Interesting blog about the natural birth community... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
So, lets be honest.  Let's apply the same scrutiny and demand for evidence based care to OURSELVES as we apply to the traditional medical community.  It is kind of scary to look in the mirror and acknowledge our flaws as people and as a community- but it is so necessary.  Doing so will make us stronger.  Being honest about the down sides of the natural birthing community will make us better and more approachable.  We shouldn't be dogmatic.  We should be willing to re-asses and re-think and reconsider what we are saying.  We should realize that we are wrong sometimes.  That doesn't make us weak-  It makes us HONEST. 

http://mamabirth.blogspot.com/2013/04/getting-honest-about-midwifery-and.html?m=1

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really liked this post.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:49 PM

I totally agree. This is how I approached my home birth. I was all in until my very experienced midwife told us there was an emergency and it was time to transfer. At that point I gladly (well, I was in transition, so maybe glad is the wrong word) transferred. Sure, I was disappointed but I have no regrets about the decision.

There is a need for all birthing options to be available including home and hospital, and I feel that all should be scrutinized before a mom makes a decision where to birth.

That being said, I sure hope I get to stay home for this next one!

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 PM

And we need to stop making moms feel guilty for the choices they make. One of my clients is pregnant for the second time. She had a home birth with transfer the first time around and had an unmedicated vag birth in the hospital. She got grief for planning the home birth from one side , and then grief from the other side for agreeing to the transfer.

Now she is left feeling that no one will really be supportive because they all have some part of her birth that supports their agenda.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Sounds to me like she used the system exactly the right way. Home birth when low risk, transfer when risk increased. Good for her.

Wife to B partners.gifsince 6/2004, Mama to T wave.gif(10/11) and 1sttri.gif (8/13). We:signcirc1.gifbftoddler.gifmalesling.GIFfemalesling.GIFcd.giffamilybed1.gif

User Tag List