Water birth/ laboring in water, did you like it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm just curious about people's feelings on waterbirth or just laboring in water - in a large tub or birth tub. 

My midwife is willing to provide a birth tub and I just need to get a liner if I would like to use it. I have never had a water birth. The idea of doing that sounds strange to me in a way? But, I don't like pain so if it helps with that, I'm all about trying it out. LOL

I'm curious about other people's opinions. Did you like waterbirth or laboring in water or did you find that you didn't really like it after all? Any opinions welcome.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I had a waterbirth with my second child. My first I had an epidural... I would take the waterbirth any day hands down. I started to go into transition before I was in the water and when my midwife saw this she pushed me into the tub and it was amazing how quickly I relaxed. It was the first time I was really able to just zone out while in labour and it was during transition! 

Hands down I would do it again! Although there are no midwives here but there are tubs in the birthing and recovery rooms here. 

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM

I had a water birth at home with my 3rd child. My first two where c-sections. I liked it because it was hot water and it soothed my back pain and contractions. I couldnt sit still or lay down in bed while having contractions. For me i was more in pain and couldnt deal with it. I will be having a second water home birth in oct

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM

I had my second baby at home in the tub (first was home, no tub). It was the best thing ever. It just made the contractions so much more managable--and this was an ordinary bath tub, not a fancy birth tub.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

I had a natural hospital birth with my first, and am so thankful that we got the one birthing suite at the hospital with a bathtub.  When we were finally admitted to the suite (I had to stay in triage for 2 hours even though I arrived at 5.5cm because there were no rooms available) I couldn't get naked and into that tub fast enough.  I stayed in the tub until it was time to push (thanks to very hands-off doctors who didn't want to disturbe me to check dilation since I was doing so well in the water) and while transition was still hard I know it was easier thanks to the water.

This time we are having a HB and while I'm not planning for a water birth, I do plan to labor in the bath tub again.  If staying there feels right, I can always deliver in the tub too.

I did love the water!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

3 kids, 3 water births. :) With my last baby I didn't get in until after 8 cm though I wanted to (pool wasn't ready, fast labor).

Out of curiosity OP, where in Texas are you?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM

I LOVED being in the water during labor.  It helped SO much with the pain and felt SO good!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Had my first baby out home on the bed and the second in the birth pool beside the bed. Would heartily recommend a water birth to anyone. The water eased the pain and intensity and helped a lot with stretching. I tore some while pushing out my 10lb 13 oz son who had a 15 inch head but I'm sure it would have been even worse OUT of the water!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont think I could have made it all natural without the water. It helped so much with the pain! I couldnt get a good power postion for pushing in the water so when that time came I was back on dry land. I think the water is the reason why I didnt tear! Good luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM

I had a water birth with my 2nd and now have no idea how people can birth out of the water lol. Whenever I see pictures of my friends after birth in a hospital bed it just looks so unnatural to me

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM

I have not felt a desire to labor in a tub so i cant really answer your question but i thought i'd add my two cents anyway. For me it has felt best to be grounded, that helped me feel more in control of my body. Being in water, while soothing, would have made me feel less grounded and, thus, more anxious. I also preferred to know how much blood came out of me, which seems much easier to do on land. I bet its wonderful for some people but its not for everyone. I also didnt want to have to deal (or make DH deal) with setting up, filling the tub and then emptying it.

Mama to I (3/11) and pregnant again (3/20/13) love.gif

The richness of life cannot be sold nor bought. --me
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM

I had a water birth with my #1 and labored a bit in the tub but, for me, it was not so comfortable. However, when baby was born I was in the tub and that was great. I would definitely do another water birth again!

