Placenta Smoothies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone choosing to consume some of their placenta? I am curious about this and interested to learning more about how it is done. I have heard smoothies, or just eating a piece or getting it dried and encapsulated. 

Also looking for other ideas of what to do with the placenta. Thinking of burying it under a tree.

#2 of 17 Old 07-02-2013, 02:54 PM

I've done the smoothie, then drying and encapsulating with my last two births, and consuming the placenta made a world of difference during my post partum recovery. I did smoothies the first few days; just rinsed the placenta really well, trimmed off the membranes, then added a few small pieces to the blender along with yogurt and strawberries (so if there was any pink chunks I could just say it was strawberry, lol!) I couldn't even tell there was anything "extra" in the smoothie. This time around I'll probably make my usual green smoothie with a little placenta addition.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 17 Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#4 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

This is great information you guys! Thank you! I talked to my midwife yesterday and she was saying the smell and taste of the placenta is very "intense", but it sounds like from what you all are saying is that it really doesn't. 

I definitely want to bury some under a special tree, the rest of it I would like to consume. This gives me lots of ideas. I guess I could always try eating it raw and if for some reason I don't like the taste, I could always dry it and encapsulate it.

#5 of 17 Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Honestly, I couldn't taste it at all in the smoothie. You do have to rinse it very well to get all the blood out. From what I remember it does have a strong coppery (blood) smell until you rinse it. After that it's kind of like any raw meat in that it has it's own scent but nothing overpowering.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#6 of 17 Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Recipe for Raw Placenta Smoothie

This recipe gives a new mother an enjoyable post-birth revitalising fruit drink packed with her body’s own uniquely designed healing nutrients AND IT TASTES GREAT!

• approximately 3 inch round piece of raw placenta
  • 1 organic banana
  • 1 punnet of organic berries (raspberries, blackberries or strawberries)
  • (optional) Small handful of rehydrated goji berries (soak berries for 5 minutes in boiled water, then drain) GREAT FOR BOOSTING IMMUNE SYSTEMS WEAKENED BY A MORE DIFFICULT OR LONG LABOUR AND AFTER INTERVENSION OR C-SECTION BIRTHS

Blend fruits and add 50-150ml of water until smoothie is a drinkable consistency – serveimmediately, refrigerate leftovers – must be consumed within 24 hours.

- See more at: http://placentanetwork.com/placenta-smoothies/#sthash.dQ2ftWGE.dpuf

I just thought I share what I found, haven't tried it yet but looks tempting...

Recipe for Raw Placenta Smoothie

This recipe gives a new mother an enjoyable post-birth revitalising fruit drink packed with her body’s own uniquely designed healing nutrients AND IT TASTES GREAT!

approximately 3 inch round piece of raw placenta
    1 organic banana
    1 punnet of organic berries (raspberries, blackberries or strawberries)
    (optional) Small handful of rehydrated goji berries (soak berries for 5 minutes in boiled water, then drain) GREAT FOR BOOSTING IMMUNE SYSTEMS WEAKENED BY A MORE DIFFICULT OR LONG LABOUR AND AFTER INTERVENSION OR C-SECTION BIRTHS

Blend fruits and add 50-150ml of water until smoothie is a drinkable consistency – serve immediately, refrigerate leftovers – must be consumed within 24 hours.

#7 of 17 Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Great! This is so helpful!

#8 of 17 Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 PM

I agree with everyone else, once it's in the smoothie you really can't taste or smell it. I had my husband cut the majority of my placenta (i have large placenta)  into one to two inch cubes. the first day i had two or three chunks, and then after that i had one cube per smoothie, once a day, for about a week or so. it made a huge difference in my recovery time

#9 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Great! This is all really helpful. I have decided to have a smoothie right after birth and I just put a deposit down for someone to come to the house and do placenta encapsulation as well. Plus I do plan to bury a piece of it with the child when s/he is older.

