Has anyone changed course at 30+ weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...and not in the usual direction. Because of some extenuating circumstances, I am seriously considering switching from a home birth to a hospital birth. My last 2 were born at home, but we've had some stuff come up that just isn't compatible with a low-stress, peaceful home birth. So I was just curious... has anyone else ever backtracked this late? My first was born in hospital, so I'm familiar with the routines/hurdles. I'm confident I can handle that part.

Also, anyone ever NOT had dh present at the birth? And not because of military deployment or something similar, but by choice? My youngest has health issues that I really am uncomfortable having anyone other than dh or myself take care of, so that's being considered as well. Eek. This has been such a long, long pregnancy.

Thanks for any responses.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM

I switched at 30 weeks, but from hospital to homebirth. I think it would be FINE, especially since you're familiar with it! DH was present at both births, but I'd be comfortable not having him there. I really wanted him there for #1, but if I had a DC that had health issues I think I'd rather him be with the child than with me. And in the hospital you'll have nurses to help you with anything you need anyways. Maybe you could figure out some sort of webcam situation or at least have someone record the birth if he's worried about missing it? Sorry you're dealing with all this right now.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM

My midwife backed out on us for our last baby around 32 weeks & we went the hospital route being new in town/state & not having a support of any kind. It wasn't bad & cured a lot of my "white coat syndrome". Actually the CNM's & hospital were awesome compared to the military hospital I delivered our first in. But not homebirth awesome. :)  We did go hospital shopping though, the one in town has a 30% ceserean rate & we opted to drive the 30 min. to the magnet hospital the next county over. All of the hospitals were very interested & friendly & were mostly just concerned that we receive care at all, they were glad to know we had been seeing someone. Social services did come in after delivery as we came in so late for official care but they were equally friendly & just wanted to know why we came in so late & to ascertain that I wasn't a drug addict.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the feedback. It's a weird, weird situation to be in. Home birth is supposed to be The Choice, you know? And I've had 2 great home births. But this time, everything is just in so much flux, it's really starting to feel like I'm being backed in to a corner with the home birth. Like I said, weird. 

Thanks again for the replies! Peace.gif

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM

My DH was not at our third baby's birth. DH & our 2 kids had a terrible flu. Honestly...I was so much more at peace leaving my spirited boys at home with daddy rather than with my mom/babysitter. I would actually consider leaving the boys at home with DH again if we ever have a fourth! (DH was totally okay with spending time with the big boys while I had a baby with my mom. I am surprised at how weird it wasn't!)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM

I had a hospital birth after three home births and it was the best decision, most compassionate choice that I have ever made for myself.  

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Just started a thread about this, http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1381906/anyone-decide-to-birth-in-the-hospital-voluntarily-after-planning-home-birth#post_17333678...I've been planning a second home birth, but now having second thoughts for many reasons.  I'll admit to curiosity about your reasons for considering the switch, skyblufig. Mine have to do with lack of confidence in my MW (no backup or assistant or apprentice, lives 2.5 hrs from me, doesn't feel rock solid to me). Have you made a decision yet? If so, how did it all go down?

loveneverfails, if you could share more about your circumstances and how it all worked out, please feel free to PM me.  Just looking for input while I navigate through the pros and cons of each choice, and how they stack up against each other. 

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

OP here. The reason for our switch is mainly my son has a chronic health condition that we only feel comfortable with my dh or myself caring for him at this point. It just isn't going to work for my dh to be tending to him, tending to my older two, and trying to support me during labor as well, even with our awesome midwife. Plus, I would be distracted, worrying about him, instead of going with the labor flow. 

I found a great group of cnms willing to take me on at 32 weeks, and am very much looking forward to working with them at a nearby hospital. My dh will be at home with the kids. I'll be checking out of hospital, with baby, after 24 hours. I'm at peace.

Good luck to you,

Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Skyblufig, happy you were able to work it all out. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM

OP, that's great you were able to find a hospital-based CNM practice! Wishing you a peaceful and smooth birthing time. 

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM

I was 37 weeks & had to switch from planned homebirth to hospital birth. I apparently have a placenta abnormality which prevents me from giving birth at home, or at least, prevents my midwife from assisting. What I have is called a bilobate / bilobal placenta. I actually posted here to find out more info about it than I was able to come up with from researching on my own. In any case, my daughter was a water birth at a birth center, but it was pretty much as if I was at home. I really had no idea what to expect by switching to hospital last minute, especially since it wasn't truly by choice either. I can tell you, my mind is put at ease after having met the OB & after my midwife explaining more about my situation. Knowing that Placenta Previa isn't a concern by either the OB or my midwife is good. Also knowing they are both on board with me still doing a natural birth if I want to, has put my mind at ease. The only thing I am still unsure of, is I wanted a water birth this time because I know that was the one thing that really helped with Miya's birth, however, the hospital doesn't really have the option. Eastern Washington really doesn't have any place to do a water birth apparently, especially when it comes to hospitals. However, I am optimistic as I asked my OB if it might be possible to bring in my own tub & hose & supplies & set it up as if I were doing it at home. He didn't see a problem with it & said he would just have to run it by someone at the hospital. He said I'd be a pioneer for water birth if it is allowed. I told him I'd sign a waiver if I needed to. Now, my main concern is I know they generally require at least 24 hours stay, but I have a just turned 1 yr old who still very much breast feeds day & night & currently, their dad isn't with us, so I am hoping they will make an exception if they know I have follow up care from my midwife & such. My baby girl is going to need me too, so I hope & pray they will accomodate & if not, that they will allow Miya to be with me for the duration of our stay. It is a bit stressful as the longest we have been apart is maybe 7 hrs tops... Ahh! My midwife is also not abandoning me just because she can't do the homebirth, so stresses are kept at a minimum in that regards. Ultimately, my babies are my top priority & I want what's best for them both, so hospital birth, although not my first pick, is okay with me.

User Tag List