Alternatives to cord clamping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just something I thought of, is there something else you can do to avoid putting that plastic clamp on your baby that stays there? I cant remember if it stays on until it falls off or not?  ( it's been 2 years, lol)

Some people tie it with a string, right?  

stork-boy.gif Baby boy born July 30 2011     Baby boy #2 Aug 6 2013

#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The clamp gets taken off, as I recall, but I suppose you could tie it off instead. 

#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 PM

You could also look into doing a partial lotus birth and doing a cord burning. You also don't need to clamp the cord if you wait till after the placenta is born to cut.
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM

There are other options for cord care:

http://www.radiantbelly.com/supplies-cord-care.html

The umbilical cord tape is probably the most user friendly.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM

I like using a cord bander, but there are days when neither one of my banders is sterile. I really like the cord ring system (Birth with Love carries these) and there is  another rubber band system that Cascade carries. With each of the banding systems, baby ends up with a much smaller cord stump which is circular rather than fanned out like with the plastic clamps. The families who have done it with the plastic clamp for a hospital birth and the band system for OOH birth have preferred the band.

One of my Amish families also has a metal cord clip that they sterilize for when mom is in labor. My understanding is that it has been used in several dozen births and still works fine.

I have asked this question of midwifery groups I am part of, whether we need to clamp the cord at all. As the Wharton's jelly dissipates it constricts the vessels in the cord anyway so there is no danger of the baby bleeding out from the cut end if we delay cord cutting for an hour or so.

Personally, not clamping the cord in some way just feels like some part of the baby is going to leak. Maybe not blood, but something  more spiritual, some part of its essence. However, this last statement has no scientific validity or basis.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#6 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Cord burning! I found out about it after my newborns birth, wish I had known sooner, I would have done it over clamping.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page