Water birth/ laboring in water, did you like it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I have the tub your midwife is going to lend you. I don't remember it's packed away in the garage but I did buy the special liner for it.

I had it blown up and ready. Mine even has a cover to keep the water warm. We ran a hose from the utility sink to fill it. Here is where it gets complicated. When I went to get in the water was cold. Our water heater had run out of hot water and my DH was pumping cold water into it. I told him get all the biggest pots we have and start boiling! And microwaving! I went back to laboring on the toilet. I was very comfortable there to that point and was able to pass all my pee and poop during contractions freely. I got back in while the water was cold I couldn't wait. Then we had an assembly line of hot water being dumped in. All I could manage to say was enough. Meaning the water was too hot but DH figured I had enough water in the tub. I DIDN'T!

So my one complaint for the two water births I've had is that I didn't have enough water either time. My midwife didn't fill the birthing tub enough with baby 2 and DH didn't understand I just didnt't wanted more hot water (he was cooking me!) but still wanted more water!

I pooped in the tub with baby 2. They scooped it out no biggie. That midwife was very paranoid about me getting an infection from the water and drained it immediately after baby was out. She was also my midwife for baby 3 and made me immediately get out of the tub after baby was out (can't easily drain the birth pool). But I've watched lots of videos where the mom stays in the tub and questioned my new midwife about it. She said she has no concerns at all with the water giving me or the baby an infection. She has been a midwife a lot longer then my last midwife and I trust her. So this time EVERYONE knows I want the tub full! I'm even going to hang up signs! And I want everyone sticking their elbows in testing the water. I never heard that you can only have the water 98 degrees btw. My water was warm/hot with both births. I also plan on delivering the placenta in the water this time. Getting out and delivering it on my couch all wet and uncomfortable while consoling my screaming newborn was not fun. My labors keep getting shorter by half's. 8 hours, 4 hours, 2 hours. I'm scared this one will be so fast there may not be a tub. Hopefully I'm at home! Hopefully my DH is home he works about an hour away.

Well good luck to you. Though I would give you that info about water temp. and poop.
P.S. My DH had some issues with draining it. He refused to suck on the hose and get it going. Wimp what's so bad about a little birth pool water in your mouth? LOL
dayiscoming2006 likes this.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

#32 of 38 Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM

My 5th baby was a waterbirth.  Best.thing.ever!  The pool wasn't ready until I was in transition, unfortunately.  However, once I got in the water, it was like a little slice of heaven, and I relaxed instantly.  I am planning to have the pool available again for this baby, but I will follow my body's lead with regard to another waterbirth.  

#33 of 38 Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM

I had my second in a hospitaller birth center with a built in birth tub. I figured I would try it and see. Lots of thing I try don't work, but you never know.
I got in and was in love. My contractions had been on top of each other And they slowed down by half, but I progresses more quickly because I was so relaxed and just le t my body go rather than tensing up to hold on through it. I only moved to ask of a drink. Transition was me waking up to my midwife telling me if I felt like pushing to push if I wanted.
Bee came easily, but a little gurgle from my water not breaking and I was more sad to get out of the tub than to give her to daddy and the nurse for a little suction.

My le bassine came today with liners for this birth and the planned next one. No way would I plan to birth without.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#34 of 38 Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Thank you for this thread! I have been trying to decide myself whether to get a pool or have just my regular tub. 

I know I want to try the water regardless!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#35 of 38 Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM

So since my earlier post I gave birth to DS2. This go round, I hated the tub!! It was fine between contractions but i had to be standing to handle my contractions this time, hanging on DH, so I only lasted maybe 3 contractions in the tub! Last time it was a life saver. However, this time my labor was only 2.5 hrs long, so early labor was only 30 mins and i wasn't in the tub until active labor, which was also way more intense than last time. You really can't predict things ahead of time! I was sure I'd love the water!!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#36 of 38 Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM

I enjoy being in water during labor, but at some point during both of my births before transition, I wanted out of the tub. I plan to have a tub for my third, but I assume I will have another land birth.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#37 of 38 Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

I did, with my second. Water birth never really appealed to me (even though I do love baths!). To me, it was just one more variable that I didn't want to research and get into. Ha!  But, a couple of weeks before the birth (at my home visit), the MW assistant encouraged me to get the pool. It was inexpensive and they did all the set-up AND breakdown so it was sort of a no-brainer in terms of having around for pain relief. I ended up really liking it and spent transition and the second stage in the pool.

For one, they said I couldn't/shouldn't get in the pool until pretty well into labor. I wasn't being checked so I liked this subtle message about how far along I was in early labor. Once in the water, I think it was just the ease of movement and the soft, smushy walls that helped me get through transition with relative ease. I didn't love being all wet after the birth... but I suppose I was also a little less caked with birth goo, which I'm sure is something I let go unappreciated. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 38 Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I LOVED it. With my first birth it was so useful, relaxing, etc etc.  My second was a shorter labor but still it was so worth it.  I know not everyone finds it so essential (or even pleasant) but I have no idea how people can give birth out of water. 

The first time around, I thought- hey, I love baths, I bet I'll like being in water.  And I was right.  The relaxation of being in the warm water.  The buoyancy for me, and also for the baby coming out (I liked not being able to feel the downward pull of gravity then).

Both times I had the La Bassine.  Fantastic!  So comfy under my knees.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page