#10 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also couldn't taste it in mine. Dh just cut pieces off and threw it in with a mix of banana and frozen berries. Tasted exactly like a berry smoothie!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 17 Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 PM

I'm starting to wonder why I should encapsulate it and not just turn it into smoothies. Does anyone have any input on the difference?

I was shopping and they had blenders on sale (hubby wants me to have "special" things and not use our kitchen stuff for this lol), so I needed the blender for the encapsulation process, but why not just use it to make placenta smoothies? I mean I was going to the trouble of finding a good deal on a food dehydrator, thinking about how I would have to freeze it until I could deal with it, worrying about getting too busy with the baby and not wanting to do it anymore. So maybe this would be easier.

#12 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 AM

That's a good question...

My challenge is that I'd probably be doing the prep myself (which would just be rinsing and cutting, right?  And then somehow freezing it so I could take a hunk out at a time for a smoothie every day or whatever?) because DH is so squeamish.  I'd rather not have to worry about it post-birth myself.  But at $250...I don't know, maybe I can convince him otherwise because he's also cheap.  ;)

Or I wonder if my friend who is coming to help would do it...she's super interested in anatomy and physiology and is not squeamish that way, but she's also a vegetarian.  ROTFLMAO.gif

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#13 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM

I encapsulated it because I wanted it to last longer. Its like any other "meat" in that it will start to go bad, even under refrigeration. I suppose if you cut into small chunks and just froze it you could continue to use it in smoothies that way. I don't own a dehydrator (I wish I did!) I just turned my oven to the very lowest setting to dry it out.

#14 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

That's a good question...

My challenge is that I'd probably be doing the prep myself (which would just be rinsing and cutting, right?  And then somehow freezing it so I could take a hunk out at a time for a smoothie every day or whatever?) because DH is so squeamish.  I'd rather not have to worry about it post-birth myself.  But at $250...I don't know, maybe I can convince him otherwise because he's also cheap.  ;)

Or I wonder if my friend who is coming to help would do it...she's super interested in anatomy and physiology and is not squeamish that way, but she's also a vegetarian.  ROTFLMAO.gif

My midwife says she will rinse it for me and cut a few pieces so I can have smoothies until I'm ready to encapsulate. I've been thinking about how I could freeze the whole thing for smoothies without it sticking together. Do you think putting cut pieces into ice cube trays would work? Or maybe lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper and putting the pieces in a container after they are frozen.

I'm being a little silly wanting to encapsulate myself, my midwife can refer me to ladies who will do it for $100-150. I just really want to, and was hoping to make a youtube video out of it. I think $250 is justified, I understand it's a bit time consuming, I just feel I am capable of doing it myself.

#15 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

Do you think putting cut pieces into ice cube trays would work? Or maybe lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper and putting the pieces in a container after they are frozen.

I'm being a little silly wanting to encapsulate myself, my midwife can refer me to ladies who will do it for $100-150. I just really want to, and was hoping to make a youtube video out of it. I think $250 is justified, I understand it's a bit time consuming, I just feel I am capable of doing it myself.

Either of those options would work for freezing small pieces. You just want to make sure to transfer them to a freezer bag or container once they have frozen so they don't get freezer burnt.

The encapsulation process is actually extremely simple. It seems like it's time consuming to think about, but if you have one of those capsule makers they go together in no time.

#16 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 PM

We wrapped each individual piece in siran wrap and then ziplock bagged the pieces
#17 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemoon View Post

Also looking for other ideas of what to do with the placenta. 

Or, like so many fellow HB mamas, you could just put your placenta in the freezer and forget about it for years to come... 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1366874/homebirth-mamas-how-long-was-your-placenta-in-your-freezer

ROTFLMAO.gif

Another interesting think you can do (if you don't want to consume it) is to donate it to canine search and rescue training. We have one in my area and they were interested. Unfortunately, I underestimated priorities post-baby and, yes, 2+ years later placenta in freezer. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page