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Laboring in water was a GREAT comfort measure for me. I loved the pressure it took off my hips, which is where I felt contractions, contractions, and I loved how I could use it to enforce privacy. I didn't have a birthing tub, but the hospital where I birthed had a tub in the bathroom, so I ended up being able to close the door and create a quiet place for me and my husband. Once my water broke and I hit transition, though, I got restless right away, wanted to get up, stand up, sit down, lie on my side, etc. I needed to be on dry land for sure.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I know lots of people adore it, but I didn't love labouring in water. I liked it during DD's induced birth, but the midwife made me get out after an hour because I was "getting too comfortable" (ha!) and she wanted to hurry the baby out (I had pre-eclampsia).

For the rest of DD's birth I used a hot wheatie bag for pain relief, and it was great. When DS was born I planned to have a water birth. I used the hot wheatie bag again before I got in the tub, and when I finally did I found the water disappointing. It was nice between contractions, but it didn't give me nearly the same level of distracting heat and pressure that I'd got from the wheatie bag - I found it quite wimpy by comparison. So I got out again. I intended to get back in for the actual birth, but changed my mind while climbing in and ended up giving birth standing up in the tub - an over-water birth, if you will!

With my (theoretical) next baby, I'd like to have the tub available, and try standing in it with hot water from a shower head playing on my lower back. If there was really good water pressure I can imagine that being really nice. But who knows? My first two labours were so different - maybe next time I'll find relief by burying my head in the carpet or crawling under the bed or dangling out the window! Labour's weird. It's hard to know beforehand what you'll like. For which reason, I'd recommend keeping your options open - have a tub if it's not too much of a pain to get one, but don't rely on it as your sole pain relief mechanism. (I used hypnobabies with DS, as well as the wheatie bag.)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

3 kids, 3 water births. :) With my last baby I didn't get in until after 8 cm though I wanted to (pool wasn't ready, fast labor).

Out of curiosity OP, where in Texas are you?

I'm in Austin. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving reading all the different experiences. I don't know how much I'll like it, I have decent sized babies. Last one was 9lbs 3oz - 14 inch head circ. I haven't torn with any of my dry births, though I was given an episiotomy after the head was already out with my first??? Stupid. But, anyway. I kinda like the grounded feeling of land too and I pushed hands and knees or kneeling with the last two, but I guess since the midwife would probably be in charge of it, I could just have the pool as an option. If I don't like it, well whatever, didn't cost me much of anything. I'll talk to her about it again at my next appointment. See what she thinks. She told me she's seen it help a lot with pain for a lot of women last time I asked. My only concern is space. It would probably have to go in the dining room... and my dining room is carpeted. 

Old 04-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Honestly, I could take it or leave it.  When I was laboring with DS I was in the tub for about an hour when the midwife noticed some decels and wanted me out for better maneuvering.  So climbing out of the tub with a crowning baby was a bit awkward.  ROTFLMAO.gif

I didn't really notice a difference for me, it was nice and all, but meh.  I really thought I'd like it more.  With this one, we're doing homebirth instead of free-standing birth center and I'm opting not to bother with it.  Like someone else said, there's always the bathtub.  orngtongue.gif  

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I'm in Austin. 

I'm in the ft hood area! My Mw was Sandra Tallbear. smile.gif

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm in the ft hood area! My Mw was Sandra Tallbear. smile.gif

Pretty sure I've seen her name before when looking for midwives. I'm using Patty Sprinkle. She's been excellent. Hands off, respectful of my feelings and wishes for things. So glad someone recommended her to me. She's only taking about 1 client a month at the moment, which works perfect for me. 

