Should I have a homebirth?? Help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two things:

1. I know that money is tight but I highly suggest looking in to the birth classes offered by BirthZone in Redmond. The two instructors, Liz and Wendy, are AMAZING and most of the moms and dads at class are planning home birth or birth center births. The classes (7 week series) really focus on ways to be ready for a natural birth. The series is $250 for all 7 weeks, but maybe ask if they offer a sliding scale? 

2. I'm planning a homebirth with midwife Roxanne Spring for next month. She's wonderful and my personality really clicked with her. He's the modwife at Snoqualmie Valley Midwifery. The only thing is I don't know if she does VBACs. (I didn't ask.)

Good luck!

#32 of 51 Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 PM

I felt similarly to you when I switched to an HBAC for my pregnancy before this one, at 26w, and chose hb in order to have *the* most supportive (while still safe) environment to achieve a VBAC, especially my first VBAC as it was pretty important to me. I didn't feel up for pushing back constantly if needed and had desired an OOH birth with my first child anyway. So OOH birth was still something I desired and I'm also in WA so knew birth centers were out (that's what I used in PA for my first birth and then we had non emergent transfer for c/s).  Where in WA are you?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#33 of 51 Old 06-17-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in Redmond. I was tools that no birth centers in the area could take VBACs for insurance reasons.

Alaina Nerine3/16/2011
Maddelyn Anne 10/14/2013

New arrival Coming soon!
#34 of 51 Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Putting aside statistical facts like home birth is safer, what's your OBs VBAC and repeat c/s rate? For example our local preferred VBAC OB has a 73%repeat c/s rate. So is he truly VBAC friendly if he doesn't try to talk anyone out of repeat c/s? And what tools does he have to help a mom VBAC? In general MWs provide 1 hr prenatal care appointments. That gives them time to talk to you about your fears (what if I'm too noisy? Who will clean up?). Time to palpate your baby's position and talk exercise and nutrition in the weeks leading up to the birth so baby is optimally positioned before labor starts. (Not all MWs are created equal but at least they have the time as opposed to an OB who can't spend an hour with you at every appointment!)
Then there is postpartum. Is your hospital baby friendly? Can you have delayed cord clamping without conditions? Can you refuse eye ointment, Vit K, glucose testing if you want? Will they do all those tests with you holding baby? Hearing screen?
How well will you sleep in hospital? How often do they come in at night post partum to check BP etc?
At home no one but baby wakes you during the night. No one pokes your baby without you there. You get to eat what you want, when you want. Want a lotus birth no problem. No negotiating for thirty seconds delayed cord clamping as long as you let doc hold your baby.
No post partum night sweats ( it's IV fluid). So many benefits to home.
#35 of 51 Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Momma just saw the financial concerns. Here in VA at least barter and payment plans are possible. You could also join a UC forum and lurk to get ideas on good resources like Dr. Gregory White's manual of emergency childbirth.
#36 of 51 Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Those are the reasons I'm going to try for a homebirth. Made an appointment for next week with Suzanne Thompson in Seattle. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the advice. Nice to know there are supportive people out there.

Alaina Nerine3/16/2011
Maddelyn Anne 10/14/2013

New arrival Coming soon!
#37 of 51 Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 PM

I think it depends on whether you would feel comfortable to birth at home (rather than worried about restrictions), more than anything. Personally, I can't find the rules regarding noise levels/visitors/etc. to apply in this situation, any more than they could tell a child who had just fallen and broken an arm or a leg not to be loud or an ambulance not to come for a medical emergency. Granted, they could say there are other places you could choose to have a child, but at the same time, if you have chosen your home, that's your right.

However, as you do seem much more satisfied with your doc this time, you might find you are also more satisfied with the hospital experience. And being with a doc that it sounds like you like/trust might be better than looking for a midwife with less time left.

#38 of 51 Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My VBAC was a homebirth as well. I went back and forth with wanting a hospital birth this time versus a homebirth. I had a hospy birth with my first, a homebirth with my second, and an emergency c-section with my third. The more research I did about my VBAC, the more things I found that were "against" me having a VBAC (suture type, suture material, time between pregnancies, etc.) I even changed providers at one point. My first provider had been recommended to me by a friend, and I liked her, but my friend didn't have VBAC-specific experience with her, so I didn't know for sure how that would end up. And I wanted to decline the eye ointment, which I couldn't do at that particular hospital (but I could keep my placenta). Then at the other hospital, I COULD decline the eye ointment, but I couldn't get my placenta without a court order. I'd been in contact with my midwife the whole time and finally decided firmly at 36 weeks that I was staying home. I still saw the second OB for that last month as well, and he was aware of my homebirth desires as well, and I was able to have the baby at home. It was my hardest birth yet, but I would still choose homebirth again if we're blessed with another baby.
applejuice likes this.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#39 of 51 Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 AM

I see you are really leaning toward the Homebirth. I am a vocal birther. My hospital births I was told I was scarring those in the next rooms. My attitude was so what I am giving birth here. Lol. At home I was worried I would wake the neighborhood. My roommate said she hardly heard me and my own kids slept through.

