the hospital. My water broke last night, and it has been 10 hours or so with no contractions. We are waiting and hoping things pick up, but we are in the hospital. I am at peace with it. Just so excited to meet my little guy!

#20 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Best wishes for a healthy and fast birth!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#21 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Best wishes for a healthy and fast birth!

#22 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Great to hear your intuition helped you prepare. I am wishing you tons of great contractions!
#23 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

How funny. Here I am at 36 weeks at the hospital. My water broke last night, and it has been 10 hours or so with no contractions. We are waiting and hoping things pick up, but we are in the hospital. I am at peace with it. Just so excited to meet my little guy!

Congrats, mama!!  Best wishes for a lovely, safe and comforting birth. Looking forward to reading your birth story. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#24 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM

Used to be that midwives could attend at 36 weeks in some places. Might still actually be that way in a few states? But, I'm glad you are at peace with your decision. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#25 of 30 Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

So glad we didn't do a homebirth. Our little boy was taken from my arms immediately at birth and transported to a larger hospital because he wasn't breathing properly, and we are just going home today after four days. He is doing great now, but I am SO thankful I didn't attempt this unassisted. 

#26 of 30 Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm glad to hear you're all doing well now and grateful you make the choice to birth in the hospital. Enjoy your babymoon now that you're home!

#27 of 30 Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Oh, I love a happy ending. I am so glad you were in the right place.
#28 of 30 Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM

Congrats! and glad to hear that you are doing better!

#29 of 30 Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

So glad we didn't do a homebirth. Our little boy was taken from my arms immediately at birth and transported to a larger hospital because he wasn't breathing properly, and we are just going home today after four days. He is doing great now, but I am SO thankful I didn't attempt this unassisted. 

How are you adjusting to your first day at home? Hope the transition is going well mama! What an amazing knowing you had, that he would arrive before 37 weeks and that you felt going to the hospital was right for you. I am in awe of the clarity you had. Don't doubt your instincts for sure!! Congrats on the new addition, I would love to read your birth story if you ever wish to share it.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#30 of 30 Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Glad to hear it went well and you made a good decision for you. Congrats on your new little one! 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page