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Saf

I loved the birth tub! I loved it so much my midwives had to make me get out of it. :) I'd relax and the labour would slow down a little. I got to rent an actual birth tub - Birth Pool in a Box (http://www.birthpoolinabox.ca/Features_%26_Benefits.html). Supposedly it was designed by midwives in the UK. It was a great size, had a little step for leaning on, and squatting on, had handles in several convenient places. I did find it helped with the pain - it made it less intense, sort of muted. They got me in and out every half hour or so, and it was fine. I'm only 5' 4", but I didn't have any difficulty stepping over the sides. If I was having another, I'd definitely do it again. Also a pro - the mess was contained. My husband just hooked up the hose and siphoned all the water out to the garden.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 5'8" so, my regular bath tub would be rather useless. LOL 

I can't imagine moving anywhere with a crowning baby. I remember they tried to convince me to turn over on my back in Romania while baby was crowning and I told them it was impossible and no way. LOL 

I think I'll drop my midwife an email about what kind of birth pool she has available for use. 

Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

The one she's offering for use would be the "la bassine 100 gallon tub."

Old 04-10-2013, 02:33 PM

I had a water birth with #1 in the hospital, and it was pretty unpleasant for me. I thought it would be soooo great, especially because my whole pregancy I just had this insane craving for hot tubs! lol So I was pumped for my waterbirth. But then when it actually happened, I wasn't allowed to have the water any hotter than 98 degrees, because it's not safe for the baby to be in water any hotter than that. Well, body temperature water is really not pleasant. Since it doesn't warm you up, any part of you that gets wet and then sticks out of the water will just feel cold. It was very distracting to me to be so uncomfortable just sitting there in body temperature water. Yuck! My dry birth with #2 was infinitely better. 

Oh yeah, and I bled a lot with #1 so after she came out I was literally sitting in a tub full of blood. Red opaque water. Pretty gross. Not to mention the poop thing. I was lucky I didn't poop, but if it happens, the water is instantly contaminated, even if someone scoops it out. That opens the baby up to infection and lots of bad things. 

Water birth=totally overrated in my book!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I labored for hours in a la bassine tub w/ #1, but got out because pushing wasn't very effective.  Gave birth on the birth stool.  My second was born in the tub, but I only  got to labor in it for an hour or two because I was going fast and there was a little trouble setting the tub up. 

The biggest benefit of the tub for me was the buoyancy, all that water took away that heavy, awkward late-pregnancy feeling and let me easily move into whatever position worked for that particular contraction.  I moved a lot during my first labor.  Things were pretty intense by the time it was ready during my second labor so I found a good position (kneeling with my legs wide apart, leaning onto the side of the tub) and just parked there until the baby came out.  I was able to let my belly/pelvis just float freely in that position, which was great to be able to relax all the muscles in my back and belly. 

The body temp water didn't bother me at all.  My first was born in late July and we had no a/c.  I was able to keep a comfortable temperature with the water evaporating off me (and some occasional fanning and cool wash cloths).  With my second I had a huge hot flash during transition, my mom was pouring ice cold water down my back, dh said my skin felt freezing to touch, and I was still complaining of feeling SO hot.  I wouldn't have wanted the water any warmer. 

Also, I found the sensation of the water being poured down my back very distracting from the pain.  It only happened because of the hot flash, but next time I  plan to remind my team that I found it really helpful. 

I liked the la bassine.  It has handles on the inside if you need to grab onto something, and the walls and bottom are inflated, making it very comfortable to kneel on and lean against.  The liner fits very snugly against the tub and around the handles. 

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM

I loved laboring in the tub, but I got out for pushing. Mainly because I felt like I had no leverage in there (I'm short, <5 feet)

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Lachney View Post

Oh yeah, and I bled a lot with #1 so after she came out I was literally sitting in a tub full of blood. Red opaque water. Pretty gross. Not to mention the poop thing. I was lucky I didn't poop, but if it happens, the water is instantly contaminated, even if someone scoops it out. That opens the baby up to infection and lots of bad things. 

Just commenting because there was another thread on this very recently.  Apparently it is not a concern if there is some poop in the tub.  Here is the thread, and here is the study noted in the thread.