As for mess the midwife took care of all of it.
#40 of 51 Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Demeter, my first birth was an elective c-section, and I justified it using the same studies you cite. Factors I would consider with your decision are these:
1. How many children do you want to have? 1 cesarean can be relatively safe. However, the risks to Mom and baby increase exponentially with each surgery. And once you have a section, getting a VBAC is an incredibly difficult road.
2. Unless you have an incredibly supportive provider and hospital, many procedures at birth can be very counterproductive to having a natural, bonded birth experience, and most hospitals don't give you a choice. And you'll need to be heavily drugged, which can greatly impact breastfeeding. And recovery can be very slow and painful. All things to consider.

Alaina Nerine3/16/2011
Maddelyn Anne 10/14/2013

New arrival Coming soon!
#41 of 51 Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthuntamerc View Post

Those are the reasons I'm going to try for a homebirth. Made an appointment for next week with Suzanne Thompson in Seattle. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the advice. Nice to know there are supportive people out there.

Awesome, i hope it went well! I'd just like to add that i skipped childbirth classes and opted for reading books like Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Birthing From Within. These were very helpful for preparing for my home births. I highly recommend them, especially if you have any fears or want to be inspired by amazing home birth stories. Home birth can truly be an amazing experience...i have never been so in tune with my body and intuition and i have never experienced anything so miraculous. I cant speak for those who've had hospital births, maybe they would say the same thing about their births, but i know that a big reason why they were so amazing is because i felt very comfortable and in control. I didnt have to worry about being messed with or having to answer questions or being moved around, i could just be one with the flow of labor, relax into it and just breathe. I know those were the best possible birth experiences for my babies as well and that awareness has created a deep sense of satisfaction and gratitude that i will carry with me always.
#42 of 51 Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

I just recently had a HBAC 6 weeks ago, and as a mama that had a baby in both a hospital and home setting, I can whole heartedly say I would never have achieved my vbac in the hospital. Home was absolutely the best choice for me. Best of luck to you.
#43 of 51 Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM

We've wandered pretty far afield but:

If one can have sex in your apartment, one can birth in your apartment.

#44 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 05:20 AM

I don't get the sex/birth noise volume comparisons. Sorry, I just think they're very far fetched- at least for me. I have teenagers in the house and have spent my entire adult life as a mother, never freely vocalizing during sex. Your volume is a choice then. During birth, however, I don't experience brief pleasure, but longer durations of unbearable pain, and I shriek like a banshee- like I'm being killed, because that's what it feels like. Not controllable. I would take noise level into consideration (not that it's a make or break issue) and I think the OP is smart to do so.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#45 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

There are quiet birthers too, and those who do make a good deal of noise but it's moaning. I've seen hypnobabies birth videos where the mom barely made a sound. I tried hypnobabies and the hypnosis in birthing part didn't take, so I did need to make loudish moans. Only one scream though, when I was stuck in an uncomfortable position in transition.

#46 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

More often than not I hear stories of women thinking they were way louder than they actually were. But, I have not doubt there are those super loud birthers. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#47 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM

I guess my point is less about how loud a given woman will be during childbirth, and more about sex volume being a poor predictor of birth noise. No doubt everyone is different, but I just don't get the comparison.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#48 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM

I've had a hospital birth and a homebirth, and it's definitely a far, far more relaxing experience to be at home than in even a very progressive, wonderful hospital.  Just my 2c!

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#49 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I guess my point is less about how loud a given woman will be during childbirth, and more about sex volume being a poor predictor of birth noise. No doubt everyone is different, but I just don't get the comparison.

True. Probably the more accurate thing to say is, "If you can have a baby in an apartment, you can have a baby in an apartment."  Meaning, if your little infant is going to live in the apartment after she/he is born, your neighbors may as well get used to a little noise. ROTFLMAO.gif   

Catwmandu and Queen of Thorns like this.

#50 of 51 Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

blush.gif

I didn't say it was any sort of predictor!!! Eeeep! Where are you even getting that?!

I am saying, women birthing are not louder than some "loud" people engaged in sex. 

#51 of 51 Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Hello, members!  

This thread became difficult to follow because some members continued to focus on the OP while others verged off topic. The topic was about the research into the risks of vaginal birth and the merits of elective cesarean section.  

Members did not feel we can offer a balanced discussion of this subject in the HB forum and I agree that this is not the forum for that discussion. I have moved the posts related to the topic of risks of vaginal birth and elective cesarean to their own thread in the Birth and Beyond forum so that all of our members can participate. I have also removed posts that focused solely on moderation because those belong in Questions and Suggestions. 

Members wishing to further explore the subject of vaginal birth and elective c-section can find that discussion here beginning with Demeter's first post to this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1387317/spin-off-discussing-the-merit-of-vaginal-birth-and-elective-cesarean

Feel free to PM me with questions. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page