Antidepressants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't found ANY information on this so I guess i'll give it a shot..
I'm not on medication but have been dealing with bad anxiety lately. I'm trying to deal without any meds but if worse comes to worse and I do get on ad's would it affect my chances of giving birth at home or a birth center. I don't know if it would put the pregnancy at a higher risk or not.. I've been trying to look EVERYWHERE for info on this but nothing :/ I honestly don't see why it would affect giving birth at home (or center) rather than the hospital but I know midwives takes alot of precautions. Does anyone have an expierence with this?

#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I'm not sure about how using medications (for whatever the reason) affect risk factors for home or birthcenter birth. But, what I do know is that there is a wealth of information on medications during pregnancy. 

I like Kellymom for some good, nonbiased, pro-women/mother, information on medications during pregnancy and especially breasfeeding.  You can also do a search here - there will be literally hundreds of threads on the subject. If you want, I could do a search for you and post a few threads - I'd be more than happy to. 

Also, perhaps just post a general thread in the pregnancy forums for more views/opinions and experiences on medications during pregnancy. 

Perhaps also just speak with your MW to see what she has to say. You may also choose a MW based on her experience with depression - I imagine that could be enormously comforting to you during this special time. 

Good luck in your search, Mama. I wish you well as your struggle with depression during your pregnancy (and in general) and BIG congrats on your pregnancy!!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I only have my own experience to offer to here it goes:

I have dealt with depression and anxiety since before my first was born. I have tried many natural methods but for me, only prescription medication has brought relief. I have been on Zoloft for two pregnancies and nursed while on zoloft with zero problems for me or baby. I am planning my first homebirth and my midwives have no issues with me being on it. But keep in mind that every medication is different and what may work for me may not work for you. Zoloft is pretty safe for pregnancy and nursing but there are other medications that are not. I wouldn't hesitate to also see a psychiatrist if you can because they are often much more knowledgeable about medications while pregnant and nursing than other practitioners. (With my first pregnancy my OBs were CLUELESS).

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page