The conclusion: "CONCLUSIONS: Results suggest clear medical advantages of water birthing: significantly shorter labor duration among the primiparae; a net reduction in episiotomy rates; and a marked drop in requests for pain relievers. During expulsion of the fetus at delivery, fecal matter is released into the birth pool water, contaminating it with micro-organisms. Despite this, water birthing was found to be safe for the neonate and did not carry a higher risk of neonatal infection when compared with conventional vaginal delivery."

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to buy the needed supplies to borrow her pool - liner, hose, and fishy net. The person who suggested the form fitted - made for the la bassine liner was nice because it fit snug over it convinced me to spend the extra 20 dollars for the one made for it rather than the generic. Maybe I'll like the water, if I don't, well, at least I gave it a try. :)

I am loving all these responses to how people liked it either way. As long as anyone wants to, feel free to keep adding on. I know I'm not the only one curious about people's experiences on this. I'll keep on reading. 

Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM

When I was pregnant with my first and read about water birth that was all I wanted. I'm a Pisces. I've always loved the water. It brings me peace. I always retreat to the water when I'm sick, it seems like the only thing to do! I had/have severe menstrual cramps and the only thing to make them stop is submerging in water. Even if I'm suffering from food poisioning the only place I can be is the tub. That being said obviously the only place I would want to give birth is in the water.

I had a horrific hospital birth with my first. I was promised I could labor in the tub, however I didn't get a room with a tub. Those rooms were filled up with moms laid up in bed with epidurals. I showered but I can't say showering ever helped me in the past and it certainly didn't help then.

With baby 2 I went to a birth center and had my water birth. I was 10cm when I got there and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful that water felt. The birth was so much easier. I did not have the pain, the ring of fire, nothing.

Baby 3 was at home in my birthing pool. He came fast and furious. It was a different kind of labor with no breaks but I was happy I was in the water. Again I didn't have the ring of fire or pain when he came out.

I think it's personal. I have heard moms say they couldn't stand being in the water. I've heard moms say they really enjoyed it while laboring but did not want to stay in for pushing. Do you like bathes? Do they relax you? It doesn't hurt to have the pool there you may not know that it will be something you like or don't like until your in the middle of labor.

supermod.gif who isbelly.gifwith #4  has jumpers.gif . Believe in homeschool.gif,bfinfant.gif,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF,h20homebirth.gif,goorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif

Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof1/1ontheway View Post

I think it's personal. I have heard moms say they couldn't stand being in the water. I've heard moms say they really enjoyed it while laboring but did not want to stay in for pushing. Do you like bathes? Do they relax you? It doesn't hurt to have the pool there you may not know that it will be something you like or don't like until your in the middle of labor.

I don't take baths, but if I had a bigger, nicer tub, I probably would on occasion. I'm too tall for the average size tub I have to feel comfortable. I do like going swimming/floating. LOL 

I also figure it would be smart to at least have it there as an option. If it does end up giving me relief, excellent, if not, well, no biggie. 

Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 AM

I had my firstborn in a hospital, no meds, but in your standard bed, legs up... Not my preference, but tho they talk a good game, you don't always get get to choose labor and delivery positions at the hospital. (thankfully I was fully dilated when I arrived and baby girl came about an hour later, so no huge complaints.)
But, moved to a different state about midway through pregnancy #2 & decided to have a midwife and deliver in a free standing birthing center, which was awesome! They had the birthing tub there, but I was on the fence about whether or not I would use it. All I could think about was getting in too early and ending up all prune-y. Certainly was not planning to give birth in it... But once you're in, it's hard to imagine getting back out, at least for me. I was already in transition when I got into the tub, and it was lovely. my midwife had a plastic birthing stool which I used in the tub, and that was very helpful. I ended up delivering in the tub , but on my knees, leaning up against the wall of the tub. My son was 9 lbs. 12Oz. Don't remember the circumference of his head, but his hand was up next to his head (thanks son!) so I won't say it didn't hurt, but I definitely think the water helped, and it really was a beautiful experience. We're done, but if we were to have another, I'd totally go that route again.

User Tag List