Birth certificates in/around Atlanta - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Help! I live out of the country (in Abu Dhabi) where it is illegal for midwives to attend home births. So I decided to travel to my parents' house in Cumming, GA (north of Atlanta).

I was worried about how long the birth certificate might take, as I'd like to get the baby home as quickly as possible. I was figuring on a few weeks to a month including expediting the passport...

Well, my dad called the county to ask and was told that for homebirths the birth certificate takes a minimum of THREE MONTHS!

I just can't imagine waiting that long to start the passport application and to get home to my husband! It would mean probably 5 months away from home.

Does anyone know any way to expedite the birth certificate (besides hospital birth, which apparently gets you a birth certificate within two weeks...)?

My only other option for a homebirth would be to hire a traveling midwife to come here, but my husband and I are worried that it could be tricky legally...

I'm so frustrated!

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Oh, gosh!! I have no idea but remember that it was a big ol' PIA to get one here in MD.  Good on you for thinking ahead. Can anyone help this mama?? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Where are you seeking to have your child's citizenship? I don't have any real advice, other than to tell you who I would contact for advice on the matter. I might contact local authorities (if it makes you more comfortable, you could perhaps say that you are concerned that you might give birth in the US because you have a visit to your parents scheduled close to your due date, rather than that your specific plan is to give birth in the US), and that you would not want to delay of you and the baby should this happen to see if they can provide assistance. Or you might contact an embassy office to see if they can offer any advice. 

#4 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

No, we are all US citizens, so that's not the problem. After contacting the county and talking to various people in local government, it seems that 3 months is just the way it is. They take their sweet time investigating your home birth and that's that.

So we've had to make the very tough decision not to have a home birth. It would mean being away from home for 5 or 6 months and that's kind of the opposite of what a homebirth should be, unfortunately.

Under those circumstances it's better to have the baby at a hospital in Abu Dhabi, then just insist on going home as soon as humanly possible...

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page