Homebirth and doctor/insurance issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So sadly I'm not in a state where medicaid will pay for homebirths :( but I'm still kicking it around with my husband. We live 40 minutes from the nearest hospital w/ a maternity ward which is kind of scary.... plus we are low on funds. I just picked up Spiritual Midwifery and am going to meditate on it since it's what my intuition is telling me is best.

Anyways. Speaking of medicaid (or insurance in general) has anyone had issues doing a home birth after having conventional care throughout the pregnancy? I'm currently driving over an hour and a half to a hospital that offers MWs..... I would probably switch practices to the closest one incase I have an issue then I am at least a patient somewhere and can be rushed to a hospital without it being an issue. 

Could I get kicked off of medicaid for this (homebirth)? Or are there any legal issues involved? I'm in Ohio which to the best of my knowledge doesn't have legislation for or against this. 

#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The hospital/clinic providers will bill for the care they provide you during your pregnancy. If you do not show up to give birth - they'll probably wonder what happened to you. Unless you plan on telling them you're using a midwife and planning a home birth.

The issue I'd be most concerned with is the ability to coordinate care between the hospital and OOH birth teams. I know it's hard to make birth plans in less-than-ideal circumstances. There seems to be many things (distance from hospital, Medicaid, location of hospital midwifery practice) factoring into this decision to birth at home.

Most OOH midwives want clients to receive prenatal care with them - to provide continuity of care- so usually clients end up doing double appointments with their midwife and hospital provider - and this ends up not saving any money.

I hope you find a birthing provider and situation that works for you!
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The hospital/clinic providers will bill for the care they provide you during your pregnancy. If you do not show up to give birth - they'll probably wonder what happened to you. Unless you plan on telling them you're using a midwife and planning a home birth.

The issue I'd be most concerned with is the ability to coordinate care between the hospital and OOH birth teams. I know it's hard to make birth plans in less-than-ideal circumstances. There seems to be many things (distance from hospital, Medicaid, location of hospital midwifery practice) factoring into this decision to birth at home.

Most OOH midwives want clients to receive prenatal care with them - to provide continuity of care- so usually clients end up doing double appointments with their midwife and hospital provider - and this ends up not saving any money.

I hope you find a birthing provider and situation that works for you!
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've always used Medicaid for insurance (in Maryland, then in Oregon) and haven't had any issues with them regarding my homebirths. We used a CPM in Maryland, so had to pay out of pocket. Honestly, I doubt Medicaid even knew where we gave birth since they weren't billed for it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page